View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Half the Size, Twice the Man 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Half the Size, Twice the Man
I sat in the dentist office yesterday and, while waiting, picked up a copy of Sports Illustrated. I read this story - and it's a good one.

I don't have a subscription so I can't print all of it here for you but if anyone does it's well worth a read.

"I once complained I had no shoes... Until I met a man that had no legs."

Si.com wrote:
Half the Size, Twice the Man

You think you've seen refs as blind as newborn moles? You think you've seen officials make bizarre calls? You've seen zebras who are as boneheaded as a box of hammers?

Well, you ain't seen blind, bizarre and boneheaded until you've seen this.

It's halftime of a game in Dayton on Sept. 16 -- Colonel White High against Mount Healthy. After Colonel White leaves the locker room, the refs approach the coaches on the sideline. Crew chief Dennis Daly announces, "Number 99 cannot play in this game anymore. He's not wearing shoes, knee pads or thigh pads."

Bobby Martin plays special teams and backup noseguard for Colonel White High of Dayton.

By Rick Reilly

The remainder of this story is at Si.com/Reilly

October 21st, 2005, 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Half the Size, Twice the Man
LionFan57 wrote:
I sat in the dentist office yesterday and, while waiting, picked up a copy of Sports Illustrated. I read this story - and it's a good one.

I don't have a subscription so I can't print all of it here for you but if anyone does it's well worth a read.

They did a special on this guy on ESPN. Heart warming story, and I don't mean to be heartless, but the guy is really a detriment to his team. Maybe he provides some emotional or motivational level of contribution, but he got his FIRST tackel the other day some 4-5 weeks into the season. The coach not only allows him to be on the team, but also on the field. Personally I think that is wrong. It really puts the other team in an akward and wrong position. "To run over the guy with no legs, or not to run over the guy with no legs." And, his "tackel" came on a guy that was simply ran out of bounds because he didn't want to do just that (run over the guy with no legs).

October 21st, 2005, 11:27 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Half the Size, Twice the Man
wjb21ndtown wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:

They did a special on this guy on ESPN. Heart warming story, and I don't mean to be heartless, but the guy is really a detriment to his team. Maybe he provides some emotional or motivational level of contribution, but he got his FIRST tackel the other day some 4-5 weeks into the season. The coach not only allows him to be on the team, but also on the field. Personally I think that is wrong. It really puts the other team in an akward and wrong position. "To run over the guy with no legs, or not to run over the guy with no legs." And, his "tackel" came on a guy that was simply ran out of bounds because he didn't want to do just that (run over the guy with no legs).

Imagine that!

October 22nd, 2005, 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]