View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Louisiana Floods. 
William Clay Ford Sr.

Post Louisiana Floods.
Obama blasted GW Bush when Katrina hit. So, where is he right now? On a flipping golf course!
Where is Hitlery? SLEEPING!
Who knows where the hell Gary Johnson is?

I will tell you where Trump is. In Baton Rouge handing out relief supplies.

August 19th, 2016, 8:56 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Post Re: Louisiana Floods.
Obama sent a 16-page memo reminding them not to discriminate. He had to stay in Martha's Vineyard, because there was a fund raiser for Bill's 70th bday today. The governor hoped Donald wasn't there for a photo op, wouldn't meet him, yet asked for money. Trump told the press to keep their distance, which they didn't and brought supplies and met with people.

I know it's a matter of 13 people dead vs thousands, but Obama had no problem stopping in NJ right after Sandy ended. Priorities. Hillary called it in, and blamed Colin Powell for the email server... great day for her.

August 19th, 2016, 10:55 pm
Team MVP

Come on guys your response to this is super dishonest. The governor of Louisiana specifically requested that Obama NOT go there yet, as that would tie up/block off roads that are needed by first responders still trying to reach people in need. From an article in The Atlantic:

...he said it would be better for him (Obama) to wait a week or two so as not to divert resources from what remains an active rescue and recovery effort. He noted that a presidential visit requires hundreds of local first responders to help with security and shutting down roads. “It is a major ordeal,” Edwards said. “I’d ask him to wait if he would for another couple weeks.”

That's not an Obama issue - that would be the issue for any president who went in. So while it looks bad that Obama is golfing while this is all happening (if I were advising him I'd tell him to lay off the golf for a few weeks), he's actually doing the prudent thing. Him going there now would be nothing more than symbolic, and could have tangible negative effects. Waiting a couple weeks still has the same positives (symbolic gestures, etc.), but avoids the negative impact on rescue efforts. This to me should be a non story. The real story is that Obama hasn't really said much about it yet. That's the problem. He's not showing much leadership on this when it is needed. He should be doing a much better job there.

As for Trump, likewise the governor said he was welcome, but specifically requested that if he was coming he write a check to the relief effort or do some volunteering, not do a photo op. He should be commended for donating items, but I hope his presence didn't cause any delays or trouble for emergency crews.

edited to add: I just saw a story that the governor of Louisiana is now saying Trump's visit was helpful because it shined a light on the situation and brought more attention to it. Good for Trump. Glad it was a useful visit. This goes right in line with what I was saying about the problem with Obama's response. He should be the leading voice, calling out how big of a disaster this is on a daily basis. Rally the country to support Louisiana.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 21st, 2016, 8:37 pm

I don't know if it has a name, but it's a common trope people use:

Conversatives insist that Obama is simultaneously a genius Marxist operator out to destroy America AND a lazy incompetent bum that just sits around all day. Liberals said the exact same thing about Bush 8 years ago (except swap Marxist for corporatist, or oil industry goon, etc).

People do it when they sterotype other races/immigrant groups/age brackets. Mexicans are simultaneously lazy bums living off government handouts AND also working so hard they steal the jobs of honest Americans.

Stop doing it. You sound really dumb.

August 21st, 2016, 9:46 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Come on guys your response to this is super dishonest. The governor of Louisiana specifically requested that Obama NOT go there yet, as that would tie up/block off roads that are needed by first responders still trying to reach people in need. From an article in The Atlantic:

...he said it would be better for him (Obama) to wait a week or two so as not to divert resources from what remains an active rescue and recovery effort. He noted that a presidential visit requires hundreds of local first responders to help with security and shutting down roads. “It is a major ordeal,” Edwards said. “I’d ask him to wait if he would for another couple weeks.”

That's not an Obama issue - that would be the issue for any president who went in. So while it looks bad that Obama is golfing while this is all happening (if I were advising him I'd tell him to lay off the golf for a few weeks), he's actually doing the prudent thing. Him going there now would be nothing more than symbolic, and could have tangible negative effects. Waiting a couple weeks still has the same positives (symbolic gestures, etc.), but avoids the negative impact on rescue efforts. This to me should be a non story. The real story is that Obama hasn't really said much about it yet. That's the problem. He's not showing much leadership on this when it is needed. He should be doing a much better job there.

As for Trump, likewise the governor said he was welcome, but specifically requested that if he was coming he write a check to the relief effort or do some volunteering, not do a photo op. He should be commended for donating items, but I hope his presence didn't cause any delays or trouble for emergency crews.

edited to add: I just saw a story that the governor of Louisiana is now saying Trump's visit was helpful because it shined a light on the situation and brought more attention to it. Good for Trump. Glad it was a useful visit. This goes right in line with what I was saying about the problem with Obama's response. He should be the leading voice, calling out how big of a disaster this is on a daily basis. Rally the country to support Louisiana.

BULL poop!!!!

Obama blasted GW Bush for what he dreamed a delayed response. Completely assassinated Bushes character. Well, the shoe is on the other foot now. So, the Demoncrats just change the narrative. To hell with that. Karma is a bitch. And Obama is getting his just deserts. The Demoncrats can't have it both ways this time.

August 21st, 2016, 11:32 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

And P.S. Trump was not there for a photo op. He was actually handing out supplies. He also, personally bought and paid for one of the trucks of supplies.

August 21st, 2016, 11:35 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:

BULL poop!!!!

Obama blasted GW Bush for what he dreamed a delayed response. Completely assassinated Bushes character. Well, the shoe is on the other foot now. So, the Demoncrats just change the narrative. To hell with that. Karma is a bitch. And Obama is getting his just deserts. The Demoncrats can't have it both ways this time.

The response to Katrina WAS horrible. It was too slow, it was mismanaged, and Bush himself has said that the flyover was a mistake and that he should have been down on the ground. So your version is the one that's dreamed up. I can speak with some authority on this, as I was there. I spent a month in New Orleans after Katrina helping with cleanup and repairs (for my job). I saw first hand how the government response was lacking. It was not fast, and it was not done well.

As for the rest of your rationale, if that's how we want to play things then nothing will ever get any better. Each side will just dig in deeper, justify more and more escalation of vitriol and blaming the other side because "they did it so now they get what they deserve". If that's what you want, have at it. For me, I try to assess the facts of each situation, and do what I can to try to have civil discourse and work towards solutions. Clearly not everyone agrees.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

August 22nd, 2016, 10:13 am

Bush made a terrible mistake with Katrina because he flew over and didn't stop on the ground. The media and everyone got on him because he didn't send in FEMA or the National Guard for a few days, which wasn't due to him, but due to the Governor not asking. The Federal agencies can't enter the state until the governor requests them, so that part was blow out of proportion and the mistake of flying over compounded the situation.

This Governor made the right calls and those agencies were there on the ground, but it's telling when it's a red state and Obama says nothing, and while the Governor covers saying he should wait a few weeks, he pushed up that timeline once Trump showed up to this Tuesday. Blue states, like NJ after Sandy, he was there immediately. And because it's a red state, the memo telling the rescue workers not to be racist was in bad form. I could point how how the red counties in NJ were faced with quickly changing policies regarding primary vs. secondary housing, many of which was used for rental and housing assistance for those on welfare, but when you look at how little of NO has been rebuilt, I think that points to the inefficiency of FEMA in general.

It all comes down to the optics. Obama and Hillary had a fundraiser to be at, so they released statements or kept silent, while Trump showed up. Obama showed up for Sandy in an election year, so is it all politics? We'll see.

August 22nd, 2016, 2:06 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
Bush made a terrible mistake with Katrina because he flew over and didn't stop on the ground. The media and everyone got on him because he didn't send in FEMA or the National Guard for a few days, which wasn't due to him, but due to the Governor not asking. The Federal agencies can't enter the state until the governor requests them, so that part was blow out of proportion and the mistake of flying over compounded the situation.

This Governor made the right calls and those agencies were there on the ground, but it's telling when it's a red state and Obama says nothing, and while the Governor covers saying he should wait a few weeks, he pushed up that timeline once Trump showed up to this Tuesday. Blue states, like NJ after Sandy, he was there immediately. And because it's a red state, the memo telling the rescue workers not to be racist was in bad form. I could point how how the red counties in NJ were faced with quickly changing policies regarding primary vs. secondary housing, many of which was used for rental and housing assistance for those on welfare, but when you look at how little of NO has been rebuilt, I think that points to the inefficiency of FEMA in general.

It all comes down to the optics. Obama and Hillary had a fundraiser to be at, so they released statements or kept silent, while Trump showed up. Obama showed up for Sandy in an election year, so is it all politics? We'll see.

I agree with most of this. Obama always has been, IMO, a sub-par leader. He's at his best when it comes to the details of policy (not surprising given his background as a legal scholar), but he's always been lacking when it comes to showing true leadership on the ground. I think a lot of that has to do with his lack of experience being the person in charge prior to being president. It's also probably a matter of personal style. Regardless, I think he should have handled this situation differently.

August 22nd, 2016, 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]