View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Finally Illegal WMD found in Iraq 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Finally Illegal WMD found in Iraq
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051116/ap_ ... hosphorous

November 15th, 2005, 10:35 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

November 15th, 2005, 11:05 pm

White phosphorous burns even when you douse it with water. It burns to the skin and starts to melt them down. Not exactly a precision strike weapon especially not a healthy lathering upon a civilian city.

Napalm is forbidden in the Geneva conventions. It remains the only WMD used in Iraq since 2003.

"The documentary, entitled Fallujah: the Hidden Massacre, also provides what it claims is clinching evidence that incendiary bombs known as Mark 77, a new, improved form of napalm, was used in the attack on Fallujah, in breach of the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons of 1980, which only allows its use against military targets. "

This was all old news, but the liberal media sure buried it. One month after the use of Mark 77 trucks came in not to rebuild Fallujah but to haul away the incriminating dirt. To this day there are places where nothing grows in Fallujah. I guess it took 3 years but someone is going to have to take responsibility for these war crimes and stupidity. It is amazing that the republican controlled senate had to fight to ban torture, an interrogation method that has been conclusively proven as ineffective. What is it with these guys and maiming human bodies? There is something really deranged about this administration.

November 16th, 2005, 4:47 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

O.K......I didn't see most of what you just posted in the article that you provided a link to, so that is where my question came from. Personally I don't care what they did to the insurgents but do not condone the killing of any civilians.

November 16th, 2005, 10:32 pm

http://www.aljazeerah.info/Opinion%20editorials/2005%20Opinion%20Editorials/November/16%20o/US%20Lied%20About%20Using%20Chemical%20Weapons%20in%20Iraq%20By%20George%20Monbiot.htm

I would not have a problem using such a weapon against "terrorists" that is people who hide behind walls and use non-combatant means to strike your troops.

The reason napalm is a weapon of mass destruction is because it an indiscrimate area weapon that engulfs everyone in the blast area.

Here is how it was used:

US troops surrounded Fallujah. They sat outside for about two weeks allowing women, most children, and some old men to leave. Generally, teenish looking boys and men were sent back into the city.

The US attacked a civilian hospital which was a media outlet for the campaign and indiscriminate bombing. Then they moved into the city. They used HE and in certain pockets phosphorous and napalm. These weapons engulfed wide areas consuming both civilians and insurgents alike. Reasoning on the basis of estimates about insurgent fighters and who reasonably could have escaped the cordon, the majority of casualities were definitely civilians. The media has not been allowed into Fallujah since that day.

The military rationale was simple and understandable. Save American lives. Even on that basis, you have to wonder if a smarter rebuilding Iraq plan rather than rehashing the failed Vietnam scorched earth policy might have led to a succesful outcome that would have saved American lives and tax dollars.

This is a major war crime repugnant on moral grounds. I believe it was equally disasterous for the US mission, because the survivors of Fallujah told their story to all the Arab world. Al Qaeda in Iraq has grown by leaps and bounds ever since and the possibility of establishing a stable Iraq died one year ago. The sooner we admit this is a quagmire the better. I pray for the Iraqis when we leave, because I figure the civil war will make Saddam reign look like a paradise.

November 17th, 2005, 12:32 am
Modmin Dude

No offense, but for some strange reason I don't usually believe Al-Jeezera as far as I could throw them......

November 17th, 2005, 9:06 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't believe al-jazeera either, and I don't believe it said they used napalm, it said white phospherous. You can when this is mixed with that it becomes something else, but it didn't say that US troops were doing that either.

November 17th, 2005, 11:17 am
Modmin Dude

Post Iraq probes white phosphorus use
From CNN.com

Quote:
Iraq probes white phosphorus use

Thursday, November 17, 2005; Posted: 10:32 a.m. EST (15:32 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq has launched an investigation into allegations -- denied by the Pentagon -- that U.S. soldiers aimed artillery rounds of flammable white phosphorus at civilians.

Doctors and teams from Iraq's Health Ministry have been dispatched to Falluja "so we can get a real answer," acting Human Rights Minister Nermin Othman Hassan told a news conference on Thursday.

"In some cases (the injuries) can look like phosphorus, but it can be something else."

U.S. military officials confirmed Wednesday that its troops used white phosphorus during an offensive to rid Falluja of insurgents last November, but the officials denied an Italian report that the weapon was aimed at civilians. (Full story)

An Italian documentary showed what it claimed were badly burned victims.

Pentagon and military officials told CNN that white phosphorus was used in Falluja as a smoke screen to hide advancing U.S. troops as well as to target insurgents in trenches and "spider holes."

In an article in the March-April issue of Field Artillery magazine, soldiers said the white phosphorus was used to flush out insurgents so U.S. forces could target them with high explosives.

Pentagon officials said white phosphorus is a conventional weapon and is used for several purposes -- from creating smoke screens to marking targets -- and that it can be used against enemy combatants.

The Pentagon says the military use of white phosphorus is not not illegal and that it is not considered a chemical weapon.

In 2004, the State Department said the United States had not used white phosphorus against enemy forces in the November offensive. Earlier this month, the department said that statement was incorrect.

"There is a great deal of misinformation feeding on itself about U.S. forces allegedly using 'outlawed' weapons in Falluja," the department said.

"The facts are that U.S. forces are not using any illegal weapons in Falluja or anywhere else in Iraq."

A protocol to an accord on conventional weapons that came into force in 1983 forbids the use of incendiary weapons against civilians, Reuters said.

The protocol also bans their use against military targets near concentrations of civilians, except when they are clearly separated from civilians and "all feasible precautions" are taken to avoid civilian casualties, the news agency added.

However, while the U.S. signed the overall accord, it did not ratify the incendiary-weapons protocol or another involving blinding laser weapons.

CNN Pentagon Producer Mike Mount contributed to this report

November 17th, 2005, 12:04 pm

If you read the link I think you will find US troops bragging about using Napalm, both in the field and in trade journals.

You should always be critical of yoru source especially if it is George's mouth, right?

November 17th, 2005, 6:42 pm

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/pol ... 327543.ece

November 17th, 2005, 7:25 pm
Varsity Captain

White phosphorus has been used for years as concealment, from the evidence i have read the Italian documentary completely misinformed on the nature of the burns on the bodies, the burns were not consistant with a white phosphorus burn (had they been white phosphorus burns you would see distinct area where the actually compound made contact), but were a text book example of a bodies exposed the Middle Eastern heat.

The idea that civilians were targeted is rediculas, the U.S. has nothing to gain from targetting civilians. Could civilians be hurt or killed when insurgants hide in civilian areas and attack U.S. troops?, of course such situations are unavoidable but the U.S. wouldnt target any civilian.

December 3rd, 2005, 10:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]