View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Do you like the fact that the Lions play every Thanksgiving? 

Do you like the fact that the Lions and Cowboys play every Thanksgiving?
Yes, keep the tradition 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
No, it's time for some new blood 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Do you like the fact that the Lions play every Thanksgiving? 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Do you like the fact that the Lions play every Thanksgiving?
SI.com's Poll Question...

For those that don't know, Lamar Hunt, the owner of the KC Chiefs has led a fierce battle for about 10 years to rotate the Thanksgiving day games among the NFL teams.

Needless to say the Fords family has countered stating the tradition since 1934 (1963 for the Cowboys) among other reasons why the lions should retain the morning game.

Hunt contends that the 10 days off following the game gives the Lions an unfair advantage every year in the form of 10 days to prepare for the next game. (This argument is truly stupid and ignores the disadvantage of the 4 days we had to prepare for the Turkey Day game itself).

Several solutions have been suggested - including rotating the two games. I'm in favor of the solution that the Fords have made which is to retain the tradition of the Lions and Cowboys and add a late game (8 pm) that gets rotated throughout the league.

The biggest problem facing the Lions is their piss poor record. They stink this last 5 years and the TV audience nationally is suffering. (Which is why they are matched up against big name draw teams like the Packers, Colts and Falcons the last 3 years).

Look at the poll results and you can see the nation is growing tired of this Detroit tradition.

Please log on to SI.com and cast your vote...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/

SI.com wrote:

Yes, it's tradition 55% 12007 votes

No, it's time for some new blood 45% 9810 votes

Total: 21817 votes

November 26th, 2005, 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I guess I never really thought about it like that. I can see the other team's point, but they should respect our traditions, IMO. And that 10 days rest is really negated by the short week before the Thanksgiving game.

November 26th, 2005, 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lamar Hunt is not concerned with an unfair advantage, it's a money thing. The Lions and Cowboys are guaranteed national TV exposure every year, and Hunt doesn't like it. While it really doesn't mean much in the NFL, since the sales of NFL gear is considered shared revenue, it does guarantee (almost) that the stadiums in Detroit and Dallas will be sold out for that game every year.

Lamar Hunt is a money hungry old man, and he's just pissed that his team never took up the tradition.

November 26th, 2005, 8:15 pm
Pro Bowl Player

We always get thanksgiving and never get Monday nighters - I guess the last few years I could've gone with out the Lions playing (and ruining my appetite), but I like the tradition - It wouldn't be the same without em'

November 29th, 2005, 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]