View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 What makes a life long Lions fan ? 
Junior Varsity

Post What makes a life long Lions fan ?
Lou Creekmur, Doak Walker, Bobby Layne. These guys and many more
will not fade from memory. Coach Buddy Parker,LB and coach Joe Schmidt, Night Train, all ... an NFL Dynasty never to be seen or matched
since in the city of Detroit.

CANTON, Ohio (July 28, 2000) ? When a Hall of Fame football player talks about the signature play of his career, the conversation usually centers around a playoff or championship game.

Lou Creekmur was a part of three championship teams during the Detroit Lions' glory days of the 1950s, but the play he remembers most vividly was one of the very first of his professional career.

"My rookie year, we played our first exhibition game and they had me starting off at left guard," Creekmur said. "I backed up and let some big ox get by me and get to (quarterback) Bobby Layne. Bobby came up off the ground, got in my face and just chewed me out. I said 'Bobby, I'm going to make a promise to you right now: I will never ever let another guy hit you when you get back to pass.' "

If you don't immediately remember the on-the-field exploits of Creekmur, rest assured you're not alone. Despite the three titles, an iron-man streak of 165 straight games and eight Pro Bowl selections, the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee passed on inducting Creekmur until 1996. (He retired in 1959.)

There was no such thing as 53-man rosters and one-way players when Hall of Famer Lou Creekmur was working in the trenches for the Detroit Lions half a century ago.

"We had a roster of 30 ballplayers and you had to play the entire game ? offense and defense," Creekmur said. "Nowadays, all they is to do is stand up and muscle each other. They're big like bears.

"It just wasn't that way when we were playing. We were pulling and everything else."

Creekmur still loves to watch football and religiously roots for the Lions. He chuckles in amazement when he ponders the fact that the Lions have not won a championship since his playing days.

Whenever he's asked why the Detroit teams of the 1950s were so successful, Creekmur offers a simple reply.

"We were so close, we had such camaraderie," he said.

Following that telling preseason play in 1950, Creekmur went on to develop a bond with Layne that few of today's linemen and quarterbacks seem to share.

"Probably the reason I became All-Pro and ended up in the Hall was Bobby Layne," he said.

NOT EVEN CLOSE in 50 years .... how pathetic ?

************ THImK ***********************

November 20th, 2005, 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]