View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New Tint Bill Trying To Be Passed into State Law - JAIL TIME 
Varsity 1st Team

Post New Tint Bill Trying To Be Passed into State Law - JAIL TIME
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/ ... 1604.shtml

Quote:
Customized cars with dark tinted windows may become a thing of the past if state Sen. Deborah Cherry has her way.

Advertisement
A bill introduced by Cherry, D-Burton, would stiffen penalties for illegal window tints with a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

Currently, the offense is a civil infraction with fines determined by the jurisdiction in which the violation occurs. In most cases, an offender can have the tint removed within 30 days to avoid fines, which are usually about $90 with no points added to the license.

Window tinting was in the news this past week when Detroit Piston Darko Milicic was stopped by Sterling Heights police because of dark windows on his 2004 Audi. He said he had been driving it for more than a year and didn't know it was illegal.

Lt. Gerry Scherlinck of the Troy Police Department said window tint can be up to only 35 percent in terms of darkness on a vehicle's windshield and passenger- and driver-side windows, and the tint can not exceed 4 inches.

"You can do whatever you please to the back windows," he said. "When you see some of these cars that are totally darked out, that's illegal. It poses a threat to police officers (and emergency workers) trying to see inside the car."

Denise Flannery, legislative aide for Cherry, whose district includes a portion of Oakland County, said the bill was introduced in response to a recent event in which a police officer was concerned for his safety.

"We feel the current fines are not enough to deter the illegal use of window tinting," she said.

The bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Transportation.

The only exemption to the current legislation is a signed doctor's note specifying the tint is needed for vision problems.

Leticia Weatherby, a 22-year-old nurse's aide from Waterford Township, said she has been pulled over at least twice for her tinted windows, which she said allows officers to see inside her vehicle.

Weatherby owns a twodoor 1996 Monte Carlo and had all of the windows, except the windshield, tinted in February.

"I was under the impression that the tint shop only did the legal amount," she said. "I agree people shouldn't be allowed to tint windows so darkly that it causes a problem with the law. But I don't understand why they allow these shops to apply illegal tint but ticket you for it."

Weatherby said it costs about $179 to have the windows tinted and about $300 to have the tint removed.

"I'm not taking it off," she said. "I had the windows tinted to keep the sun out of my face and out of my child's face. If it's illegal for people to have the tint, it should be illegal for the shops to put it on."

There are no laws prohibiting the installation of illegal tint. Roger Griffi ths, outside sales coordinator with Ameristar Auto Outfi tters in Waterford, which specializes in window tinting, said his company does warn customers of the consequences of illegal window tinting but will still perform the work.

Flannery said including window-tinting businesses in the bill was "not the direction we're taking right now."

Sgt. Nathaniel McQueen with the Michigan State Police said one of the issues is tinted windows are also offered by manufacturers.

"In some areas, such as Arizona and Texas, it's legal because of the heat index," he said. "There needs to be a regulation stating it is illegal for a secondary vendor to put it on. Otherwise, you run into problems with manufacturers.

"This is really something the state needs to look into. I would think anyone proposing legislation to increase the penalty for illegal tinting should include the businesses that are putting this tint on the windows." John Sturk and Kevin Curtin of the Capital News Service contributed to this story.

Speak out against this bill! Send comments to:
Deborah Cherry
Democrat of District 26
Office Phone: (517) 373-1636
Office Location: 910 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: SenDCherry@senate.michigan.gov

This is pretty gay, I have 20% on my rolldowns and my car looks damn good with it on, this would be some !@#$% if it got passed.

GO STATE!
2005 Austin Regional Champs!
4/7 years Final Four apperances
5/7 years Elite 8 apperances

Michigan...
Missed 64 team tourney AND,NIT tourney(tourney for losers hahaha)

October 17th, 2005, 12:36 am
Modmin Dude

I've never agreed with window tint laws. It just gives the cops something else to biatch about and pull you over for

October 17th, 2005, 11:57 am
Site Admin

Well I know down south it is a necessity because of how hot it gets. Yeah it looks cool but its functional too...although we are not Arizona I still get fried via greenhouse effect in my car all to often during the summer. It could reduce the amount of AC I use and thus the amount of dough I blow on gas...they have no good reason other than cops not being able to see into my car. What's next? Glass houses? pfft

October 17th, 2005, 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Window tint also makes the windows SAFER. If a standard window breaks, galss fragments can get all over the place, if a tinted window breaks then it is all in one piece and the window is (more) easily removed and less chance for fragmentation

October 17th, 2005, 12:04 pm
National Champion

The Oakland Press missed the obvious headline "Senator Thinks Millic's Windows Too Darko."

October 17th, 2005, 4:07 pm
Site Admin

S&C...you need to post more often :lol:

October 17th, 2005, 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Well I know down south it is a necessity because of how hot it gets. Yeah it looks cool but its functional too...although we are not Arizona I still get fried via greenhouse effect in my car all to often during the summer. It could reduce the amount of AC I use and thus the amount of dough I blow on gas...they have no good reason other than cops not being able to see into my car. What's next? Glass houses? pfft

its been proven that AC doesnt effect gas milage

October 17th, 2005, 8:11 pm
theAlphaMale wrote:

its been proven that AC doesnt effect gas milage

Actually that is false. Pending on where you got your results I can explain to you why.

TheRealWags wrote:
Window tint also makes the windows SAFER. If a standard window breaks, galss fragments can get all over the place, if a tinted window breaks then it is all in one piece and the window is (more) easily removed and less chance for fragmentation

It's actually safer on multiple accounts. It also protects the visibility of your personal belongings from would be theives.

A good tip for keeping dark windows on your car and not getting a ticket for it. A police officer that I am sort of related to told me that police officers do NOT like tint because it inhibits their safety. They cannot tell what you are doing in your car when they have you pulled over. He says that one of the scariest things for a police officer is walking up to a vehicle that has tinted windows. I have tried this and it has worked EVERY TIME. I have 15% on my front two, and 5% on my rear windows. Anything darker than 30% is illegal in the front, and anything goes for the rear (as of now, Granholm may try to change that... I don't think she's ever met a law she didn't like). If you roll down your windows when you get pulled over, effictively eliminating the tint, and turn your interior light on illuminating the inside of the car, allowing the officer to see inside, they are much much less inclined to give you a ticket.

October 17th, 2005, 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]