View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 6:23 am



Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Muslim Leaders Pledge Crackdown on Extremism 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12048
Post Muslim Leaders Pledge Crackdown on Extremism
Quote:
MECCA, Saudi Arabia ? Leaders from more than 50 Muslim countries promised Thursday to fight extremist ideology, saying they would reform textbooks, restrict religious edicts and crack down on terror financing.

Kings, heads of states and ministers closed a two-day summit in Islam's holiest city, Mecca, that had been convened to address terrorism, seeking to counter criticism that the Islamic world has done little to confront extremism.

"The Islamic nation is in a crisis. This crisis does not reflect on the present alone, but also on its future and the future of humanity at large," said the final statement of the gathering. "We need decisive action to fight deviant ideas because they are the justification of terrorism."

In the declaration, the countries of the Organization of the Islamic Conference promised to "change national laws to criminalize financing and incitement" as well as purge extremist ideas from school curriculums.

It also underlined that "fatwas" ? or Islamic religious edicts ? must only be issued by "those who are authorized," an effort to rein in edicts by clerics who denounce other Muslims and allow their killing.

"It is now up to every Muslim government to implement the measures, God willing," Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal said at a news conference.

Leaders of about 40 countries were participating in the meeting of the Organization of the Islamic Conference, with the remaining OIC members represented by ministers.

Saudi Arabia has cracked down on Al Qaeda militants there since a wave of attacks in early 2003, and King Abdullah has taken gradual steps to clamp down on militant preachers in his country, the homeland of Al Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden and 15 of the 19 suicide hijackers in the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks in the United States.

Jordan's King Abdullah II also played a leading role at the summit, pressing for strong language against terrorism and extremist ideology after his country was hit by its worst ever terror attack last month, a triple suicide bombing at Amman hotels that killed 60 people.

Among noted absentees were Syrian President Bashar Assad, Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika ? hospitalized in France ? and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.


Its nice to see the Muslim leaders uniting against Extremism, let's hope that it does some good and gains momentum.

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 9th, 2005, 11:17 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Muslim Leaders Pledge Crackdown on Extremism
TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:
MECCA, Saudi Arabia ? Leaders from more than 50 Muslim countries promised Thursday to fight extremist ideology, saying they would reform textbooks, restrict religious edicts and crack down on terror financing.

Kings, heads of states and ministers closed a two-day summit in Islam's holiest city, Mecca, that had been convened to address terrorism, seeking to counter criticism that the Islamic world has done little to confront extremism.

"The Islamic nation is in a crisis. This crisis does not reflect on the present alone, but also on its future and the future of humanity at large," said the final statement of the gathering. "We need decisive action to fight deviant ideas because they are the justification of terrorism."

In the declaration, the countries of the Organization of the Islamic Conference promised to "change national laws to criminalize financing and incitement" as well as purge extremist ideas from school curriculums.

It also underlined that "fatwas" ? or Islamic religious edicts ? must only be issued by "those who are authorized," an effort to rein in edicts by clerics who denounce other Muslims and allow their killing.

"It is now up to every Muslim government to implement the measures, God willing," Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal said at a news conference.

Leaders of about 40 countries were participating in the meeting of the Organization of the Islamic Conference, with the remaining OIC members represented by ministers.

Saudi Arabia has cracked down on Al Qaeda militants there since a wave of attacks in early 2003, and King Abdullah has taken gradual steps to clamp down on militant preachers in his country, the homeland of Al Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden and 15 of the 19 suicide hijackers in the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks in the United States.

Jordan's King Abdullah II also played a leading role at the summit, pressing for strong language against terrorism and extremist ideology after his country was hit by its worst ever terror attack last month, a triple suicide bombing at Amman hotels that killed 60 people.

Among noted absentees were Syrian President Bashar Assad, Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika ? hospitalized in France ? and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.


Its nice to see the Muslim leaders uniting against Extremism, let's hope that it does some good and gains momentum.




Image

_________________
Image


December 9th, 2005, 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 8:42 pm
Posts: 3811
Post 
Americans need to crack down on extremism too. It is pretty scary when policy is forged not by the reality on the ground but what he believes god whispers to him. Crusades are like so passe.

_________________
Far and away from the sound and the fury. . .


December 9th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 7:42 pm
Posts: 684
Location: some beach, somewhere
Post 
believe it when you see it!!!


December 9th, 2005, 7:06 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 7:20 pm
Posts: 292
Location: Pittsford Michigan
Post 
Yorick wrote:
Americans need to crack down on extremism too. It is pretty scary when policy is forged not by the reality on the ground but what he believes god whispers to him. Crusades are like so passe.


I didnt realize being religious was extremism...


December 9th, 2005, 9:37 pm
Profile
Post 
HunterMSU wrote:
Yorick wrote:
Americans need to crack down on extremism too. It is pretty scary when policy is forged not by the reality on the ground but what he believes god whispers to him. Crusades are like so passe.


I didnt realize being religious was extremism...


It becomes extreme when it manifests itself into public policy. "God" can "whisper" anything he wishes into anyones ear, but that doesn't mean it should be made into law or that other people should be forced to follow it.


December 9th, 2005, 9:48 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.