View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm



Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Maize and Blue 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post Maize and Blue
Well, I just got accepted to UofM. I don't know if I will go yet, I may go to Central and save the money, but I just thought I would spread the joy. toothy10.gif

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


December 5th, 2005, 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post Re: Maize and Blue
bsand2053 wrote:
Well, I just got accepted to UofM. I don't know if I will go yet, I may go to Central and save the money, but I just thought I would spread the joy. toothy10.gif


CONGRATS BSAND!!!!

hello2.gif


Image

Kitty Loaf says great job too!!!! :wink:

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


December 5th, 2005, 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Maize and Blue
bsand2053 wrote:
Well, I just got accepted to UofM. I don't know if I will go yet, I may go to Central and save the money, but I just thought I would spread the joy. toothy10.gif


If you have a chance to go to U of M you're crazy not to go. I realize it is a TON more expensive, but take the financial aid and student loans and make it happen. The quality of education you will receive at U of M is far beyond anything that Central can offer you as well as the cultural experience. Michigan is an excellent school, and is on a totally different league when compared to any other school in MI in regards to academics.

Good luck with where ever you decide to go!

Regards,
Will


December 5th, 2005, 4:57 pm
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post 
Well it does depend on what degree you are pursuing...Central is a great school for teaching degrees. Michigan would not be my first choice for some specific degrees but for the most part you cannot go wrong going to what many consider the top public institution in the country.

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


December 5th, 2005, 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Maize and Blue
bsand2053 wrote:
Well, I just got accepted to UofM. I don't know if I will go yet, I may go to Central and save the money, but I just thought I would spread the joy. toothy10.gif




Very Cool!!

Good job!


Congratulations! =D>

_________________
Image


December 5th, 2005, 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
Thank you fellas. :D

I will see how I do on my Centralis scholarship competitions (CMU scholarship) and then probalby make my choice.

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


December 5th, 2005, 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
theAlphaMale wrote:
Well it does depend on what degree you are pursuing...Central is a great school for teaching degrees. Michigan would not be my first choice for some specific degrees but for the most part you cannot go wrong going to what many consider the top public institution in the country.


Central, Mich. State, and Wayne State are all excellent for education... However, IMO, education is a fluff degree that really doesn't mean a whole lot. The loser kids that were boarderline drop outs from my HS are now all teachers because they "only have to work 9 months of the year." For any real degree U of M is tops, or near tops in the state.


December 5th, 2005, 5:39 pm
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 9:02 am
Posts: 309
Location: Oceania
Post 
As someone with a Master's Degree in Higher Education, I think passing up going to U of M solely because of the financial issues would be a mistake.

Oh, I also have a B.S. in Chemistry from Michigan Tech and am currently pursuing a Doctor of Chiropractic degree, so not everyone who gets a degree in education does so because it's a "fluff" degree wjb.

_________________
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.." - Carl Sagan


December 5th, 2005, 7:26 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10288
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
Bsand, what's your intended major? I say intended, because there's a 70% chance you'll switch while in school. What major you decide on, or what field in general, should have A LOT to do with what school you decide to go to...as well as financial aid. That's the reason I picked ISU over U of M...ISU was WAY more friendly - and they gave me more money because of it. Pick the school that will treat you better.

Don't let U of M's big name fool you, it's not the best school in the world like some people make it out to be. If you're going LAS - go to a smaller school rather than waste your money. It doesn't matter where you get your undergrad, but where you get your Masters. Most places like to see Masters or PhDs nowadays...especially if you're in LAS like business, pysch, soc, education, etc.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


December 5th, 2005, 7:26 pm
Profile
Post 
LostinIA wrote:
As someone with a Master's Degree in Higher Education, I think passing up going to U of M solely because of the financial issues would be a mistake.

Oh, I also have a B.S. in Chemistry from Michigan Tech and am currently pursuing a Doctor of Chiropractic degree, so not everyone who gets a degree in education does so because it's a "fluff" degree wjb.


Lost... I commend your academic achievements. Personally I am finishing a MA in political science, and I plan on starting my JD this fall. However, I would like to ask, would you consider a BA in education, as a stand alone degree, a "fluff" degree? I'm sure you can tell that I do. It's a relatively easy program, and it seems to be a choice degree of HS rejects. People say that teachers are under-paid, but I disagree. They have very little formal education IMO, and they only work 10 months a year. I think a huge problem with our education system in the US is that 1) we give too much time off of school, and 2) that our teachers are unqualified (at least our public school teachers). I know I will be sending my children (should I choose to have any) to private schools even if I have to take a 2nd mortgage on my house.


December 5th, 2005, 7:40 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 7:42 pm
Posts: 684
Location: some beach, somewhere
Post 
Way to go!!! no matter which road you travel, good luck!!!


December 5th, 2005, 7:57 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
Bsand, what's your intended major? I say intended, because there's a 70% chance you'll switch while in school. What major you decide on, or what field in general, should have A LOT to do with what school you decide to go to...as well as financial aid. That's the reason I picked ISU over U of M...ISU was WAY more friendly - and they gave me more money because of it. Pick the school that will treat you better.

Don't let U of M's big name fool you, it's not the best school in the world like some people make it out to be. If you're going LAS - go to a smaller school rather than waste your money. It doesn't matter where you get your undergrad, but where you get your Masters. Most places like to see Masters or PhDs nowadays...especially if you're in LAS like business, pysch, soc, education, etc.


I've been rolling history, journalism, physics, and poli sci around in my head. If I go for journalism, I will consider CMU more because of their J program. As far as smaller schools, I looked at Central's history courses and wasn't really impressed with the choices.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think a huge problem with our education system in the US is that 1) we give too much time off of school


Hold on just a second. :evil:

LOL, I think that the amount of school we get off is just fine. As far as private schools, I definitly agree with you. I went private K-8 and public during HS, and there is a huge differnce. I could have tested out of quite a bit of my first two years, and even after that, public schools are a lot easier. My old friends at the Catholic high school are studing for hours to get decent grades while most of the good students at my school don't have stress too much to get A's.

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


December 5th, 2005, 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
bsand2053 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think a huge problem with our education system in the US is that 1) we give too much time off of school


Hold on just a second. :evil:

LOL, I think that the amount of school we get off is just fine. As far as private schools, I definitly agree with you. I went private K-8 and public during HS, and there is a huge differnce. I could have tested out of quite a bit of my first two years, and even after that, public schools are a lot easier. My old friends at the Catholic high school are studing for hours to get decent grades while most of the good students at my school don't have stress too much to get A's.


LoL... I understand that we enjoy and value our 3 month long summer vacations, but if you look at our society compared to others we get way too much consecutive time off of school. According to comparitive and experimental studies of the learning process when more than something like 25-30 days are spent away from an educational institution students start regressing. That means that we have to re-teach much of what has already been learned. I don't agree with the Asian scholastic system and their decision to go to school all year long, but I do agree with the European system (both of schooling and of businiess). Most European states get the entire month of August off of school and work (except for the service sector and necessary areas of society). I don't know which states specifically, but I am told that many schools give the entire month of December off as well. From what I am told Germany is one of them. It is the consecutive months off of school with which I disagree more so than the amount of time.

Also, thinking back to when I was younger (which wasn't all that long ago) though I never really wanted to go back to school after the summer was over (I think few kids truely enjoy going to school over such important tasks as watching cartoons and playing), but I was truely bored with being away from my friends that lived a distance too far to walk to or ride a bike to see. Two seperate month long vacations, and adding a month to our school year would do our youth a tremendous service IMO.


December 5th, 2005, 8:17 pm
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 9:02 am
Posts: 309
Location: Oceania
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
People say that teachers are under-paid, but I disagree. They have very little formal education IMO, and they only work 10 months a year.


It's a Catch-22. Most likely, if teachers were paid better the profession would attract better qualified individuals.

Also, I would not say that a B.A. in education is automatically a fluff degree. It CAN be, but I wouldn't say it immediately qualifies for that status.

_________________
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.." - Carl Sagan


December 5th, 2005, 8:48 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Pittsford Michigan
Post 
Congratulations!

As far as choosing a school it all depend on that area your going for a degree in.

U of M, has great Engineering, and Medical.
MSU, he great electrical, and animal sciences.
CMU, has a great education program.
WMU, has a good education program and art program.

The only one i considered was MSU, but that was only because i work in industrial technology field, in all seriousness dont automatically count out community colleges or small state schools, some have excellent programs Tri-State for engineering for example.

I would say if you have the money go for U of M if your going with Journalism.


December 5th, 2005, 10:22 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.