View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Pentagon: Bin Laden deputy complains about money, Iraq tacti 
Modmin Dude

Post Pentagon: Bin Laden deputy complains about money, Iraq tacti
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/07/pentagon.al.qaeda/index.html

Could be interesting if true

October 7th, 2005, 1:12 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

No doubt this intercept is authentic. What you have to remember is that al Qaeda in Iraq and the AQ that was in Afghanistan really are quite distinct organizations. For instance, it took al Zaraqwi one year to declare allegiance to bin Laden and to rechristen himself AQ. I will not go into the reasons why he did this, but it is important to remember than Bin Laden and al Zaraqwi's network are entirely distinct organizations that communicate every three months by letters such as these carried by donkeys along a long chain.

No doubt bin Laden is burning a tremendous amount of cash to pay off the people hiding him in Pakistan. Also, the financial pincer that hit him post 9/11 had an impact on his finite amount of capital. I would say bin Laden's cash flow problem is likely legitimate and reflected in the quality and scope of their operations since the WTC attack. For the most part it is independently financed allies (London, Bali) that are picking up the ball. For the most part their connection to bin Laden is minimal. As for the Taliban, bin Laden has been complaining about their lack of efficacy for over two years. Although some remnants continue to mount attacks in the Kandahar province and in the East, they are not an elite or motivated fighting force and their resources and morale is very low.

To consider this intelligence intercept a victory would overlook the real story that had developed since Iraq's invasion in 2003. The future danger to the US and the West does not come from bin Laden, but from a unfederated network of activist cells each tinged with its own agenda and cause. AQ in Iraq is a prime example. As a fighting force it has acquired resources far greater than what bin Laden ever had at his disposal. They are making strategic alliances with the internal Sunni resistance and fund raise our oil dollars through Saudia Arabia. And to think that this organization did not even exist in 2002. Also asked yourself where will its trained and hardened fighters go once we pull out of Iraq?

The WTC was always a mixed blessing for bin Laden. Bin laden was not only dislodged in Afghanistan, his murder in the name of Allah routine did not go over well in the mainstream Arab world. In every country except Palestine and Iraq (you can guess why), his popularity plummeted.

The most vibrant and powerful terrorist network in the world is AQ in Iraq and they came into being and have come into existence only as a result of Bush's invasion of Iraq and continue to grow more powerful because of a direct result of Bush policies there.

October 7th, 2005, 3:05 pm

Al Zaraqwi network has expanded to at least 20 countries:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051022/ap_ ... ng_zarqawi

October 22nd, 2005, 2:40 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

They are making strategic alliances with the internal Sunni resistance and fund raise our oil dollars through Saudia Arabia. And to think that this organization did not even exist in 2002. Also asked yourself where will its trained and hardened fighters go once we pull out of Iraq?

Keep in mind while you speak of the oil dollar. The U.S. gets more oil from Canada than any other country. Also as an aside, Ayman al-Zawahiri, al Qaeda's No. 2 figure was killed in July (?) and the AQ has announced this week that he was martyred. Apparently they chose to sit on the info for a while.

October 22nd, 2005, 4:01 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Al Zaraqwi network has expanded to at least 20 countries:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051022/ap_ ... ng_zarqawi

That's fine.... I'm o.k. with every one of them being martyred

October 22nd, 2005, 4:06 pm

"al-Zawahiri, al Qaeda's No. 2 figure was killed in July (?) and the AQ has announced this week that he was martyred"

What is your source for that? He was on a tape after July if I am not mistaken. I know a lot of arab names sound the same to us, but I think you are mixed up here.

As to oil from Canada, are you aware of the soft lumber issue? I could be wrong, but I think that even the passive Canadians have had it with George. Within a month we could pass from threatening tariffs on oil exports to the US to the actual implementation of that policy.

October 22nd, 2005, 5:31 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

"al-Zawahiri, al Qaeda's No. 2 figure was killed in July (?) and the AQ has announced this week that he was martyred"

What is your source for that? He was on a tape after July if I am not mistaken. I know a lot of arab names sound the same to us, but I think you are mixed up here.

As to oil from Canada, are you aware of the soft lumber issue? I could be wrong, but I think that even the passive Canadians have had it with George. Within a month we could pass from threatening tariffs on oil exports to the US to the actual implementation of that policy.

I read it Wednesday or Thursday I believe. I will see if I can find it on Monday and post it. I also know that some of the names sound alike, but when they refer to him as "Big Shot" and call him the no. 2 man, it kinda stands out.

October 22nd, 2005, 10:25 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Sept. 28, 2005 - U.S. intelligence officials and counterterrorism analysts are questioning whether a slain terrorist?described by President Bush today as the ?second-most-wanted Al Qaeda leader in Iraq??was as significant a figure as the Bush administration is claiming.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a brief Rose Garden appearance Wednesday morning, Bush seized on the killing of Abu Azzam by joint U.S-Iraqi forces in a shootout last Sunday as fresh evidence that the United States is turning the tide against the Iraqi insurgency.

?This guy was a brutal killer,? Bush told reporters in remarks that were also carried live on cable TV. ?He was one of [Abu Mussab al-]Zarqawi?s top lieutenants. He was reported to be the top operational commander of Al Qaeda in Baghdad.?

Bush?s comments came one day after Gen. Richard Myers, the outgoing chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters at the Pentagon that the U.S. military considered Abu Azzam the ?No. 2 Al Qaeda operative in Iraq, next to Zarqawi.?

ONLINE MAIL CALL
Our readers write on the killing of Abu Azzam

But veteran counterterrorism analyst Evan Kohlmann said today there are ample reasons to question whether Abu Azzam was really the No. 2 figure in the Iraqi insurgency. He noted that U.S. officials have made similar claims about a string of purportedly high-ranking terrorist operatives who had been captured or killed in the past, even though these alleged successes made no discernible dent in the intensity of the insurgency.

?If I had a nickel for every No. 2 and No. 3 they?ve arrested or killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, I?d be a millionaire,? says Kohlmann, a New York-based analyst who tracks the Iraq insurgency and who first expressed skepticism about the Azzam claims in a posting on The Counterterrorism Blog (counterterror.typepad.com). While agreeing that Azzam?also known as Abdullah Najim Abdullah Mohamed al-Jawari?may have been an important figure, ?this guy was not the deputy commander of Al Qaeda,? says Kohlmann.

Three U.S. counterterrorism officials, who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the subject, also told NEWSWEEK today that U.S. agencies did not really consider Abu Azzam to be Zarqawi?s ?deputy? even if he did play a relatively high-ranking role in the insurgency.

The characterization of Abu Azzam as No. 2 to Zarqawi is ?not quite accurate,? said one of the officials. According to this official, it would be more correct to describe Abu Azzam as a ?top lieutenant? to Zarqawi who was involved in ?running? terrorist operations in Baghdad?not all of Iraq. Other top lieutenants operate in other parts of the country, the official indicated.

Two other officials agreed that Abu Azzam was a senior figure, perhaps the emir (leader), of Al Qaeda operations in Baghdad, and that he was of critical importance in moving funds to insurgent operatives in the Iraqi capital area. ?He?s a money guy,? one official said. ?He is significant but not No. 2 [to Zarqawi],? said another official.

Turns out I may have had the name wrong. I found this one online, but don't believe it is the same article I read at work. I will see if I can find it and post it also.

October 22nd, 2005, 10:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I see that I may be reading about the Iraq AQ, not the Afghan AQ. That may cause some confusion. Here's another article:

Quote:
Iraqi al-Qaeda No 2 man killed
September 27, 2005 - 6:32PM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Iraq today claimed a major coup with the killing of al-Qaeda's number two in the country but insurgent attacks continued as a suicide bomber blew himself up at a police recruiting centre, leaving 10 dead.

NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer was in Baghdad to inaugurate a training mission set up after overcoming deep divisions within the transatlantic alliance over the 2003 US-led war to oust Saddam Hussein.

``We managed to kill the number two of al-Qaeda in Iraq,'' national security adviser Muwaffaq Rubaie said.

Abu Azzam was shot dead yesterday in a joint US-Iraqi raid on a safe house in Baghdad following a tip-off from a local Iraqi, he said.

Rubaie described the operation as ``a major coup'' which would likely hobble insurgent forces loyal to Jordanian-born Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq and the country's most wanted man.

Abu Azzam, who was believed to be a Palestinian, infiltrated into Iraq in April, and ``we believe he must have killed 1200 Baghdadis,'' mostly in car bombings, Rubaie said.

Advertisement
AdvertisementUS army spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Steve Boylan confirmed the killing, adding that two other men in the house at the time were also believed to have been killed in the raid.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq is held responsible for some of the more spectacular attacks in Iraq, along with multiple kidnappings and beheadings, and Zarqawi has declared ``all-out war'' on the country's majority Shi'ites.

In the latest attack against security forces, 10 people were killed by a suicide bomber wearing an explosives belt who blew himself up in a crowd waiting outside police recruitment centre in Baquba, a restive town northwest of the capital, police said.

Many of the victims were newly-recruited policemen reporting for their first day at work, police said. Another 26 people were injured in the attack.

Violence is expected to escalate ahead of the October 15 vote on the constitution, which a leading think-tank warned has has deepened sectarian rifts and is likely to fuel the Sunni-led insurgency and hasten the country's violent break up.

``Instead of healing the growing divisions between Iraq's three principal communities - Shi'ites, Kurds and Sunni Arabs - a rushed constitutional process has deepened rifts and hardened feelings,'' the International Crisis Group (AC) said in a report.

Iraq ``appears to be heading toward de facto partition and full-scale civil war'' said the report, unless Washington makes ``a determined effort to broker a true compromise between Shi'ites, Kurds and Sunni Arabs.''

In Baghdad, Scheffer inaugurated the headquarters of the NATO training mission in the the high-security ``green zone'' which also houses the US and British embassies and government offices.

``What you are doing is of great importance for this country and the development of democratic institutions,'' he told NATO officers who will man the centre.

NATO is also setting up a new military academy in Al-Restimulate on the outskirts of the capital to train Iraqi military officers.

The NATO operation aims to train 1000 officers a year inside Iraq, with a further 500 receiving training outside the country.

AFP

October 22nd, 2005, 10:54 pm

Right, I thought that was the mix-up. This guy was not a public figure. I am not sure what his operational status was. I have plenty trouble with the Arabic names myself. :lol:

October 22nd, 2005, 10:58 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

Right, I thought that was the mix-up. This guy was not a public figure. I am not sure what his operational status was. I have plenty trouble with the Arabic names myself. :lol:

This may help with what his operational status was:

September 28, 2005

The Times

Al-Qaeda's No 2 in Iraq is shot dead after betrayal
From Anthony Lloyd in Baghdad
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 19,00.html

AN AL-QAEDA commander claimed by the Americans to be the group's second-in-command in Iraq has been shot dead in a raid on his safe house, the US military said yesterday.
Abu Azzam, a financier and religious aide to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and leader of al-Qaeda's operations in Baghdad, was killed by American and Iraqi special forces while sheltering in a block of flats, having apparently been betrayed by an al-Qaeda insider.

In a separate development, Iraqi police found the decomposing bodies of 22 Iraqi men near Kut, 100 miles southeast of Baghdad. They had been bound, blindfolded and shot in the head in what appeared to be another in a series of sectarian killings.

A US military spokesman said that Azzam had been traced thanks to "multiple intelligence sources and information from a close associate", adding: "During the operation, which was held with the intent of capturing him, he fired and he was killed by return fire."

It was unclear why, for such a senior operative, Azzam had a bounty of a mere $50,000 (?28,000) placed on his head by the US in a list of Iraq's 29 most-wanted terrorists. Other bounties ran to several million dollars.

American and Iraqi officials have frequently claimed to have killed or captured top lieutenants of al-Zarqawi in Iraq, though al-Qaeda's subsequent ability to strike against targets across the country has scarcely been impaired.

Azzam, whose real name is Abdullah Najim Abdullah Mohamed al-Jawari, may be more significant. The Iraqi-born terrorist was an able field commander who had claimed to be behind the assassinations of several leading politicians, including the car bomb that killed Izzadine Saleem, president of the US-appointed Governing Council, in May last year, and an attack in July that year that killed the governor of Nineveh province.

The US military said that Azzam had been al-Qaeda's "emir" in Anbar province, heartland of the Sunni insurgency, until the spring, when he became al-Qaeda's operations chief in Baghdad, and had overseen the upsurge of violent attacks in the city.

A suicide bomber attacked a police station in Baquba, 30 miles north of Baghdad, yesterday, killing nine and bringing the death toll during the past three days to at least 62.

Al-Zarqawi is known to have deputed his leadership to al-Qaeda regional commanders, known as emirs. As well as co-ordinating the finance, logistics, planning and operations for their commands, these emirs work with propaganda officers who broadcasting al-Qaeda's "successes" to mobilise support and funding

October 22nd, 2005, 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]