View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 11:50 am



Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Man Sues Home Depot After Using Glue-Covered Toilet 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9516
Location: Dallas
Post Man Sues Home Depot After Using Glue-Covered Toilet
pottytrain4.gif http://www.kirotv.com/irresistible/5239 ... resistible

Quote:
BOULDER, Colo. -- Home Depot has been sued by a man who claims the chain's store in Louisville, Colo., ignored his cries for help after he became glued to a toilet seat as part of a prank.

Bob Dougherty, 57, said he became stuck to the toilet seat last year after somebody smeared glue on it.

He told the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colo., that Home Depot employees "just let me rot."

His lawsuit, filed Friday, said Dougherty was recovering from heart bypass surgery at the time and thought he was having a heart attack. A store employee who heard him calling for help informed the head clerk via radio, but the lawsuit said the head clerk thought it was a hoax.

Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher said she cannot comment on pending litigation.

The lawsuit said after about 15 minutes, store officials called for an ambulance. Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat. The lawsuit said Dougherty passed out while being wheeled out of the store.

The lawsuit said the toilet seat separated from his skin, leaving abrasions.

Dougherty said he blames the home improvement store for "letting me hang in there and just ignoring me."

The incident occurred on the day before Halloween in 2003.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


November 3rd, 2005, 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Man Sues Home Depot After Using Glue-Covered Toilet
Pablo wrote:
pottytrain4.gif http://www.kirotv.com/irresistible/5239 ... resistible

Quote:
BOULDER, Colo. -- Home Depot has been sued by a man who claims the chain's store in Louisville, Colo., ignored his cries for help after he became glued to a toilet seat as part of a prank.

Bob Dougherty, 57, said he became stuck to the toilet seat last year after somebody smeared glue on it.

He told the Daily Camera in Boulder, Colo., that Home Depot employees "just let me rot."

His lawsuit, filed Friday, said Dougherty was recovering from heart bypass surgery at the time and thought he was having a heart attack. A store employee who heard him calling for help informed the head clerk via radio, but the lawsuit said the head clerk thought it was a hoax.

Home Depot spokeswoman Kathryn Gallagher said she cannot comment on pending litigation.

The lawsuit said after about 15 minutes, store officials called for an ambulance. Paramedics unbolted the toilet seat. The lawsuit said Dougherty passed out while being wheeled out of the store.

The lawsuit said the toilet seat separated from his skin, leaving abrasions.

Dougherty said he blames the home improvement store for "letting me hang in there and just ignoring me."

The incident occurred on the day before Halloween in 2003.



Great story Pablo!!

But it doesn't say if he was sitting doing his business or if his nose got stuck from sniffing the glue. :?

_________________
Image


November 3rd, 2005, 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
Although we don't have all of the facts here, if they are presented accurately, this lawsuit is rather silly. It costs a lot of money to file a lawsuit, and how are you going to convince a jury that being forced to sit on a toilet for 15 minutes is worth a considerable sum of money? This, of course, is assuming that Home Depot really was at fault at all, and it doesn't really seem like they are.

Oh yes, and this whole thing is also hilarious! :lol:

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


November 3rd, 2005, 10:55 pm
Profile
Post 
Strawberries&Chocolat wrote:
Although we don't have all of the facts here, if they are presented accurately, this lawsuit is rather silly. It costs a lot of money to file a lawsuit, and how are you going to convince a jury that being forced to sit on a toilet for 15 minutes is worth a considerable sum of money? This, of course, is assuming that Home Depot really was at fault at all, and it doesn't really seem like they are.

Oh yes, and this whole thing is also hilarious! :lol:


S&C... if you don't think this lawsuit is worthwhile you are sadly mistakin'. Home Depot would likely pay hundreds of thousdands of dollars to make this go away. Home Depot's insurance company would likely do the same. There are two seperate issues here. One, is Home Depot responsibile for the quality of their public facilities? Yes. Two, is Home Depot responsible for the safety of their patrons while in the store? Yes. This guy is going to get some fat cash for peeling a little super glue off of his tush. (By the way... it costs around $1,500 to file a claim in circuit court from what I understand. None of those costs are paid by the plaintiff given that the plaintiff only pays a % of his winnings from the case. The cost is bared by the legal firm filing the lawsuit, and later paid after the collection of punitive damages.)


November 5th, 2005, 3:04 pm
National Champion
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2005, 12:35 am
Posts: 881
Location: Boston, MA
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
S&C... if you don't think this lawsuit is worthwhile you are sadly mistakin'. Home Depot would likely pay hundreds of thousdands of dollars to make this go away. Home Depot's insurance company would likely do the same. There are two seperate issues here. One, is Home Depot responsibile for the quality of their public facilities? Yes. Two, is Home Depot responsible for the safety of their patrons while in the store? Yes. This guy is going to get some fat cash for peeling a little super glue off of his tush. (By the way... it costs around $1,500 to file a claim in circuit court from what I understand. None of those costs are paid by the plaintiff given that the plaintiff only pays a % of his winnings from the case. The cost is bared by the legal firm filing the lawsuit, and later paid after the collection of punitive damages.)


WJB... I stand by my earlier statement. The issue is not whether "Home Depot is responsible for their public facilities" but whether they were negligent in maintaining those facilities. Assuming that the issue is presented fully by in the article (and it's probably not), how does not omnisciently perceiving that some jerk put glue on a toilet seat (what's a guy doing sitting on a toilet seat at a Home Depot anyway?) constitute negligence? Home Depot does have a responsibility for the safety of patrons in the store, but that's not absolute. If you and I were to go into a Home Depot and get in a fist fight, I couldn't go and sue (well, I could, but I would lose) Home Depot because you punched me in the face.

Also, in reference to the "plaintiffs don't pay anything" that's true... what happens in those cases is that the lawyer puts up the money and wont' charge unless there's a win... but if there isn't a win, the lawyer's out a lot of time and energy. So usually lawyers who do this type of law accept only a small percentage of cases (they typically reject 90%).

It's not like you can go out and hire a lawyer and get millions of dollars every time you experience some minor annoyance at a Blockbuster Video or something. That said, I suspect there's other factors at work in this case. Did the guy have severe heart problems later as a result of this incident? What exactly happened when the employee "ignored his cries for help"? #1 or #2? (OK, that one might have very little legal significance). :lol:

_________________
Alphonso Smith for Dan Gronkowski? Epic fail, McDaniels.


November 5th, 2005, 7:49 pm
Profile
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1834
Post 
The american Justice system sucks....this guy should get this as glued on a toilet seat in jail IMO

_________________
2011 Adopted Lion: Rob Sims/Looking for a side job at I.H.O.P because he can't stop making pancakes.


November 5th, 2005, 9:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.