View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Rome 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Rome
Since we have been talking about TV lately...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/reviews/2005-08-25-rome_x.htm

Man I wish I had HBO. :shock:

Quote:
HBO's 'Rome' burns with realistic depiction of ancient life
By Robert Bianco, USA TODAY
Rome wasn't built in a day ? or an episode.

As extravagant, enticing and chaotic as Rome itself, HBO's latest series boasts all the opulent pleasures that lavish expenditures of time and money can buy. Every detail in its re-creation of ancient Rome may not be correct, but the spirit and the overall picture ring true ? and the entertainment value resounds.

Even with those virtues, Rome cannot topple the best of the Roman epics, I, Claudius, which had an all-conquering cast and script. But by moving outside the halls of power and into the city's streets, this series does create a sense of Rome as a living and breathing place ? the vibrant, colorful, sensual, crowded center of the ancient world ? that has never been matched on TV.

It does not, however, build its empire quickly. Like most HBO shows, which don't face the instant sink-or-swim pressures of broadcast TV, Rome makes little initial effort to draw an audience into its sprawling story. It may take you a few episodes to find your way to Rome. But once there, you may never want to leave.

Written by Bruno Heller (Touching Evil) and directed by Michael Apted, this 12-episode HBO/BBC co-production treads some of the same ground as this summer's Empire on ABC, but in wiser and more convincing fashion.

Rather than opening with the assassination of Julius Caesar (Ciaran Hinds), and losing one of history's most interesting characters, Rome steps back eight years to tell the story of Caesar's battle with Pompey (Kenneth Cranham) for control of the Republic.

Their conflict forces all of Rome to take sides, while firing the ambitions of Caesar's niece Atia (Polly Walker), who combines the political drive of Claudius' Livia with the sex drive of Dynasty's Alexis. She beds Mark Antony (James Purefoy) for fun and profit, but the focus of her attention is her son Octavian (Max Pirkis, one of the show's real finds).

As the Romans did themselves, Rome revels in the sheer, scheming gamesmanship behind this pursuit of power, with Julius the master and Octavian his brightest student. Unlike Claudius, however, Rome is not solely interested in the machinations of the high and mighty. It devotes equal time to the travails of two Roman soldiers: the strict, old-guard centurion Lucius (Kevin McKidd) and his "cheerful brutish" friend Pullo (Ray Stevenson).

McKidd and Stevenson are a wonderful pair, with more than enough chemistry to compensate for the sometimes soapy nature of their plebian story line. The problem is with the aristocrats: Walker is too colorful, and Hinds is not colorful enough. Hinds needs to blossom a bit, and Walker, fun though she can be, really needs to be reeled in.

Though further away in time, there are ways in which these ancient Romans seem closer to us than the settlers in Deadwood. Still, like Deadwood, this is not a series for the squeamish or the prudish. Rome could be a rough and licentious town, and Rome exercises that historical license through throat-slashings, brain-drillings and full-frontal nudity, male and female.

The Romans probably wouldn't have been shocked at all. If you are, well, no one ever said all viewer roads lead to Rome.

August 29th, 2005, 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I have HBO :D !! When does Rome premier? And if it has already what day/time is it on??!!

August 29th, 2005, 6:22 pm
Profile YIM

http://www.hbo.com/rome/

Keep an eye out for this dude in Rome. He was probalby the best actor in Master and Commander (Sweet movie by the way).

Edit by mod: Fixed link for ya.

August 29th, 2005, 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Rome was on Sunday night and probably has a replay tonight. Good show. I think I'm hooked on another one...........

August 30th, 2005, 10:08 am
Varsity Captain

I hate television(unless its family guy, south park, robot chicken, or the simpsons) but I decided to check out Rome, and I most admit that I was impressed, the acting was superb, and the show itself was probably the most realistic portrayal of actual Roman life that I have seen outside of my Western Civ text book.

September 2nd, 2005, 12:18 pm
Varsity Captain

You lucky bastard. LOL. :lol:

http://www.hbo.com/rome/

Keep an eye out for this dude in Rome. He was probalby the best actor in Master and Commander (Sweet movie by the way).

Edit by mod: Fixed link for ya.

Fellow Master and Commander fan I see, I like this kids role in Rome. He has been impressive so far.

September 5th, 2005, 8:03 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I seen the making of that show the other night ~ five square acres for the set

better be a damn good show with a twenty five acre set :shock:

September 17th, 2005, 9:28 pm
Profile WWW

I seen the making of that show the other night ~ five square acres for the set

better be a damn good show with a twenty five acre set :shock:

Well, HBO has always gone all out.

September 18th, 2005, 10:48 am
Profile WWW