View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 18th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Tired of Coke or Pepsi? Time to make the switch 
Megatron

Post Tired of Coke or Pepsi? Time to make the switch

June 7th, 2016, 12:25 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Tired of Coke or Pepsi? Time to make the switch
I'd encourage everyone to vote 3rd party this year, any 3rd party - basically don't vote for Rep or Dem at all. That said, the Libertarian Party is the most viable 3rd party option right now and have a pretty strong platform IMO. Overall, the least wasted vote you can make this year for future change.

June 8th, 2016, 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Megatron

Pablo wrote:
I'd encourage everyone to vote 3rd party this year, any 3rd party - basically don't vote for Rep or Dem at all. That said, the Libertarian Party is the most viable 3rd party option right now and have a pretty strong platform IMO. Overall, the least wasted vote you can make this year for future change.
AFAIK the Libertarian Party is the only 3rd party that will be on ballots in all 50 States.

June 8th, 2016, 12:24 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Voting third party is like changing your Facebook profile picture or putting up a status to support breast cancer awareness. It may make you feel good, but it accomplishes absolutely nothing. It is slacktivism at its finest.

If you're actually tried of the choices you have (in this case Trump or Hillary) and want to change things, then you need to actually get involved. And no, voting third party doesn't count.

Involvement can take many forms. The most extreme form would be actually running for office yourself. But you don't have to do that. You can donate to campaigns/causes you support, or organize events, rallies, etc to drive donations to campaigns/causes you support. You can attempt to educate people and change their minds through dialogue on the Internet, social media, etc. You can become a party delegate and try to shift the discourse. There are many options. Unfortunately, they all take a lot more time and effort than 2 minutes at the ballot box. But such is life.

I've already donated hundreds of dollars this year to the campaigns of local Republicans that lean libertarian. What have you done?

June 8th, 2016, 12:59 pm
Team MVP

If you don't vote, you vote. And voting 3rd party is the same as not voting.

June 9th, 2016, 2:13 am
#1 Overall Pick

Hey, you're right, it is coke vs Pepsi:
Quote:
Coke’s recipe wasn’t the only thing influenced by white supremacy: through the 1920s and ’30s, it studiously ignored the African-American market. Promotional material appeared in segregated locations that served both races, but rarely in those that catered to African-Americans alone.

[...]

By the late 1940s, [Pepsi's] black sales representatives worked the Southern Black Belt and Northern black urban areas, black fashion models appeared in Pepsi ads in black publications, and special point-of-purchase displays appeared in stores patronized by African-Americans. The company hired Duke Ellington as a spokesman. Some employees even circulated racist public statements by Robert W. Woodruff, Coke’s president.

Coke and Pepsi - they may be similar, but at least one of them's not a textbook racist! It's just like this election!

June 9th, 2016, 5:11 am
Megatron

By continuing to vote only 'Coke or Pepsi' you get candidates like Trump and Clinton.

June 9th, 2016, 11:14 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:

Given that logic, the 3rd party would win easily with well over 40% of eligible voters not voting in presidential elections.

You think Dems and Reps care that nearly half of voters don't cast a ballot? Nope, still a duopoly and they win every election virtually unopposed as lazy voters either 1) don't vote or 2) vote virtually along party lines. If a third party got over 40% of eligible voters - that would get their attention.

Blueskies, you bring up good points but most people are way to lazy to put any effort into things. I'd love to see more people involved in the political process...

June 9th, 2016, 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

It's the day before the Super Bowl and the Packers are about to face the Chargers.

Who do you want to win the Super Bowl? The Lions, you say. Why aren't they given an opportunity to win? Why must I pick between the Packers and the Chargers. This is bull****.

Except the Lions did have an opportunity to win. It's just that winning the Super Bowl is not just one game, but a multi-year project that involves numerous successful endeavours -- drafting the right players, signing the right free agents, finding the right coach, and so on.

In this country, with our system as it stands, it's pretty similar. The election is almost a formality.

If you really to see change, you need to be there at training camp. Be there at the draft. Help develop players, etc.

Find a young up-and-coming politician who has similar ideas to you. Send his campaign $100. Find a think tank that advocates ideas you agree with. Reach out and ask them how you can help, etc. We live in a civic society. That's fundamental to our country. People seem to have forgotten that.

June 9th, 2016, 3:04 pm
Team MVP

Blueskies wrote:
It's the day before the Super Bowl and the Packers are about to face the Chargers.

Who do you want to win the Super Bowl? The Lions, you say. Why aren't they given an opportunity to win? Why must I pick between the Packers and the Chargers. This is bull****.

Except the Lions did have an opportunity to win. It's just that winning the Super Bowl is not just one game, but a multi-year project that involves numerous successful endeavours -- drafting the right players, signing the right free agents, finding the right coach, and so on.

In this country, with our system as it stands, it's pretty similar. The election is almost a formality.

If you really to see change, you need to be there at training camp. Be there at the draft. Help develop players, etc.

Find a young up-and-coming politician who has similar ideas to you. Send his campaign $100. Find a think tank that advocates ideas you agree with. Reach out and ask them how you can help, etc. We live in a civic society. That's fundamental to our country. People seem to have forgotten that.

I think a better analogy would be to say it's mid season and the Lions are out of the playoff picture, but have shown signs of building in the right direction. Since they have no shot at the super bowl, do you continue rooting for them or do you stop because they have no chance to win? I keep supporting them. Voting libertarian now is similar to that. They have no shot to win this year, but if they get enough votes that could set them up for more success in the future (more media coverage, inclusion in debates, etc). But if they don't get any more votes now, there is zero chance for that to happen in the next elections. So voting 3rd party does have an impact. It just takes a long time.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 9th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Megatron

Reason wrote:
Neither Trump Nor Clinton
Libertarians offer a third choice.
John Stossel|Jun. 9, 2016 1:00 pm

Finally! Voters have another choice. The Libertarian Party nominated two socially tolerant but fiscally conservative former governors, Gary Johnson and Bill Weld.

Weld? Isn't the former Massachusetts governor just another Republican?

He didn't act like one when he and Johnson sat for an interview.

"This is the dream ticket for me," began Johnson.

"He doesn't look like a dream," I responded rudely. "He's not thought of by us libertarians as Libertarian."

"Weld got the A from Cato Institute," said Johnson, referring to the libertarian think tank. "Weld was declared the fiscally most conservative governor in the country ... First day in office, Bill Weld furloughs 8,000 employees."

I hadn't known that.

"Nine percent of the state workforce," said Weld, "and I never received a single postcard asking, 'Where are those essential 8,000 employees?' I cut the budget 14 percent my first two months. Piece o' cake ... I'd love to see the federal government receive cuts like that."

Me, too.

Johnson added that his running mate was "pro-gay, pro-choice and pro-medical marijuana at a time nobody else was talking about this stuff."

But Weld also supported the Iraq war, saying that George W. Bush had "grown in office." As Massachusetts' governor, he backed the drug war and restrictions on gun ownership.

Today, about Iraq, he said, "I wasn't exactly waving flags when the invasion occurred ... That Iraq thing has turned out to be one of the worst mistakes ever."

Why did he push gun regulation? "There are a lot of bills kicking around in Massachusetts. I've been a hunter my entire life, a gun owner my entire life. I really consider myself a Second Amendment guy."

Today, Weld says he's ready to legalize marijuana. Johnson goes further, "I'm not advocating legalization of other drugs, but if we legalized all drugs tomorrow, the world would be a better place. Ninety percent of the drug problem is prohibition-related."

Both candidates sounded pretty libertarian to me.

"We don't buy the dog food that either party is selling," said Weld. "We don't buy government making decisions for people in their private lives, part of the Republican Party platform, and we don't buy the Democrats' penchant for spending money that we don't have."

Do Libertarians have a chance? Early polls show Johnson getting 10 percent of the vote, even though most Americans don't know who he is. Once people get to hear him, that number will grow. Lots of people want to elect someone other than Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

"If Mickey Mouse were the third name, Mickey would get 30 percent," said Johnson, "but Mickey's not on the ballot in all 50 states."

Good point. Libertarians are the only third party likely to be on the ballot in all the states.

Trump calls Libertarians and Johnson "a fringe deal."

"Spot on!" replied Johnson. "Totally fringe! Small government, fiscally conservative, socially liberal."

What else do Libertarians stand for? Speeches at the nominating convention offer a sample:

"A conservative will fight to live free. A Libertarian fights for everybody to live free."
"There exist in America more laws than an average reader could read—reading 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 600 years."

"The alcohol, tobacco and firearms industry ought to be a store, not a government agency."

Are Libertarians "isolationists?" No. They want to intervene in foreign countries. "We just believe in intervening by dropping philanthropy, tourism, free speech and free trade on other countries instead of bombs," said one convention speaker.

"When Donald Trump talks about deporting 11 million illegal immigrants, that's just wrong," says Johnson. "When he talks about building a fence across the border, that is just wrong. When he talks about killing families of Muslim terrorists, that is just wrong."

Johnson has a long list of disagreements with Trump: "When he talks about free market but he's going to force Apple to make their iPads and iPhones in the United States, that's just wrong! When he talks about a 35 percent tariff, that's just wrong! When he says he's going to bring back waterboarding or torture or whatever, that's just wrong!"

He can level just as many complaints about Hillary Clinton.

The trial comes in November, and voters are the jury. I hope they decide to grant Americans liberty in both the personal and economic realms.

Clinton and Trump are punishments we don't deserve.

COPYRIGHT 2016 BY JFS PRODUCTIONS INC.

http://reason.com/archives/2016/06/09/n ... or-clinton

June 10th, 2016, 3:08 pm
Megatron

July 25th, 2016, 10:24 am
Def. Coordinator – Teryl Austin

njroar wrote:

This is nothing more than oppressive lies. One side tells me "a vote for Johnson is a vote for Hillary" the other side says "a 3rd party vote is a vote for trump"....

You know what, you don't scare me, and your fear tactics won't work on me. The truth is, the only way to waste your vote is to not vote. Stop oppressing others' voice let them vote how they choose.

/end rant

July 25th, 2016, 2:51 pm
National Champion

regularjoe12 wrote:
njroar wrote:

This is nothing more than oppressive lies. One side tells me "a vote for Johnson is a vote for Hillary" the other side says "a 3rd party vote is a vote for trump"....

You know what, you don't scare me, and your fear tactics won't work on me. The truth is, the only way to waste your vote is to not vote. Stop oppressing others' voice let them vote how they choose.

/end rant

This, more then ever

July 25th, 2016, 3:04 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
njroar wrote:

/end rant

I'm not trying to suppress your vote or scare you. There has NEVER been a 3rd party be successful except when they took over an existing party and changed it to something else. When the voters realized a party had stopped listening to them, they revolted in mass and turned it into something else.

I full heartedly want your voice to be heard. I'm saying you back officials that support your views and take over a side that can win, not just play spoiler.

July 25th, 2016, 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next