View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Gun Control 
William Clay Ford Sr.

Post Re: Gun Control
Pablo wrote:
So this is what it has come down to for me - I think I am coming down on the side of needing gun control, yet I'm also thinking of buying a gun and could use some help.

I'll be in Orlando in less than a month and given what happened there at the Pulse something obviously needs to be done, primarily along the lines of certain gun types and our background check system is obviously flawed.

Living in Dallas it has been an interesting week given the police massacre during the protests. On a personal note, we had a neighbors grandson and his friend go on a vandalism spree early Sunday morning that included slashing many car tire including all four of my wife's tires and three of my four.

With an 8 and 9-year-old boys living in the house, I've always thought having a gun could present more problems than it solves. But with that said, if I was to buy a gun simply for protection what do y'all recommend - I would be leaning towards a simple handgun. Also, for a smaller gun, I wouldn't need a gun locker but how do you keep it away from kids? A small locked box?

Thanks in advance...

First of all, if you buy a gun, make sure you get trained in the proper use and handling of it. It don't have to be a professional trainer. If you know someone you trust that has a handgun, that person can teach you.

Secondly, the problem is not a gun problem. It is a moral decay in society problem. And that is the very reason, EVERYONE, should own a gun.

Thirdly, your boys are old enough to learn the safe use and handling of a gun right along with you. Buy, a gun for your wife and yourself and all 4 of you spend some bonding time learning how to use guns and target practicing.

And lastly, I just bought my wife and I a pair of Springfield XDS 45's. They have a built in buffer system that reduces the recoil shock.

July 11th, 2016, 2:21 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Pablo wrote:
So this is what it has come down to for me - I think I am coming down on the side of needing gun control, yet I'm also thinking of buying a gun and could use some help.

I'll be in Orlando in less than a month and given what happened there at the Pulse something obviously needs to be done, primarily along the lines of certain gun types and our background check system is obviously flawed.

Living in Dallas it has been an interesting week given the police massacre during the protests. On a personal note, we had a neighbors grandson and his friend go on a vandalism spree early Sunday morning that included slashing many car tire including all four of my wife's tires and three of my four.

With an 8 and 9-year-old boys living in the house, I've always thought having a gun could present more problems than it solves. But with that said, if I was to buy a gun simply for protection what do y'all recommend - I would be leaning towards a simple handgun. Also, for a smaller gun, I wouldn't need a gun locker but how do you keep it away from kids? A small locked box?

Thanks in advance...

As to certain types needing regulation, once you take the time to be trained in them and understand how they work, you'll see how ridiculous the arguments are. The AR-15 is no different then the semi-automatic guns that were designed shortly after the start of the Revolutionary war. The function is no different. They aren't automatic and only look black and scary, so that's why the left is so scared of them.

If you take the basic NRA training course first, you'll handle the different caliber handguns and get a feel for which feels best to you. Once you settle on a caliber, try the different brands to find which one fits your hand best. Also try shotguns and rifles since you might just find those easier to handle. The training course isn't long, so you'll still need more practice and keep fresh. Police only need to be qualified once a year and they're also have one of the highest rates of accidental deaths, so just make sure to put in regular time.

As for the kids, get a lockable safe, but don't try to hide them. Educate them. Accidental deaths among children are always due to the children being unaware and in awe of something they see on tv, so they think it's a toy. Make sure it's unloaded and teach them what you learned in the safety class over and over again. Those basic rules will teach them and reinforce the ideas that it is not a toy and it needs to be respected. If they know how to use it properly, they are less likely to play around with it in an unsafe manner if you forget to lock the safe or leave it out by accident. Education is key. If you do get a handgun, you can get a small safe that they make that size. It can even fit in a nightstand drawer or in a cubby in the closet if you want it out of sight. Logistics are up you.

After the safety course and once you've gotten used to firing it and feel like you're ready to learn more, consider taking the home invasion course. It will show you the possible weak spots in your house/apartment and just keep you aware of places you would watch should anything happen, but also nongun related where you might possibly place more lights or reinforce better. No one is expecting a home intrusion, but no one is expecting a fire either. A gun for self-defense is no different than a fire extinguisher in that regards. It's a just incase investment, albeit you need more practice with one over the other :)

If you ever need help or have questions, feel free to ask anytime Pablo. We're always here, whether we agree or disagree on everything doesn't matter.

I have a Sig Sauer 929. Sigs are considered the BMW's of handguns, so they're a little costly, but they were what I learned on in the Navy and this model is what Homeland, etc.. uses, so I won't ever have an ammo problem. I can quick switch the barrels to go from .40cal to .357sig, or can get new barrel and mags and switch to 9mm. Not unique to sigs, but i could find the parts easier when I was looking. You'll find what feels best to you just like the rest of us have :)

July 11th, 2016, 11:03 pm
Megatron

Pablo wrote:

Thanks in advance...
Have you considered getting a shotgun instead of a handgun? More noise. Larger blast radius. Harder for someone to accidentally injure themselves, especially a smaller person. As the others have stated, regardless of what you choose to get, get some training and spend time at the range.

July 12th, 2016, 11:52 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

I started shooting at the age of 8.

Your boys can learn alongside you, Pablo.

If you don't plan to take it out of the house, a shotgun would be the prefered weapon of choice for home defense. Pistol is clearly superior for carrying around, however.

July 12th, 2016, 11:57 am
League MVP

BillySims wrote:
And lastly, I just bought my wife and I a pair of Springfield XDS 45's. They have a built in buffer system that reduces the recoil shock.

Im a huge Glock guy, but you made a good choice on handguns there.

August 7th, 2016, 9:42 pm
All State

I've only read the last 5 posts but I will tell you something. That was some of the most intelligent and plain old common sense that I have ever seen on this board! Congrats guys! Pablo, for pure home defense a 18" 12 gauge with 00buck can't be beat! Again, great job all of you!

August 10th, 2016, 8:42 pm
League MVP

Boz wrote:
I've only read the last 5 posts but I will tell you something. That was some of the most intelligent and plain old common sense that I have ever seen on this board! Congrats guys! Pablo, for pure home defense a 18" 12 gauge with 00buck can't be beat! Again, great job all of you!

I agree.

August 10th, 2016, 9:17 pm
RIP Killer

Remington 870 express - cheap, reliable, good capacity (7 rounds), and proven. My dad and I have used the 870 for years deer hunting. Excellent guns and you can find them on sale for $300 for the combo (slug and bird barrels)

November 1st, 2016, 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7