View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Cord Cutting 
Megatron

Post Cord Cutting
Are there any cord cutters out there? We're just about ready to make the leap ourselves; just making the final decisions on what we're going to use to replace DirecTV.

We already have Amazon Prime via Fire Stick. We're pretty sure we're going to get an OTA that should get us ~100 local channels (according to antennaweb.org). Now we're trying to decide between SlingTV and Vue. Does anyone have any experience with SlingTV or Vue? or something else? I've recently read that AT&T/DirecTV will be launching their own service (DirecTV Now?) in the 4Q 2016; if they could somehow include Sunday Ticket with it, I think that might be ideal depending on what exactly it entails.

That being said, here's a list of what we'd like to see in our replacement service:
Sports - especially NFL and Golf
Movie selection
DVR capability (TiVo-like?)
No contract
Streamable from multiple devices
Variety of channel/choices
Ability to access 'channel apps' (i.e. Fox NOW, Watch ESPN)

As stated above, we have the Fire Stick but we also have an Xbox One. We've been considering purchasing an Apple TV 4 (or newer), but would be willing to get a Roku or something else if it provides us with the best overall experience. It looks like Sling has offers for both (Apple TV 4, Roku 2 & 3). Other than a PlayStation and maybe Roku, I'm not sure how to access Vue.

What have been your experiences? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

August 2nd, 2016, 10:41 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Post Re: Cord Cutting
I cut last year, and upgraded from older Apple TV to the 4. Have netflix and hulu. For sports, I luckily am still a student so had the online version of Sunday Ticket for $99 which I could use on my ps3 or iPad. It still might be cheaper than the full package even at full price, but you'd have to check.

Fox Now, Watch ESPN are impossible to use without cable since they need a login. If you have a friend willing to give you access, you can use those, but otherwise you might need to look at a 3rd party option like SlingTV which is $20 a month and add ons if they don't have what you want.

The OTA's are also area dependent. I'm in an area that has strong signals and none of the brands worked. Most of the News channels have their own apps for Apple TV, but i've been surprised at how much more news I get off youtube in comparison. All the major networks as well as new media outlets post daily, so you get a much clearer picture of what's going on from all perspectives.

Sports is the one downside since they're tied to the major networks and they all have contracts with the biggest cable companies. Hopefully they'll offer team streams or smaller packages for those outside markets as options, but you're options are going to be limited when you cut. I have no problem streaming online, but if you're looking for top-quality viewing, it'll cost ya.

August 2nd, 2016, 11:36 am
Megatron

njroar wrote:
I cut last year, and upgraded from older Apple TV to the 4. Have netflix and hulu. For sports, I luckily am still a student so had the online version of Sunday Ticket for $99 which I could use on my ps3 or iPad. It still might be cheaper than the full package even at full price, but you'd have to check.

Fox Now, Watch ESPN are impossible to use without cable since they need a login. If you have a friend willing to give you access, you can use those, but otherwise you might need to look at a 3rd party option like SlingTV which is $20 a month and add ons if they don't have what you want.

The OTA's are also area dependent. I'm in an area that has strong signals and none of the brands worked. Most of the News channels have their own apps for Apple TV, but i've been surprised at how much more news I get off youtube in comparison. All the major networks as well as new media outlets post daily, so you get a much clearer picture of what's going on from all perspectives.

Sports is the one downside since they're tied to the major networks and they all have contracts with the biggest cable companies. Hopefully they'll offer team streams or smaller packages for those outside markets as options, but you're options are going to be limited when you cut. I have no problem streaming online, but if you're looking for top-quality viewing, it'll cost ya.
Thanks for the info! How's the Apple TV 4? Does the search really bring everything together (meaning it will search all your subscribed apps from 1 place)? Does it allow a 'single sign-on' service where you don't have to log into each individual app?

August 2nd, 2016, 12:09 pm

Since netflix, hulu and other subscriber apps have their own sign-ins, there's no way to bypass the individual log-ins, but i've only had to relog on the rare occasion that the app has been corrupted and had to uninstall and reinstall.

The voice search is awesome. I don't know if it grabs from every single app, but it selects from the major ones. So if you search "Rocky", it will show iTunes, netflix and iTunes IF the movie is on the list. I don't think they've added youtube or other apps yet. I don't have slingtv "yet" so can't speak on if it adds from there either. Same with HBO, not sure if it would search it since I don't subscribe.

Overall the 4 is much better. The remote alone allows fast forwarding and rewinding plus navigation with a sliding interface instead of clicking individual movements with the old remote. It auto detected my tv and controls the volume, mute and sometimes power which is probably because my Vizio smart TV isn't 100% compatible. Turning on is 50%, turning off is 100%. So only have the TV remote to power on.

August 2nd, 2016, 12:29 pm
Megatron

Thx again. That search does sound pretty sweet.

It looks like the single sign-on is coming in the new version of tvOS
Quote:
Do you like typing in user names and passwords for every TV app? We didn’t think so.
Now when you enter your cable or satellite subscription credentials on Apple TV, you get immediate access to all the apps in your pay TV package that support single sign-on. So you authenticate once and you’re done. Cue the applause sign.

https://www.apple.com/tvos-preview/

At this point I think we're leaning towards getting the Apple TV 4 special from Sling (pay 3 months of Sling in advance, get $60 off an Apple TV).

August 2nd, 2016, 1:00 pm

Sweet, yeah that must be in the next software update. They're always adding apps as well, so the future is still open as far as what the ATV4 can do. Just in the 3, you had to wait for apple to add specific apps to the lineup.

August 2nd, 2016, 1:07 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

TheRealWags wrote:
Are there any cord cutters out there? We're just about ready to make the leap ourselves; just making the final decisions on what we're going to use to replace DirecTV.

We already have Amazon Prime via Fire Stick. We're pretty sure we're going to get an OTA that should get us ~100 local channels (according to antennaweb.org). Now we're trying to decide between SlingTV and Vue. Does anyone have any experience with SlingTV or Vue? or something else? I've recently read that AT&T/DirecTV will be launching their own service (DirecTV Now?) in the 4Q 2016; if they could somehow include Sunday Ticket with it, I think that might be ideal depending on what exactly it entails.

That being said, here's a list of what we'd like to see in our replacement service:
Sports - especially NFL and Golf
Movie selection
DVR capability (TiVo-like?)
No contract
Streamable from multiple devices
Variety of channel/choices
Ability to access 'channel apps' (i.e. Fox NOW, Watch ESPN)

As stated above, we have the Fire Stick but we also have an Xbox One. We've been considering purchasing an Apple TV 4 (or newer), but would be willing to get a Roku or something else if it provides us with the best overall experience. It looks like Sling has offers for both (Apple TV 4, Roku 2 & 3). Other than a PlayStation and maybe Roku, I'm not sure how to access Vue.

What have been your experiences? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As soon as Fiber Optics are installed in my area in the next year or two, I intend on researching my options at that time. But, my wifi signal sucks right now. So, I have to wait. I hope someone will offer a streaming service that gives you the option of choosing every channel you watch right now. And only having to pay for those channels. I have 100+ channels right now. And I actually watch about 20 of them. If that! And I have to pay over $100 per month.

August 2nd, 2016, 1:51 pm

I haven't had cable TV in over 3 years. I've owned pretty much every streaming box ever made at one time or another. I would consider myself an expert when it comes to cord-cutting.

Sling TV sucks. It has constant buffering issues. No DVR. It worked OK about half the time on my Roku 3, but almost never worked on my Xbox. I almost guarantee you'll be disappointed.

I would strongly recommend getting PlayStation Vue and the new Roku stick (the $45 one) for each TV in your house. If you happen to have a 4K TV, get the Roku 4 instead. PS Vue has a DVR, gives you more channels, and just works better. When they actually launch DirecTV Now, Roku is a lock to be a launch partner. Who knows if/when it will come to other platforms.

I would stay away from the Apple TV 4 mostly because it's overpriced relative to what you get, the swiping remote sucks, and it can't access Amazon Prime. Lack of Prime is a big one -- it's the second-best streaming service out there (after Netflix) and it gives you the ability to add on certain channels for a discount. For example, I get Showtime through Amazon Prime for $9/mo rather than the dedicated Showtime streaming service which is $11. You don't get iTunes, but you can shop around for digital movies/TV shows you might want to rent or buy -- Vudu/Amazon/Google Play, etc.

If you want a DVR for over-the-air, look into Tablo. It's not cheap. It costs about $250 to setup and you have to pay $5/mo to use it. But I relied on it heavily last year to watch Lions games and Downton Abbey. You can also access it remotely, so you can watch your TV from across the country/world. It only works with Roku/Fire TV.

The Fire TV stick is sluggish for an everyday driver. Put it in your carry-on bag, though -- works great in hotels. I think it's still the only dedicated streaming device that can log on to hotel Wi-Fi.

The Xbox One is actually a great streaming device. In fact, it's what I use primarily. You can get Sling TV on that. I would do the 7-day free trial and see if you like it. If not, cancel it, get the Roku and get PS Vue. The advantage of the Xbox One is that with Kinect you can issue voice commands and if you buy the USB tuner adapter, it can take in over-the-air channels so you don't need to switch inputs ever.

BillySims wrote:
As soon as Fiber Optics are installed in my area in the next year or two, I intend on researching my options at that time. But, my wifi signal sucks right now. So, I have to wait. I hope someone will offer a streaming service that gives you the option of choosing every channel you watch right now. And only having to pay for those channels. I have 100+ channels right now. And I actually watch about 20 of them. If that! And I have to pay over $100 per month.

Who is your Internet provider? Is it a cable company?

If so, you need to buy your own router and modem. Your Wi-Fi will improve at least ten-fold.

Last edited by Blueskies on August 4th, 2016, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 4th, 2016, 3:36 pm

If you have the money, I would get a Logitech Harmony Hub with remote. Usually they're around $99, on sale for $75 sometimes. That way you can control both the TV power, volume, etc as well as your streaming box, and if you get an Amazon Echo, you can turn the TV on/off with voice commands which is cool.

August 4th, 2016, 4:06 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

Blueskies wrote:
I haven't had cable TV in over 3 years. I've owned pretty much every streaming box ever made at one time or another. I would consider myself an expert when it comes to cord-cutting.

Sling TV sucks. It has constant buffering issues. No DVR. It worked OK about half the time on my Roku 3, but almost never worked on my Xbox. I almost guarantee you'll be disappointed.

I would strongly recommend getting PlayStation Vue and the new Roku stick (the $45 one) for each TV in your house. If you happen to have a 4K TV, get the Roku 4 instead. PS Vue has a DVR, gives you more channels, and just works better. When they actually launch DirecTV Now, Roku is a lock to be a launch partner. Who knows if/when it will come to other platforms.

I would stay away from the Apple TV 4 mostly because it's overpriced relative to what you get, the swiping remote sucks, and it can't access Amazon Prime. Lack of Prime is a big one -- it's the second-best streaming service out there (after Netflix) and it gives you the ability to add on certain channels for a discount. For example, I get Showtime through Amazon Prime for $9/mo rather than the dedicated Showtime streaming service which is $11. You don't get iTunes, but you can shop around for digital movies/TV shows you might want to rent or buy -- Vudu/Amazon/Google Play, etc.

If you want a DVR for over-the-air, look into Tablo. It's not cheap. It costs about $250 to setup and you have to pay $5/mo to use it. But I relied on it heavily last year to watch Lions games and Downton Abbey. You can also access it remotely, so you can watch your TV from across the country/world. It only works with Roku/Fire TV.

The Fire TV stick is sluggish for an everyday driver. Put it in your carry-on bag, though -- works great in hotels. I think it's still the only dedicated streaming device that can log on to hotel Wi-Fi.

The Xbox One is actually a great streaming device. In fact, it's what I use primarily. You can get Sling TV on that. I would do the 7-day free trial and see if you like it. If not, cancel it, get the Roku and get PS Vue. The advantage of the Xbox One is that with Kinect you can issue voice commands and if you buy the USB tuner adapter, it can take in over-the-air channels so you don't need to switch inputs ever.

BillySims wrote:

Who is your Internet provider? Is it a cable company?

If so, you need to buy your own router and modem. Your Wi-Fi will improve at least ten-fold.

I use Casair. I live out in the sticks. So, options are slim. No cable TV in my area. But, I am about 1 mile away from a fiber optic network offered by Casair. It will be roughly 1 year before they run it down my road. It is supposed to be light speeds faster than wifi. What is even better about the fiber optic service, is that it is infinitely faster for the same $50 I pay per month right now.

August 4th, 2016, 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]