View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently February 25th, 2018, 9:14 pm



Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 iPhone 6. 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 2291
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: iPhone 6.
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
rao wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Normally I'd agree with you, but my buddy's iPhone 6 Plus is already scratched. And I'm seeing reports like this: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-ipho ... em-2014-11

Hadn't seen that. Maybe it is more of a problem with new phones. I still wouldn't get a screen protector though. Don't put other things in your pocket with your phone, and don't put your phone face down, and you will be extremely unlikely to get any scratches.


Why not just get one to be safe? Seems kinda weird to be against something so cheap that can protect you from having a lapse of judgment that ruins a very expensive device. It's not so hard to imagine someone forgetting they have keys or change in their pocket when they are in a rush.

Two reasons:
1. They diminish the look of the screen. One of the main features of a phone is the vibrancy, color, resolution, etc. of the screen. I've never seen a screen protector that doesn't diminish the look of the screen (especially not a cheap one).
2. They are a waste of money. I've never had a scratch on a screen of any phone I've had that could be prevented by a screen protector. I've had chips from dropping the phone, but a protector wouldn't prevent that.

It's not worth it to me to spend money on something that's not necessary. For the most part, even keys & coins won't scratch a smartphone screen. So I won't spend any money on one.


1. I can understand the vibrancy of colors issue it is a definite issue with screen protectors, but I don't see how it would hurt resolution. I actually prefer screen protectors because some can help reduce glare which I find more annoying than a reduction in the vibrancy of the screen.

2. I spent 3-4 years working in the sale and repair of cell phones. I've seen the actual damage that a good screen protector can help to prevent from repeat customers. Screens have gotten more durable over the years though, so I would say they are less of a necessity while still giving good benefits. You obviously take good care of your phones, but from my experience the average person does not. I find saying they are a waste of money incorrect in most cases.

Keys can scratch a screen, but it's not just the keys since many people have their keys on a key chain with other random things attached. Coins probably not much of a risk since they do tend to be worn smooth from circulation.


November 27th, 2014, 12:23 am
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3527
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: iPhone 6.
Man you guys with your 6's are making me jealous. Every day I find one more thing that this junk Android phone does that its not supposed to. Two days ago, I learned that while typing a text, it just assumes you want everything deleted, so it does. THEN, i noticed this OS will assume I wanted to watch a YouTube video when I touched my "Messages" button. And just this morning, when I got a text, I picked the phone up and INSTANTLY it went to Weather. Cant imagine what it'll do if I ever have to call 911.

Junk.

Come on January 2016..


December 15th, 2014, 9:08 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: iPhone 6.
kdsberman wrote:
Man you guys with your 6's are making me jealous. Every day I find one more thing that this junk Android phone does that its not supposed to. Two days ago, I learned that while typing a text, it just assumes you want everything deleted, so it does. THEN, i noticed this OS will assume I wanted to watch a YouTube video when I touched my "Messages" button. And just this morning, when I got a text, I picked the phone up and INSTANTLY it went to Weather. Cant imagine what it'll do if I ever have to call 911.

Junk.

Come on January 2016..

There is something wrong with your phone and you should have it checked. I'm an Apple fan, but Android isn't like that. That's a problem. A good Android phone will work just fine. Just like an iPhone will work fine. But both will suck if there is something wrong with them. I recommend you get your phone checked.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 15th, 2014, 11:08 am
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3121
Post Re: iPhone 6.
I've told kdsberman that numerous times, but he doesn't want to listen.

Legitimate issues are things like:
I want app X, but it's only on the iPhone
App Y tends to crash sometimes
The settings menu is too big/confusing
The eye-tracking features don't really work
S-Voice sucks
There's no iMessage
etc

But just randomly opening apps, crazy errors, etc. is not normal. You have a defective handset. You should've gotten it replaced under warranty, it might be too late now.


December 15th, 2014, 1:09 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3527
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: iPhone 6.
"I dont want to listen" because I've "listened" to every Android user that keeps talking me into getting one of their junk phones and its the same results. And I keep telling YOU this, but apparently you dont seem to listen:

My first Android phone - Same errors and junk phone as mine now
My wifes first android phone - Same as above
My brothers Android - Same thing, except his just out of no where quit working (3 months old)
My sisten in law - Same And she had the brand new hottest android phone on the market Problems upon problems.
My second Android phone after listening to all their users telling me its the way to go and me being dumb and listening to them - Same exact thing. Problems like crazy.
My wifes second Android phone - Same thing after I talked her into getting one because EVERYONE says theyre good.
My co-worker who made the switch AND HIS WIFE - SAME THING. Junk. Same problems as mine and my wifes.

But you're right, i must have a dud. Crazy that I never ever had a dud iPhone, or ANY of the above people. All personal preference I get it, but its clearly not operator error (unless you're talking about operating system error).


December 15th, 2014, 2:12 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3121
Post Re: iPhone 6.
Have you called Samsung? Gone to a Best Buy and talked to one of their employees?

There are a lot of odd things about Galaxy phones. Complex settings. Duplicative apps. It can be really confusing for someone coming from an iPhone. But things like text messages deleting themselves, wrong apps opening, etc. are not normal. Don't know how many times I have to tell you this.

Basically, what you're saying is that you bought a Ford card and the brakes don't work, therefore all Ford cars must have faulty brakes. You got a lemon. I don't know why you haven't tried to get a replacement phone. Maybe you just like to have something to complain about?


December 15th, 2014, 3:12 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3527
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: iPhone 6.
Blueskies wrote:
Have you called Samsung? Gone to a Best Buy and talked to one of their employees?

There are a lot of odd things about Galaxy phones. Complex settings. Duplicative apps. It can be really confusing for someone coming from an iPhone. But things like text messages deleting themselves, wrong apps opening, etc. are not normal. Don't know how many times I have to tell you this.

Basically, what you're saying is that you bought a Ford card and the brakes don't work, therefore all Ford cars must have faulty brakes. You got a lemon. I don't know why you haven't tried to get a replacement phone. Maybe you just like to have something to complain about?


Love it.


December 15th, 2014, 3:58 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: iPhone 6.
kdsberman wrote:
"I dont want to listen" because I've "listened" to every Android user that keeps talking me into getting one of their junk phones and its the same results. And I keep telling YOU this, but apparently you dont seem to listen:

My first Android phone - Same errors and junk phone as mine now
My wifes first android phone - Same as above
My brothers Android - Same thing, except his just out of no where quit working (3 months old)
My sisten in law - Same And she had the brand new hottest android phone on the market Problems upon problems.
My second Android phone after listening to all their users telling me its the way to go and me being dumb and listening to them - Same exact thing. Problems like crazy.
My wifes second Android phone - Same thing after I talked her into getting one because EVERYONE says theyre good.
My co-worker who made the switch AND HIS WIFE - SAME THING. Junk. Same problems as mine and my wifes.

But you're right, i must have a dud. Crazy that I never ever had a dud iPhone, or ANY of the above people. All personal preference I get it, but its clearly not operator error (unless you're talking about operating system error).

What you're describing sounds exceedingly rare, but I have a couple questions. When you say they bought the "brand new hottest android phone", which model exactly would that be? I have had many sales reps try to sell me on phones that were in no way the best ones on the market, but they did their best to pitch them as just that. When you're comparing any android phone to and iphone, you really have to make sure it's the top end phones being compared. So given your time frame, unless they bought the Galaxy S5, HTC One, or Moto X (and maybe one or two other models), they don't have a phone that is really comparable to an iphone. As to your specific issues, as Blueskies has said, text messages just deleting or other things that you mentioned are not common and are signs of serious problems. Those are things that you should take the phone back and make sure you didn't get a lemon. They'll give you a brand new phone in that case. Regarding your other statements about "problems like crazy", I'd be curious to know specifically what you mean.

And again, I say all this not as an android apologist or anything. I'm an apple fan and I use an iPhone, so if anything I shouldn't care. But I do. If nothing else, I'm just curious.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 15th, 2014, 4:18 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3121
Post Re: iPhone 6.
I've used:

Galaxy SI
Galaxy SIII
Note 2
Note 3
Nexus 5
Moto X 2014

...And I've never had the problems you're claiming. I've also had an iPhone 5 for work at one point, and own an iPad. There are things iOS does much better (and vice versa...the lack of back button on iOS bothers me to this day) and it's easier to use, but it's not like modern Android handsets are fundamentally broken.

I'm starting to lean more towards iOS, actually, and was considering replacing my daily driver Note 3 with a 6+, but having to run everything through iTunes (which has become an absolutely awful piece of software) makes me hesitant.


December 15th, 2014, 4:53 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: iPhone 6.
Blueskies wrote:
I've used:

Galaxy SI
Galaxy SIII
Note 2
Note 3
Nexus 5
Moto X 2014

...And I've never had the problems you're claiming. I've also had an iPhone 5 for work at one point, and own an iPad. There are things iOS does much better (and vice versa...the lack of back button on iOS bothers me to this day) and it's easier to use, but it's not like modern Android handsets are fundamentally broken.

I'm starting to lean more towards iOS, actually, and was considering replacing my daily driver Note 3 with a 6+, but having to run everything through iTunes (which has become an absolutely awful piece of software) makes me hesitant.

This really isn't much of an issue any more. I can't tell you the last time I synced my iPhone to iTunes. Everything is wireless now. Technically, iTunes is the still the main portal or backup for everything, but I almost never do anything related to my phone through it. Maybe a few times per year. Maybe I should be backing up more, but even then it's pretty simple.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 15th, 2014, 5:05 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3121
Post Re: iPhone 6.
My girlfriend just upgraded her 4S to a 6+. Trying to bring her music over was a multi-hour nightmare. It worked, ended up syncing everything to Google Music cloud storage, then downloading it on another PC, but it was a complete hassle. Looking back, probably should've just paid $25 for iTunes Match. I called Apple support at one point and the guy even flat out told me iTunes sucks and to avoid using it as much as possible.


December 15th, 2014, 5:29 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3527
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: iPhone 6.
Got my 6 a couple months ago, and so far not a single hiccup. Not 1. Glad to be back to Apple and not junk. The guy I sold my S4 to has already complained about it. Yup...MUST be operator error.


May 13th, 2015, 7:28 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: iPhone 6.
kdsberman wrote:
Got my 6 a couple months ago, and so far not a single hiccup. Not 1. Glad to be back to Apple and not junk. The guy I sold my S4 to has already complained about it. Yup...MUST be operator error.

Dude, nobody said it was operator error. What we all said was that it sounded like there was an issue with your phone and that you should have it checked. The fact that you sold it and the person who bought it is still having problems lends credence to just that. But, regardless I'm glad you have a phone that works for you now. As I said before I'm an Apple fan as well and haven't had any major issues with any Apple products.

But, everything you described sounds like a lemon phone, not an Android issue. I suppose that's irrelevant now though....

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


May 13th, 2015, 8:31 pm
Profile
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 867
Post Re: iPhone 6.
I just switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S6. I hated my iphone, i don't know now many calls I missed where the phone just wouldn't ring even though I know for a fact someone was attempting to call me. Overall the O/S is just about the same, the only thing I miss is the guided access so I could hand my phone to my kid an not worry about him doing something he shouldn't be.


May 13th, 2015, 9:34 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3121
Post Re: iPhone 6.
Samsung buries a ton of stuff in their Galaxies, and they do a really bad job explaining it or even telling people about it.

There's both a dedicated Kids Mode and an Easy Mode. Watch some videos on YouTube to figure out how to set it up.

To really get the most of an Android phone, you have to do some tinkering and see what suits your needs.

My suggestions would be:
Don't use the Samsung browser. Install Google Chrome and use that instead.
Don't use the Samsung mailbox app. Install gmail, Inbox by Dropbox, or Microsoft Outlook.
I would tell you to download and use the Google keyboard, but I heard Samsung really improved theirs on the S6. Still, maybe try out both.
Install Nova Launcher when you have an hour or so tinker around. You can make your phone more fluid and your homescreens more efficient.
Install Arcus and use their weather widget.
If you're a big Facebook user, install Hello and use that as your dialer app.
Setup Google Now and put Google bar on every homescreen (Nova launcher has a setting for this).
Go into Picasa and set up automatic photo backup. Google will store unlimited photos for you.


May 14th, 2015, 12:09 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.