View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 3:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Meaning of Life as answered by the Dalai Lama 
QB Coach

Post Re: The Meaning of Life as answered by the Dalai Lama
Sorry Pablo, but if you're going to quote it, you may want to quote the whole thing, otherwise you change the context.

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Funny thing by way of discussion, Jesus wasn't a "religious leader" he is the Son of God. Christianity didn't take shape until AFTER he was back in heaven.

Just thought I'd help clarify....

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 19th, 2014, 2:59 pm
QB Coach

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Sorry Pablo, but if you're going to quote it, you may want to quote the whole thing, otherwise you change the context.

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Funny thing by way of discussion, Jesus wasn't a "religious leader" he is the Son of God. Christianity didn't take shape until AFTER he was back in heaven.

Just thought I'd help clarify....

What you added doesn't change the context at all (in my opinion). It still stays that to sell you possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Adding "Then come, follow me" is a separate thought (to me). I read it to say that he's telling people that if they want to be perfect, they must first sell/give away everything to the poor (which will earn them treasure in heaven), and then also come and follow Jesus. The sentence structure is such that it reads as: if you want to be perfect, do _______ and ______, which will get you _______. Then, also come follow me (to be perfect).

That's my interpretation anyway. I could be wrong...

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

March 20th, 2014, 3:57 am
QB Coach

But it also helps to understand the whole story. You have a rich young ruler who wanted to know what he needed to do (his efforts), in order to get eternal life, and Jesus told him to obey the commands. To which the young man replied that he had obeyed all of the earthly commandments, and this is where Jesus identifies his pride (in my opinion) because his next statement is: "What do I still lack?" This is where Jesus exposes the man's heart, by identifying that he needed to sell all of his possessions and give them to the poor, and then follow Jesus. Who in another section says that he doesn't have a place to lay his head. Because he is constantly moving, working, healing, and ministering to the people. This just helps to give you the context of the whole story.

How many of us are works or personal effort driven in our own theology, whatever it may be? I used to be VERY works driven, but as I grew personally, I began to see it from a different perspective, and began to try and minister to the people. One of the BIGGEST difficulties in this forum, is that we are scattered abroad, so for me to live my words before you is impossible. All you have is my perspective to go off of, and not the actions that back my words up. It's REALLY hard to be a friend, and love a friend, when all you have is a faulty communication pattern of a group forum.

Having said that, the DL does represent some good characteristics but it still remains a works driven ministry. To obtain this, you have to do that. Jesus only calls us to decide. "Come, follow me!" Will we do it or not, that's the decision point. The works come after, but only in the context of living and walking with him daily. It's a natural outflow of what's going on in your heart. I don't know if I've explained it all that well but I've tried, and I don't want to hijack the thread.....

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 20th, 2014, 8:19 am
RIP Killer

I left out part because there are so many versions and interpretations of the Bible, I was just trying to focus on the key element that TM seemed to be calling the DL on. Yours seems to be the NIV version but that last line can also be...

"and come and follow me" King James

"Then come back and follow me" International Standard Version

"and come after me" Aramaic Bible in Plain English

However, that line was irrelevant to the point I was trying to make as TJ correctly pointed out. Also, this was only one of many instances in the Bible that asked the well to do to give to the poor.

March 20th, 2014, 8:57 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

true story bro!

March 20th, 2014, 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2