View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Time for New Blood in Detroit, Down with the Good Ole Boys! 
Bubbles the Lion

Post Time for New Blood in Detroit, Down with the Good Ole Boys!
I really hate to say this, but I just want to speak my mind. I am really pulling for the Lions to hire a Black Head Coach. I want Mike Singletary, Mo Carthon or Tim Lewis. I would even take Ron Rivera. I think today's NFL player would respond to any of these guys and especially the young players on our team.

All these guys are former players who all have certain strengths of their own and have had success in this league. Some have had varying success on and off the field and all seem to be good character and hard working men.

I just think the Lions have tried hiring guys who have come from the Good Ole Boys Network (Marty, Mooch, Ross) and it is time for us to look in another direction. Atleast 2 of these guys will get Head Coaching Jobs and 1 of them needs to be the Lions new coach.

More than anything this team need someone they can respect and that has fought the same battles they are fighting on the field right now. I really think the players although they say they liked Mooch he could not connect with them and they did not lay it on the line for him.

Here is a little food for thought. Every Black Head Coach EVER in the NFL has had a winning season and ALL have taken their teams to the playoffs. In fact before this year Black NFL Head Coaches have made the playoffs 67% of the time. This year Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith and Marvin Lewis all are in the playoffs and won their division. With that said I know Edwards, Green and Crennell did not make the playoffs, but I think Green's and Edward's record speak for themselves and Crennell is widely thought to have done a great job in Cleveland this year.

I won't be upset if the Lions go in a different direction I just think it is time for Detroit to think outside the box and give a brother a chance here in Detroit. Afterall we have tried all the other routes already and our most recent best coach was a minority gentelmen named Wayne Fontes. I would hate for us to miss out on the next Lewis, Smith, Edwards or Crennell only to go with another former PROVEN coach or another Good Ole Boy!

Just my 2 cents!

January 4th, 2006, 6:53 pm
NFL Veteran

I would agree with you on the youth infusion. But I wouldn't limit myself to just a black coach. Perhaps it's a tougher gig for black coaches to get into the nfl so only the cream of the crop are hired. But just letting the first black coach to sign on the bottom line wouldn't be prudent business either. But if you close your options to only black coaches, you rule out other excellent prospects like Schwartz, Grimm, Ferentz, Saunders and Sherman.

January 4th, 2006, 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Frankly i dont care if the new coach were black, white, or purple, but regardless we need someone to light a fire under some of these players, improve the poor OL, and utilize the abilities of the offense better.

Mike Singletary interests me, Mo Carthon or Tim Lewis not so much...

January 4th, 2006, 7:14 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I didn't say just take the first Black Coach and sign him up I said I am just hoping we go that route. It has been proven that in the History of the NFL that with all things being EQUAL the Black/Minority coaches have been constantly passed over. Afterall we had the opportunity to interview and possibibly hire both Herm Edwards and Marvin Lewis but passed on both for Marty. We then again could have interviewed Crennell and Lovie but chose to rush into hiring Mooch.

I am not saying don't interview those other candidates I am just saying that HISTORY has proven that given the chance Black Coaches do very well and I am hoping that 1 of them get the job here in Detroit. By the way I personally consider Saunders and Sherman to be retreads and don't want either man. I wouldn't mind Schwartz or Ferentz but they just as much or less experience than Carthon, Rivera, Mike or Lewis. Ferentz in a college coach and I don't want any part of him for this team at all.

Just an FYI! Sherman had no Head Coaching or GM Experience prior to getting his gig in Green Bay. He was the Offensive Coodinator in Seattle for 1 Season before getting the GB gig. Prior to that he was a tight end coach with GB and O-line coach for Texas A&M so the experience factor does not seem to have been an issue in that case and without doing a bunch of fact finding on all the other coaches in the league I think you would find that most coaches did not have a TON of experience as Coodinators before becoming head coaches.

January 4th, 2006, 7:25 pm
Varsity Captain

Just an FYI! Sherman had no Head Coaching or GM Experience prior to getting his gig in Green Bay. He was the Offensive Coodinator in Seattle for 1 Season before getting the GB gig. Prior to that he was a tight end coach with GB and O-line coach for Texas A&M so the experience factor does not seem to have been an issue in that case and without doing a bunch of fact finding on all the other coaches in the league I think you would find that most coaches did not have a TON of experience as Coodinators before becoming head coaches.

Yeah and look at how Sherman did in GB?, that team is damn near ran into the ground right now, i am not sure thats the model i would want the Lions to follow :wink: ...

January 4th, 2006, 7:40 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Hunter that tibit about Sherman was to say that NON-MINORITIES get chances all the time without having the clear credentials, but the last time I checked Sherman did lead his team to the playoffs 3 or 4 years in a row and I think he got a raw deal in Green Bay, but I still don't want him here.

Just like the other Green Bay guys he rode Favre coattails but I here what you are saying. Just pointing out the double standard that stll exists when it comes to hiring NFL Coaches.

It seems the Black/Minority coaches in the public's and NFL brass eyes need to have this long list of coaching or coordinators experience before being giving an opportunity. Of course people will be P.C. and say that is not the case when in fact it is the case.

If you really want to know I think Tim Lewis is the Number #1 coaching prospect right now, but I don't think the Lions will get him and I would like Mike Singletary becuase I believe he will be the best coach for the Lions. My second choice would be Lewis and then Saunders from K.C.. Rivera is my next choice and then Schwartz from Jax.

January 4th, 2006, 8:00 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Mike Sherman also has a 600 winning percentage. His teams in Green Bay had winning seasons 5 out of the 6 years he was there and he had the title of GM and Coach most of his time in Green Bay. The current GM is the reason the Packers suffered this year because they let those 2 OL go via Free Agency. Plus Green Bay suffered way too many injuries.
Mike Sherman is hardly a retread. Sherman deserves second chance based on his records. Sherman has qualifications, he has a record as a Head Coach, a darn good record. And Al Saunders has done a great job handling the offense in KC. Would the guy who called Sherman a retread would had made such a comment if Sherman were black?

I totally agree with Hunter, I could care less about the next HC's skin color. I just care about he will motivate and inspire his players.

And quite frankly I am sick about all this talk about Black Head Coaches and race and color and all that garbage. Race has no place in hirings of any kind.

January 4th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Mike Sherman also has a 600 winning percentage. His teams in Green Bay had winning seasons 5 out of the 6 years he was there and he had the title of GM and Coach most of his time in Green Bay. The current GM is the reason the Packers suffered this year because they let those 2 OL go via Free Agency. Plus Green Bay suffered way too many injuries.
Mike Sherman is hardly a retread. Sherman deserves second chance based on his records. Sherman has qualifications, he has a record as a Head Coach, a darn good record. And Al Saunders has done a great job handling the offense in KC. Would the guy who called Sherman a retread would had made such a comment if Sherman were black?

I totally agree with Hunter, I could care less about the next HC's skin color. I just care about he will motivate and inspire his players.

And quite frankly I am sick about all this talk about Black Head Coaches and race and color and all that garbage. Race has no place in hirings of any kind.

Since people want to jump every little word let me say this and leave it at that. I don't want any coach that has already had a Head Coaching Job in the NFL already...Black, White, Pink, Yellow, Green or Purple.

I would like to see the Lions hire a Qualified Black Head Coach..Period. I would like to see one of these Quailified Black Coaches get a chance in Detroit. Will I cry if they don't No I won't becuase frankly I doubt if WCF would do it.

I love would to never ever have to have this discussion but for people to act like everything is EQUAL in the world of NFL Coaching or for ANY job in the U.S.A. for that matter is naive. I think the majority of people or let me say I would hope for the majority of people that it would not matter but the COLD HARD FACTS of not only NFL Coaching Jobs but most jobs in general is that things are not EQUAL and sadly I doubt they ever will be.

I am sure many of you responding to this thread are genuinly down with everyone getting equal opportunity, but unfortunately folks in the real world we are so far away from that happenning none of us will ever see that day and doubt any of our children ever will.

January 4th, 2006, 9:06 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Here is a little food for thought. Every Black Head Coach EVER in the NFL has had a winning season and ALL have taken their teams to the playoffs. In fact before this year Black NFL Head Coaches have made the playoffs 67% of the time. This year Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith and Marvin Lewis all are in the playoffs and won their division. With that said I know Edwards, Green and Crennell did not make the playoffs, but I think Green's and Edward's record speak for themselves and Crennell is widely thought to have done a great job in Cleveland this year.

I think it says a lot that Dennis Green might be considered the worst coach of that group after this year..........and I think that he has struggled because of his own stubborness in shuffling the lineup and cutting decent players without getting anything in return (Pete Kendall + L.J. Shelton)

Quote:

Considering that about 70% of the players in the NFL are black...........and perhaps many of those players are upset that black men aren't hired all that frequently to coach them...........it is certainly feasible that the black coaches are HAVING SUCCESS because they can motivate and inspire their players more effectively than a guy who doesn't relate as well to them.

I don't care one way or the other whether the coach is black, white, hispanic or whatever else.............but some of these players might?

January 4th, 2006, 9:44 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

What is a "black" head coach? I have no idea what kind of coach we need. We have had player's coach (Fontes), a disciplinarian (Ross), an offensive mind (Marty), a charismatic turn around artist (Mooch), a big time college coach (Rogers), a successful interim coach, the right hand man of a hall of fame coach. You name it we have done it all and it has not worked as we thought. So I guess black is the only thing we have not tried. Except the logic of that statement would suggest to me that four years from now we would still be moaning the same old song.

January 4th, 2006, 11:42 pm
National Champion

You can cross Rivera off the list.TomKowalski: ron rivera is apparently not on the lions list ... he has not been contacted by the lions and has nothing scheduled with the lions this week .. .that means, if the lions ever show interest, they can't talk until the bears have been eliminated ...

January 4th, 2006, 11:56 pm
Head Cheerleader

Since people want to jump every little word let me say this and leave it at that. I don't want any coach that has already had a Head Coaching Job in the NFL already ... I would like to see the Lions hire a Qualified Black Head Coach..Period.

Sorry BIGROC, but I'm going to jump on one little word again, and you can guess which word: Black.

I find the suggestion short-sighted. Personally I don't care what color skin the next Lions' head coach has. I just want the best coach available. Should the Lions refuse to hire, say, Bill Parcells just because he's white? Ridiculous!

That being said, I think it would be great for the city and surrounding 'burbs if the Lions were to hire a black head coach who enjoyed some genuine success in Detroit. What a terrific story that would make!

January 5th, 2006, 12:20 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I just don't get how the fact that they are black or hispanic is a factor or should be a factor. The players won't respond to or respect a coach if he were a former player -ala Kubiak- because he's white? It looks like you still want the good ol' boy system to me. You just want it to be the other good ol boys.

Personally I don't care, as long as they win. I've posted it before " I don't care what they do as long as they win". Black, white, yellow or purple. Interview them all and pick a winner.

January 5th, 2006, 2:11 am

If you want to be really radical, maybe they should hire a woman? The Fords already hired a GM from the media with no resume. How about one of those sexy sideline reporters. Can't you picture the locker room speech. I think that would arouse the players' interest.

January 5th, 2006, 1:49 pm

"Considering that about 70% of the players in the NFL are black...........and perhaps many of those players are upset that black men aren't hired all that frequently to coach them...........it is certainly feasible that the black coaches are HAVING SUCCESS because they can motivate and inspire their players more effectively than a guy who doesn't relate as well to them."

That is an interesting theory, but I think that Lewis has done well because he is a good coach. Owners prefer someone they can relate to. All are white still I believe, so draw your own conclusions. My guess is that a "black" or variant colored coach probably faces an additional obstacle in getting hired. In that sense, they face more scrutiny than white coaches and none of the black coaches in the NFL today got their job except by being clearly better for the position. For example, Erickson had little merit on his side and his mirror version would never have been hired, or so one would surmise.

This deviates from your point, though. Yes, there must be some cultural affinity there, but how much? Are the coaches coming from a suburban middle class or are they former NFL players with roots in the proverbial hood? Being a motivator or player's coach is an important part of your resume, but it does not guarantee your success or that you hit it off with everyone. Mooch did not get along with Harrington but had a big supporter in Bly. It is a provocative thesis, but I suspect whatever influence it has on Sunday is quite inconsequential relative to other factors.

January 5th, 2006, 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next