View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 HBO to offer stand-alone streaming service in 2015 
Megatron

Post Re: HBO to offer stand-alone streaming service in 2015
njroar wrote:
Netflix and Amazon prime are two completely different services. They might have some crossover on free content, but there's a lot of material that is only on prime or only on netflix not to mention both now have original programming.
Blueskies wrote:
Yeah, they're two different competing services. Like HBO and Showtime or ESPN and Fox Sports.

You need a Netflix membership to use Netflix streaming. You need a Prime membership to use Amazon streaming. Since I don't have cable, I have both. Had Hulu for a while, but cancelled it because of the commercials and the content was pretty meh.

If you get the Fire Stick consider upgrading to the voice remote. It's nice.

The problem with the Apple TV is the lack of Amazon Prime video. As NJ said, you can beam Amazon Video content from an iPad or iPhone but then that device becomes worthless while you're watching. Not ideal IMO.
Yeah, I know they're different companies, but I think this is was confused me when I initially saw it:
Quote:
Eligible customers get a free 30-day trial of Netflix and Amazon Prime when they purchase Fire TV Stick.
So it comes with a free trial only.

November 3rd, 2014, 1:13 pm
Team MVP

Yeah, each is a pay service, about $9 each a month. The trials just let you see what they're offering and get you into habits lol.

Also Blue, as far as the individual apps tying up both iPad and TV with the mirroring, the alternative is tying up the iPad watching on the tablets, so it just gives you the option of watching on your bigger TV instead of the smaller tablets. So I don't view those as a down side, at all.

The way I see it, the devices like the FireTV, Chromecast, AppleTV, Roku, etc.. are one time fees so once you have them they're yours. The AppleTV hasn't gotten an upgrade in awhile, but they keep adding channels in 1080p. The rumors of a new one would only be a slight hardware upgrade and maybe they'd end up adding the new wifi system they added in the new iPad air2, but it wouldn't be a drastic upgrade. You can still get subscriptions to netflix, hulu and amazon prime and pay 1/3 of what you'd be paying on your cable bill. The only downside is sports. Have to find livestreams which aren't the best quality most of the time.

November 3rd, 2014, 1:22 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Well if you compare the Apple TV to the FireTV, the Apple TV is a little sluggish. It has the occasional load time and stutter that the Fire TV doesn't have. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I would obviously expect Apple to upgrade the processor. They could also add support for 4K video playback since Netflix now offers some streams in 4K. Faster wifi, and the ability to play (some) iOS games. There's also a rumor that the next Apple TV could double as a router/cable modem, the purpose of which would be to give Internet priority to the Apple TV. This isn't a problem for me, as I have a great Internet connection and good router, but might be valuable to some people. Could also see it working with HomeKit in the future, serving as some sort of hub for the connected home.

November 3rd, 2014, 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2