View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Millennials PEW survey 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Millennials PEW survey
There's a reason Mark Twain said there's lies, damn lies and statistics.

The article is based on a poll where the writer is making judgements based on things that really have no bearing.

50% identify as indépendant : DUH. Being associated with a party is annoying right now. If you're a democrat, you're labeled a liberal or progressive and if you're a conservative, you're labeled a racist, a tea-bagger, etc.. In this age of anti-bullying and PC everything, would you be identifying with either if you were growing up today? Only 27% identified as Democrat.

Half of millenials that identified as independent would lean democrat: This is where the writer starts making assumptions, and we know where assumptions get us. He's basing it off individual issues, with no correlation between them. Independent and support legalized weed.... they'd lean democrat. Really? Independent and support Gay Marriage... they'd lean democrat. Again, really? I identify conservative and support both. He's pigeonholing people into a slot that specifically didn't want to be in a slot (why thy picked independent) to try to push a story. Both sides do it, but it's so obvious in this case, it just rubs me the wrong way.

As for some of the other values that they associate with a party... 1 in 4 being married has more to do with the economy where most kids are moving home with parents as opposed to getting married right out of high school like baby boomers. And all republicans aren't married, just like all democrats aren't single. And being non-religious isn't a democrat only trait. Again, with society today being all about bashing religion, it doesn't surprise me that people are identifying as not being religious.

And I agree with Blue that a lot of it has to do with the social issues. As a christian, I have beliefs, but those beliefs apply to me. How I live my life. Not how I feel others should live theirs. Until people stop trying to make others live up to your personal beliefs, you won't make anyone say "hey, I wanna be like that guy." You'll just keep getting "stop telling me what I should do."

March 11th, 2014, 2:22 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
The article is based on a poll where the writer is making judgements based on things that really have no bearing.

Isn't that what you are doing below as well (and all of us do to a degree)? Read on...

njroar wrote:
50% identify as indépendant : DUH. Being associated with a party is annoying right now. If you're a democrat, you're labeled a liberal or progressive and if you're a conservative, you're labeled a racist, a tea-bagger, etc.. In this age of anti-bullying and PC everything, would you be identifying with either if you were growing up today? Only 27% identified as Democrat.

For me it wouldn't have anything to do with "anti-bullying and PC everything", it would have to do with the current party platforms and their track record the last 25 years or so. Who wants to associate with either parties failed policies during their lifetimes? What great political leader do they have to look up to? Obama portrayed himself to be different, that is why they all went gaga over him, only to find out he was more of the same... What is encouraging to me is that this age group see's less difference between the two parties than any of the older generations - finally, people are seeing what I've called Coke/Pepsi for years now!

njroar wrote:
Half of millenials that identified as independent would lean democrat: This is where the writer starts making assumptions, and we know where assumptions get us. He's basing it off individual issues, with no correlation between them. Independent and support legalized weed.... they'd lean democrat. Really? Independent and support Gay Marriage... they'd lean democrat. Again, really? I identify conservative and support both. He's pigeonholing people into a slot that specifically didn't want to be in a slot (why thy picked independent) to try to push a story. Both sides do it, but it's so obvious in this case, it just rubs me the wrong way..

They not only lean democrat, they vote democrat - just look at exit polls from the last couple of elections. Social issues are part of the equation, part of it is simply how out of touch the Republicans (sad to say my old party of choice) have become. As America continues to become more diverse, the party has become more exclusive instead of inclusive. This will be essentially party suicide over time until they figure it out.

njroar wrote:
As for some of the other values that they associate with a party... 1 in 4 being married has more to do with the economy where most kids are moving home with parents as opposed to getting married right out of high school like baby boomers. And all republicans aren't married, just like all democrats aren't single. And being non-religious isn't a democrat only trait. Again, with society today being all about bashing religion, it doesn't surprise me that people are identifying as not being religious.

It's the economy? Sure it has some minimal impact on marriage, but this has been trending this way since the early 70's regardless of economic cycles during this time... Religion is more and more out of touch everyday as well. Again, it needs to adapt to be more inclusive, not the other way around. So rigid and attempting to hold onto outdated values that it turns young people off. Maybe there is good reason people are bashing religion. These numbers have been trending this way since the 50's.

These trends are also not US-centric, but what the entire globe (at least in the more developed countries) are seeing as well. In fact, we probably are lagging trend-wise what has been happening in Europe, Japan, etc. There is some globalization effect in this study as well.

njroar wrote:
And I agree with Blue that a lot of it has to do with the social issues. As a christian, I have beliefs, but those beliefs apply to me. How I live my life. Not how I feel others should live theirs. Until people stop trying to make others live up to your personal beliefs, you won't make anyone say "hey, I wanna be like that guy." You'll just keep getting "stop telling me what I should do."

Amen brother!

March 11th, 2014, 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Player of the Year - Defense

Marriage has lost a lot of value in the last 30 years, and will likely grow increasingly irrelevant. Whereas couples cohabitating may have been seen as a taboo 30 years ago, it's a widely accepted practice today. About half of millennials also saw their parents' marriages crash and burn, leading them to be skeptical of the institution. If you're not deeply religious, there's really no point to get married unless you want to have children. A growing number of people are deciding not to have children, and those that do are having fewer of them later in life.

In other words, if you get married before the age of 28 today, you're either deeply religious or a weirdo, generally speaking.

March 12th, 2014, 11:23 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Blueskies wrote:
As I've written before on this forum, the only hope for the Republican party/conservative ideology in the long-run is to give up the social fight.

Young people COULD eventually come around to conservative economic ideas once they get a job and start paying a meaningful amount of taxes, but their social views are unlikely to ever change.

Outside of one edit (see the bold), blueskies is completely correct. Social conservatism will drive young people away and that gap will only continue to grow. I am a 26 year old secondary teacher and I have seen students nearly riot over same sex marriage.

March 17th, 2014, 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2