View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nagin 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Nagin
:shock:

Quote:
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin: God mad at America, but also at blacks

NEW ORLEANS New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin (NAY'-gin) is suggesting that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities too.

Speaking at a Martin Luther King Day event, Nagin said that King wouldn't have approved of the war in Iraq and that he would be "upset at black America" for not taking care of itself.

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina. He explained that "chocolate" represents diversity, a combination of chocolate and white milk to form what he called "a delicious drink."
Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Quote:
Nagin: God mad at America, but also at blacks
1/16/2006, 2:40 p.m. CT
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) ? Mayor Ray Nagin suggested that recent destruction from hurricanes Katrina, Rita and other natural disasters is a sign that "God is mad at America," and also mad at black communities for tearing themselves apart with violence and divisive politics.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin said as he and other city leaders commemorated Martin Luther King Day. "Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Joking that he may appear to have "post-Katrina stress disorder," Nagin, who is black, talked of an imaginary conversation with the late civil rights leader. They "talked," he said, while he was thinking Monday about what to say at the ceremony outside City Hall to kick off a walking parade in King's honor.

"I said, 'What is it going to take for us to move on and live your dream and make it a reality?' He said, 'I don't think that we need to pay attention any more as much about other folks and racists on the other side.' He said, 'The thing we need to focus on as a community ? black folks I'm talking about ? is ourselves.'"

Nagin told the crowd that he also asked, "Why is black-on-black crime such an issue? Why do our young men hate each other so much that they look their brother in the face and they will take a gun and kill him in cold blood?"

The reply, he said, was, "We as a people need to fix ourselves first."

A day earlier, gunfire had erupted at a traditional second-line walking parade to commemorate King's birthday. Three people were wounded in the shooting in broad daylight amid a throng of mostly black spectators, but police at the scene said there were no immediate suspects or even witnesses.

Nagin said King would not have worried less about those committing crimes than about the good people who knew what was right but lacked the courage to do it.

"It's time for all of us good folk to stand up and say we're tired of the violence. We're tired of black folks killing each other," Nagin said.

Nagin also recounted his disappointment with state and federal officials in the days after Katrina, wondering what King would have thought at the sight of so many people stranded at the Louisiana Superdome and the city's convention center for days after the storm, stuck in sweltering heat and lacking adequate food, water and bathrooms.

And, he said, King would have been disappointed at police in suburban and predominantly white Gretna, who turned back people who tried to walk across the Mississippi River bridge in the days after Katrina. Nagin once again accused Gretna officers of using attack dogs and machine gun fire in the air to turn people back, although Gretna officials have disputed that.

But Nagin also said King would have been dismayed with black leaders who are "most of the time tearing each other down publicly for the delight of many."

"Dr. King, if he was here today, he would be talking to us about this problem. The problem we have among ourselves," Nagin said.

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/news-22/113744454565950.xml&storylist=louisiana
http://www.wane.com/global/story.asp?s=4369389&ClientType=Printable

January 16th, 2006, 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Nagin
Quote:
Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina. He explained that "chocolate" represents diversity, a combination of chocolate and white milk to form what he called "a delicious drink."
Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I heard that and was confused as all ****. I then heard it replaced by "vanilla" and it sounded like a neo-nazi KKK type speech. It was hilarious, but I was :shock: :shock: :shock: at the same time. I'm just :? :?

January 17th, 2006, 3:22 pm
conversion02 wrote:
Quote:

I heard that and was confused as all ****. I then heard it replaced by "vanilla" and it sounded like a neo-nazi KKK type speech. It was hilarious, but I was :shock: :shock: :shock: at the same time. I'm just :? :?

Nagin is a racist jack rectum... When he referred to the New New Orleans as being a "Chocolate City" he didn't mean black and white... that's nearly every city in the US. IMO it was a staunch expression against the speculation that the city is going to be rebuilt as a predominately caucasian owned tourist attraction. Nagin was standing on his soap box forwarding the rebuilding of New Orleans as a predominately African American city, his later quasi-retraction of "chocolate is a combination of dark cocoa and white milk" is bullshit. What gets me is... people complain about the concentrations of poverty and African Americans in one single area... they also talk as if it is some sort of conspiracy that African Americans were left to the perils of danger that exist from living below sea-level.... However, now that they have the opportunitty to get out... no one wants it.

January 17th, 2006, 3:40 pm
QB Coach

Just imagine if Salt Lake City had some kind of catastrophe, and a few months later the mayor of the city gave a speech and said they were going to rebuild Salt Lake as a vanilla city. He would be forced to resign before the night arrived. But, since Nagin is black, he can say whatever he wants and face no consequences. Sad but true...

January 17th, 2006, 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]