View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 iPhone 6. 
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Post Re: iPhone 6.
If you're in the market for a new phone, you like big phones, and you don't mind/like using Android, I recommend picking up the Nexus 6. It's on sale on Google Play for $500/$550 depending on the storage. I just bought one to replace my Note.

The great thing about the phone is that it's completely unlocked and it works with any US carrier -- AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Cricket, etc. You can just get a SIM card for any of these carriers and pay on a month to month basis. If the quality drops, or someone is offering a better deal, you can switch at the end of the month, and there are no fees to pay. It's great.

June 8th, 2015, 12:18 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

Blueskies wrote:
If you're in the market for a new phone, you like big phones, and you don't mind/like using Android, I recommend picking up the Nexus 6. It's on sale on Google Play for $500/$550 depending on the storage. I just bought one to replace my Note.

The great thing about the phone is that it's completely unlocked and it works with any US carrier -- AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Cricket, etc. You can just get a SIM card for any of these carriers and pay on a month to month basis. If the quality drops, or someone is offering a better deal, you can switch at the end of the month, and there are no fees to pay. It's great.

Tell me more about this Nexus 6, how is it working out for you? I have an iphone 5 on its last leg and thinking of going this route rather than the newest Iphone and all the month to month fees Verizon wants to add. Looks like its on amazon for 350/400 depending on storage. All I need to do then is also purchase a Verizon Sim card and Im ready to go?

December 14th, 2015, 1:42 am

Google has discontinued it. You can still buy it, but it's over a year old now. I'd recommend getting a Nexus 5X instead. And that phone, like last year's 6, works on all four major carriers. You can get the 32GB version directly from Google for $380 (go to play.google.com).

Can you just take your iPhone 5 SIM card and stick it in your Nexus 5X when it shows up at your house? And be good to go? Yes and no. The iPhone 5 uses a micro SIM card, whereas the Nexus 5X requires a nano SIM card (as do newer model iPhones and really all newer phones nowadays). But you can take a pair of scissors and cut your micro SIM card and turn it into a nano SIM card. Sounds dangerous, but it's really fairly simple. Just search "How to cut your SIM card" and there are bunch of guides/YouTube videos showing you how to do it. Takes about 5 minutes.

If you do it right, then yes, it'll work perfectly fine. If you accidentally cut too much and screw it up, you'll have to go the Verizon store and get a new SIM card from then. They should be able to activate it.

But if you're willing to shell out $400 and buy your phone outright, you might consider moving to a different carrier. The big 4 carriers take advantage of the fact that most people don't want to/can't afford to buy their phones. The pre-paid carriers can give you service that's just as good, but they're unwilling to subsidize phones or loan you a handset. Cricket Wireless, for example, will give you unlimited talk+text plus 5GB for $45 a month. It uses the same network as AT&T, which is almost as good as Verizon's. Metro PCS will give you unlimited+talk and text plus 3GB for $40. It uses T-Mobile's network, which isn't as good, but has gotten a lot better recently. They finally started covering northern Michigan in just the last couple of months. But if you live in the boonies, you might want to stick with Verizon.

There's also Project Fi, which is Google's own service. It uses a combination of both Sprint and T-Mobile, switching back and forth between them depending on which signal is better. Most people aren't going to use it, because it only works with three phones (Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P) but it's completely pay-as-you-go. $20 per month for unlimted talk+text plus $1 for ever 100MB you use. If you're interested, you have to sign up for an invite and wait to get approved.

December 14th, 2015, 4:55 am

Also, just FYI, all the new iPhones (6, 6s, Plus variants) are unlocked as well and will work across carriers. You can buy them full price directly from Apple. But you're obviously going to be paying more for them. The same is true for the new Moto X.

Most of the Samsung/LG/HTC phones are built to order for each carrier, and don't really work well across carriers.

December 14th, 2015, 4:27 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

appreciate the info, thanks

December 16th, 2015, 12:20 am
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
appreciate the info, thanks

One thing to add re purchasing from Apple. I just did this, and basically you go to an Apple store and buy the phone. But, you can either buy it outright, or you can do it on an installment plan. On the installment plan, you pay a set amount to Apple each month, then every year when a new phone comes out you get the new version. You also get AppleCare as part of the installment plan. Ultimately, it's a better deal to just buy the phone outright, but that entails shelling out $600+ on day 1. For me, I want the latest & greatest every year, so I go with the installment plan. I'm willing to pay for the convenience.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 16th, 2015, 10:53 am
Head Cheerleader

Yes, had a crush on this device the day it was announced. Conditions did not allow me to get one, dad refused to buy me one. Got it just a couple of months back and it is just an amazing device. \:D/

February 25th, 2017, 3:27 am
William Clay Ford Sr.

Anyone that bought the i6, did you notice any duchbaggery as soon as the i7 was released?

I bought the i6plus for both my wife and myself. As soon as the i7 got released, there was an update for the i6. Ever since that update, both my wife's phone and mine have had some issues. My phone freezes up sometimes, other times it just kicks me right off the internet. My wife's phone keeps slipping into silent mode for the ringer and alarm clock. Non of these issues ever happened before the post i7 update.

I think they intentionally, introduced a few bugs in that update to get as many people as they could to trade up to the i7.

February 25th, 2017, 11:09 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:
Anyone that bought the i6, did you notice any duchbaggery as soon as the i7 was released?

I bought the i6plus for both my wife and myself. As soon as the i7 got released, there was an update for the i6. Ever since that update, both my wife's phone and mine have had some issues. My phone freezes up sometimes, other times it just kicks me right off the internet. My wife's phone keeps slipping into silent mode for the ringer and alarm clock. Non of these issues ever happened before the post i7 update.

I think they intentionally, introduced a few bugs in that update to get as many people as they could to trade up to the i7.

Layoff the conspiracies Billy. Bugs happen with lots of updates and especially when trying to use the most current phone OS with older hardware. I personally have had no problems with my phone for the entire time I've owned it, but I would be willing to bet we have different usage habits and a lot of different apps on our phones. It's possible your phones didn't correctly download the update or the hardware has been damaged somehow.

February 25th, 2017, 10:42 pm
Head Cheerleader

BillySims wrote:

Quite probable, but i have not faced any such issues even after the update. Have you got it checked by Apple?

March 6th, 2017, 10:20 am
William Clay Ford Sr.

mariad wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Quite probable, but i have not faced any such issues even after the update. Have you got it checked by Apple?

No, I have not gone to the Apple Store. Since it happened to both my wife and me at the same update, I just chalked it up to Apple playing games to get people fed up with their old phone enough to upgrade to the i7.

March 6th, 2017, 11:56 am
Megatron

BillySims wrote:
mariad wrote:
BillySims wrote:

No, I have not gone to the Apple Store. Since it happened to both my wife and me at the same update, I just chalked it up to Apple playing games to get people fed up with their old phone enough to upgrade to the i7.
FWIW my 6+ has been fine, though I am about ready to get the 7 (using their upgrade program).

March 13th, 2017, 9:39 am
William Clay Ford Sr.

TheRealWags wrote:
BillySims wrote:
mariad wrote:
BillySims wrote:

FWIW my 6+ has been fine, though I am about ready to get the 7 (using their upgrade program).

This late into the i7 run? You might as well wait for the i8!

March 13th, 2017, 10:00 am
Head Cheerleader

I just hope it does not disappoint like the I7

March 28th, 2017, 10:37 am
Megatron

mariad wrote:
I just hope it does not disappoint like the I7
What's wrong with the I7? I got mine a couple days ago and so far so good.

March 29th, 2017, 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next