View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 2:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kerry..."The last the America needs is a 2nd Rep. Party 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Kerry..."The last the America needs is a 2nd Rep. Party
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050820/ap_on_go_co/john_kerry

The last thing the Democratic party needs is John Kerry. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Sen. John Kerry Blisters Republicans By DAVID AMMONS, Associated Press Writer
Fri Aug 19,11:16 PM ET

Sen. John F. Kerry (news, bio, voting record) told state legislators Friday the Democratic Party doesn't need to undergo an extreme makeover, saying "the last thing America needs is a second Republican Party."

After blistering Republicans on everything from Iraq to health care, Kerry said Democrats have an opportunity to rebuild nationally by simply addressing the concerns that affect people's daily lives ? energy, transportation, health care and security.

"We have to go out and fight for the real issues that make a difference in the lives of the American people and we don't need some great lurch to the right or lurch to the left or redefinition of the Democratic Party," the Massachusetts Democrat said. "The last thing America needs is a second Republican Party."

Kerry spoke to 750 Democratic state legislators who were attending the National Conference of State Legislatures. He announced plans to campaign and raise money for Democratic legislative candidates across America.

His ill-fated 2004 presidential campaign was still clearly on Kerry's mind, with an analysis and a broadside against President Bush and congressional Republicans taking up the lion's share of his 35-minute speech to the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee's luncheon.

Kerry said Bush and the Republicans have used the terrorism issue to divert attention from issues that favored the Democrats.

In an arch comment about the president's recent statement in favor of teaching "intelligent design" as an alternative to the theory of evolution, Kerry said, "I think we ought to be getting some intelligent design in our policy in Iraq."

That drew a standing ovation and whoops of delight from the audience.

Kerry told his audience that while Republicans dither and practice politics of "nastiness and partisanship," Democratic legislators are showing the right stuff, connecting with people on their front porches and then going to the capitals to fix their problems.

"The states are now the laboratories, much more than before, because of the refusal of Washington to do what's important and necessary. You're forced to spend too much time cleaning up what Washington either messes up or leaves undone altogether."

August 20th, 2005, 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

What the Democratic party needs is to come up with some of their own ideas instead of just complaining that the Republicans are bad/evil/stupid/greedy... etc. All the typical arguments that have been used for decades. Until the Dems start coming up with their own ideas, they'll be relegated to a minority, opposition party.

August 26th, 2005, 12:12 pm

What the Democratic party needs is to come up with some of their own ideas instead of just complaining that the Republicans are bad/evil/stupid/greedy... etc. All the typical arguments that have been used for decades. Until the Dems start coming up with their own ideas, they'll be relegated to a minority, opposition party.

Well said. The Dems can't just attack the Republicans as a campaign stragey like Kerry tried to do. That being said, if Cheney ran in 08, which I know he will not do, a stragegy of attacking about Iraq might work because a lot of people are so fed up with it. But they would still need to be original.

August 26th, 2005, 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

bphelmin wrote:

Well said. The Dems can't just attack the Republicans as a campaign stragey like Kerry tried to do. That being said, if Cheney ran in 08, which I know he will not do, a stragegy of attacking about Iraq might work because a lot of people are so fed up with it. But they would still need to be original.

I think Condi Rice, Guiliani, Gingrich, Sam Brownback, and Bill Frist all want to run. I think Cheney might be getting too old. Regardless of who it is, I think attacking about Iraq is a bad idea. It's demoralizing to the soldiers, and I would never do that. Either way, it Hillary on the democratic side, and I hope to God that she doesn't win.

August 26th, 2005, 12:31 pm

I know that Cheny won't run. I was just being Hypothetical.

BTW- What about McCain in your list of GOP potential candidates?

August 26th, 2005, 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

You're right. I forgot about him. He'd never win thought. He's seen as too wishy washy. For better or worse, I think we're going to get one far left candidate, and one far right candidate. It certainly makes things interesting.

August 26th, 2005, 12:36 pm

You're right. I forgot about him. He'd never win thought. He's seen as too wishy washy.

Thats actually the last thing that I think of when I think about McCain.

You are right about the far right and left though. People are too scared to be moderate.

August 26th, 2005, 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

bphelmin wrote:
You're right. I forgot about him. He'd never win thought. He's seen as too wishy washy.

Thats actually the last thing that I think of when I think about McCain.

You are right about the far right and left though. People are too scared to be moderate.

I tend to think that people that try to be moderate are just trying to say what they think people want to hear. I have no problem with people being far left or far right, as long as they state what they believe and stick to it. That's my biggest problem with McCain. He changes his tune when it's politically expedient to do so. But then again, what politician doesn't?

August 26th, 2005, 12:55 pm
Site Admin

McCain was railroaded by Bush in Carolina during 2000 primaries. I would vote for McCain cause the guy is SOO NOT wishy washy. He sees things in a more clear way than most republicans and stands for what he believes in and not what his party tells him too. The guy has integrity unlike Bush.

That being said the key to presidential and any election is that it is extremely difficult to beat an incumbant. Statisically it is extremely rare and things have to be going extremely poorly. Remeber this folks...Bush did not win by a lanslide by any means. The country was virtually 50-50 and that was versus a drip like Kerry. The other big issue was that we are in the middle of a war...many people felt that since Bush got us into it he should see us out as well. It was certainly not the mandate Bush felt it was and that's why his "idears" that he jawed about during the election have gone nowhere. Social Security? The guy has toured on it more than Rolling Stone has in their entire lifetime and he get's no support. His numbers continue to slide month by month on the economy and the war. The guy has almost reached lame duck status if not for court appointments he has no impact.

McCain in '08!!! If he doesn't run then expect the next president to be a Democrate.

August 26th, 2005, 5:00 pm
Profile WWW

I'd vote for Hillary in 2008.. anyone is better than shurb.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 26th, 2005, 5:12 pm
Modmin Dude

OMG!!!!!!! Please say NO!!!!!!!! 8 years of Clinton was enough, I don't want/can't have 4 more......

Joe Fauria, MVP!

August 26th, 2005, 5:16 pm

LionsFan4Life wrote:
OMG!!!!!!! Please say NO!!!!!!!! 8 years of Clinton was enough, I don't want/can't have 4 more......

Sorry charlie.. I thought Clinton was the best president of my life time.. (born in 78) Our economy flourished underneath him and we had good foreign relations. So yeah.. like I said I'd vote for Hillary.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 26th, 2005, 5:37 pm
QB Coach

Not a big deal, but just a couple things I felt like commenting on.

theAlphaMale wrote:
Remeber this folks...Bush did not win by a lanslide by any means. The country was virtually 50-50 and that was versus a drip like Kerry.
The last election actually was quite a bit in favor of Bush. He won by more than 3 million votes. That's not exactly 50-50. Admittedly, the electoral vote was closer than that.

theAlphaMale wrote:
McCain in '08!!! If he doesn't run then expect the next president to be a Democrate.
I'm not so sure about that. I think if Condi Rice runs, she'd win big. Ditto Guiliani. I'm just not a big McCain fan. He always seem to me to be a media hound. He pops up when he can get his mug on TV and get credit for something. I don't know what it is, but something about him just bothers me. I just hope that whoever we get, it can be someone who is less of a politician and more of a person who gets things done.

August 26th, 2005, 6:53 pm
Site Admin

I'm not so sure about that. I think if Condi Rice runs, she'd win big. Ditto Guiliani. I'm just not a big McCain fan. He always seem to me to be a media hound. He pops up when he can get his mug on TV and get credit for something. I don't know what it is, but something about him just bothers me. I just hope that whoever we get, it can be someone who is less of a politician and more of a person who gets things done.

Guiliani has had Cancer issues and affairs...

Condi Rice is way to close to the war...

Guiliani was mayor of New York...

Condi Rice was Bushs yes girl.

Meida hound? :shock: :? He gets attention cause he speaks for himself and not the party line.

August 26th, 2005, 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Guiliani has had Cancer issues and affairs...

Condi Rice is way to close to the war...

Guiliani was mayor of New York...

Condi Rice was Bushs yes girl.

Meida hound? :shock: :? He gets attention cause he speaks for himself and not the party line.

I'm not sure how Guiliani having Cancer or having been Mayor of New York excludes him from being President. Also, I think you're seriously discounting Condi rice. She's extremely intelligent, articulate, and I don't think being involved in the war makes her a bad candidate. I think the country is basically split on the war issue, so it cancels itself out. I personally hope she runs, because I think she would be fantastic.

As for McCain, like I said, I'm not sure what it is, something about him just bothers me. He seems insincere to me. Just my opinion. To quote Mr. Charles Barkley, "I could be wrong, but I doubt it."

August 26th, 2005, 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next