View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Mexican stamp called offensive to blacks 
Modmin Dude

Post Mexican stamp called offensive to blacks
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/06/29/mexico.stamp.ap/index.html

Does anyone find these offensive?

June 29th, 2005, 3:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

No, but I'm not black. Its probably mostly because of what he said a while back. That was very offensive, and the whole stamp thing probably wouldn't be as big of an issue if it weren't for the comments.

June 29th, 2005, 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

No, but I'm not black. Its probably mostly because of what he said a while back. That was very offensive, and the whole stamp thing probably wouldn't be as big of an issue if it weren't for the comments.
I agree. This character is apparently from a 1940s cartoon so it very well could've been intended as offensive considering the times in which the cartoon was created.

June 29th, 2005, 4:41 pm
RIP Killer

No matter what someone does, there is somebody out there who will find it offensive. You can't please everyone, but you have to try when the people you're "offending" are nearly the majority of the people. People just whine too much.

June 29th, 2005, 6:34 pm
Pro Bowl Player

No matter what someone does, there is somebody out there who will find it offensive. You can't please everyone, but you have to try when the people you're "offending" are nearly the majority of the people. People just whine too much.

Exactly...

Those stamps are obviously not "racially motivated". I know I wouldnt be mad if they were albino monkeys! :lol:

July 1st, 2005, 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Towel Boy

i'd be offended even if the prior comments had not been made. i think people who don't see anything wrong with this haven't had to deal with racial animous before and have no clue. well they might have a clue, but wouldn't know exactly how it feels for something to be done to you or said about you based strictly on your ethnicity

July 1st, 2005, 9:05 pm
RIP Killer

i'd be offended even if the prior comments had not been made. i think people who don't see anything wrong with this haven't had to deal with racial animous before and have no clue. well they might have a clue, but wouldn't know exactly how it feels for something to be done to you or said about you based strictly on your ethnicity

Simba, I understand where you're coming from. A lot of people don't understand racism because they've never had it happen to them on a personal level before. I personally have experienced it. I'm Native American. Most people don't respect Native people or their culture and believe their past to be insignificant when compared with the African American past. Both of which are very similar (involving slavery, genocide, etc). But, the main thing that pisses me off is how ignorant some people are when it comes to Native culture, with the Native names, dancing, singing, pow wows, etc. So, I do understand where you're coming from, but I still do not find the stamp offensive.

July 1st, 2005, 9:27 pm
RIP Killer

If these stamps were newly drawn, I would say absolutely yes there is a reason for people to be offended. However, if these are reprints of cartoon images from the past then get over it. The past is the past, it is a part of history. Not all history can be recorded as being positive to all humanity. Human history is full of tragic and forgetable events such as slavery and racism. These things are to be learned from, not forgotten entirely. Trying to erase it from the history books is what causes problems. I am 100% Italian in my heritage, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard jokes about wops, daegos, guineas, etc. Try and remember, they are jokes. They are meant to entertain, not offend. These cartoons were of the same intention, to entertain. That was part of history, embrace it as such as be proud that the African American people have risen above their tragic start in this country.

July 1st, 2005, 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]