View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Maize and Blue 
QB Coach

Post Re: Maize and Blue
bsand2053 wrote:
Well, I just got accepted to UofM. I don't know if I will go yet, I may go to Central and save the money, but I just thought I would spread the joy. toothy10.gif

Congrats! :idea:

The Centralis Scholarship program is an excellent oppurtunity. Good luck there.

Have you been accepted anywhere else?

December 5th, 2005, 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Brian wrote:
bsand2053 wrote:
Well, I just got accepted to UofM. I don't know if I will go yet, I may go to Central and save the money, but I just thought I would spread the joy. toothy10.gif

Congrats! :idea:

The Centralis Scholarship program is an excellent oppurtunity. Good luck there.

Have you been accepted anywhere else?

Thanks man.

The only other one is Central. That was a joke, got accepted in about 2 minutes, well, at least compared to UofM's waiting period. :lol:

December 5th, 2005, 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

U of M, has great Engineering, and Medical.
MSU, he great electrical, and animal sciences.
CMU, has a great education program.
WMU, has a good education program and art program.

WMU has very, very good EE and Cpr E programs as well.

Bsand - Poli Sci, History, and Journalism -- save your money and go to a cheaper school. ESPECIALLY IF GOING WITH HISTORY! Unless you're getting a Masters (as a min), don't waste your money on a history degree from U of M. Physics...it's fairly general anywhere you go. It depends on what you want to do. What would you want to do that's physics related? Electrical, magnetical, mechanical,...? Physics is a VERY BROAD field, I reccomend getting a Masters if you're going with Physics...

The thing about these basic undergrad degree programs is that most schools are the same (they have to be to be an accredited institution in that given area - engineering for example). It's what you want to emphasize that really matters - or if you want to get a Masters.

December 6th, 2005, 12:03 am
HunterMSU wrote:
U of M, has great Engineering, and Medical.
MSU, he great electrical, and animal sciences.
CMU, has a great education program.
WMU, has a good education program and art program.

WMU has very, very good EE and Cpr E programs as well.

Bsand - Poli Sci, History, and Journalism -- save your money and go to a cheaper school. ESPECIALLY IF GOING WITH HISTORY! Unless you're getting a Masters (as a min), don't waste your money on a history degree from U of M. Physics...it's fairly general anywhere you go. It depends on what you want to do. What would you want to do that's physics related? Electrical, magnetical, mechanical,...? Physics is a VERY BROAD field, I reccomend getting a Masters if you're going with Physics...

The thing about these basic undergrad degree programs is that most schools are the same (they have to be to be an accredited institution in that given area - engineering for example). It's what you want to emphasize that really matters - or if you want to get a Masters.

Conversion... I have to disagree with you as far as PS is concerned. U of M has a nationally rated top notch program that is by far the best in the state. In addion, unlike a history degree, places that will be looking to hire someone with a BA in PS will care what university the applicant went to.

December 6th, 2005, 12:44 am
Site Admin

However, IMO, education is a fluff degree that really doesn't mean a whole lot. The loser kids that were boarderline drop outs from my HS are now all teachers because they "only have to work 9 months of the year." For any real degree U of M is tops, or near tops in the state.

lol what a jerky response. My brother is a teacher and a damn fine one at that. They may have summer off but when he is working he is always working. They also don't have the fluff cubicle gig that allows one to space away for days on end...you are front and center with 30 people awaiting your instruction and lessons...when school is over you take your work home with you writing tests...correcting homework/papers/tests etc...

It is seriously a job I could not do. My brother teaches in the district I live in...making me a psuedo celeb. I can't gone to the pizza store/video store/hardware store/walked down the street without some kid telling me how my brother made a difference in their life. My brother and I were walking down at the end of my street and a girl recoginized him and ran up thanking him. She said she would have dropped out of school had it not been for him...that blew me away...my brother whom I tenderly refer to as buttface providing such admirable guidance and motivation to kids.

Anyways, I realize that not all teachers give it what he does but the fact is that that issue is true with any profession.

IMO it is truly an opportunity to impact peoples lives in a huge way. There is nothing wrong with teaching :?

December 6th, 2005, 12:50 am
Profile WWW
wjb21ndtown wrote:
However, IMO, education is a fluff degree that really doesn't mean a whole lot. The loser kids that were boarderline drop outs from my HS are now all teachers because they "only have to work 9 months of the year." For any real degree U of M is tops, or near tops in the state.

lol what a jerky response. My brother is a teacher and a damn fine one at that. They may have summer off but when he is working he is always working. They also don't have the fluff cubicle gig that allows one to space away for days on end...you are front and center with 30 people awaiting your instruction and lessons...when school is over you take your work home with you writing tests...correcting homework/papers/tests etc...

It is seriously a job I could not do. My brother teaches in the district I live in...making me a psuedo celeb. I can't gone to the pizza store/video store/hardware store/walked down the street without some kid telling me how my brother made a difference in their life. My brother and I were walking down at the end of my street and a girl recoginized him and ran up thanking him. She said she would have dropped out of school had it not been for him...that blew me away...my brother whom I tenderly refer to as buttface providing such admirable guidance and motivation to kids.

Anyways, I realize that not all teachers give it what he does but the fact is that that issue is true with any profession.

IMO it is truly an opportunity to impact peoples lives in a huge way. There is nothing wrong with teaching :?

Alpha, you are falsely attributing arguments to me that I never made. I said that a degree in education is a fluff degree. I never said that being a teacher is easy, or less than admirable. Despite what they go through after their graduation, their college careers are in fact easy along with the degree program.

December 6th, 2005, 1:46 am
RIP Killer

bsand2053 wrote:

Congrats - that is awesome. As someone who compared Central to MSU years ago, it was no contest for me (especially as a freshman who hadn't picked a major yet). I picked up my MBA from Wayne State, it was a decent education but lacked the whole college experience (plus I don't get to watch them play on TV - go Tarters)...

UofM does have a good rep nationally, as do many big schools. I'll tell you as someone who does a lot of hiring, after that initial job I could care less what school someone went to - its all about attitude and performance at that point.

Regardless of your decision - congrats - getting accepted to Michigan is an accomplishment in itself. I hope you have a great college experience - enjoy it immensly.

December 6th, 2005, 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
I picked up my MBA from Wayne State, it was a decent education but lacked the whole college experience (plus I don't get to watch them play on TV - go Tarters)...

LoL... It's the WSU Warriors now Pablo... I liked the tartars better though... they were a very interesting people.

Not that you care what the team mascot is... just so you don't happen upon a homecoming game for old times sake and chant the wrong cheer! :wink: .

December 6th, 2005, 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2