View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 7:40 pm



Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Blacks And The Politics Of Racial Extortion 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12015
Post Blacks And The Politics Of Racial Extortion
Received this in an email and found it online. Some interesting points in here:

Fred Reed wrote:
Blacks And The Politics Of Racial Extortion

Will It Work Forever?




Oh, Lord. I'd pull my hair out, if I had more.

On the Web I find that Henry Louis Gates Jr., the chairman of Afro-American Studies at Harvard, is demanding that whites, pay reparations to blacks. It's because of slavery, see. He is joined in this endeavor by a gaggle of other professional blacks. I guess he'll send me a bill.

Huh? I feel like saying, Let me get this straight, Hank. I'm slow. Be patient. You want free money because of slavery, right?

I don't blame you. I'd like free money too.

Tell you what. I believe in justice. I'll give you a million dollars for every slave I own, and another million for every year you were a slave. Fair enough? But tell me, how many slaves do you suppose I have? In round numbers, I mean. Say to the nearest dozen. And how long were you a slave?

Oh.

In other words, I owe you reparations for something that I didn't do and didn't happen to you. That makes sense. Like lug nuts on a birthday cake.

Personally, I think you owe me reparations for things you didn't do and never happened to me. I've never been coated in Dutch chocolate and thrown from the Eiffel Tower. I'll bet you've never done it to anyone.

I want reparations.

Kinda silly, isn't it?

But if we're going to talk about reparations, that's a street that runs in two directions. You want money from me for what some other whites did to some other blacks in another century. How about you guys paying whites reparations for current expenses caused by blacks? Not long ago blacks burned down half of Los Angeles, a city in my country. Cities are expensive, Hank. Build one sometime and you'll see what I mean. Whites had to pay taxes to repair Los Angeles for you. You can send me a check.

Now, yes, I know you burned LA because you didn't like the verdict in the trial of those police officers. Well, I didn't like the verdict in the Simpson trial. But I didn't burn my house and loot Korean grocers.

Over the years blacks have burned a lot of American cities: Newark, Detroit, Watts, on and on. Now add in the fantastic cost over the years of welfare in all its forms, of large police forces and jails and security systems in department stores. I can't live in the capital city of my own country because of crime committed by blacks. Toss in the cultural cost of lowering standards in everything for the benefit of blacks.

See what I mean?

Now, I'd view things differently if you said, "Fred, blacks can't get anywhere in a modern country without education. We know that. We need better schools, smarter teachers, harder courses, books with smaller pictures and bigger words. Can you help us?"

I'd say, "Hallelujah! Hoo-ahh! Not just yes, but hell yes. Let's sell an aircraft carrier and get these folks some real schools and get them into the economic mainstream." I'd say it partly because it would be the right thing to do, and partly because I'd like to add you guys to the tax base. The current custodial state is expensive. I'd just love for blacks to study and learn to compete and stop burning places.

But is it going to happen?

You may not believe it, but I, and most whites, don't like seeing blacks as miserable and screwed up as they are. I spend a fair amount of time in the projects. Those places are ugly. It's no fun watching perfectly good kids turn into semi-literate dope dealers who barely speak English. It just plain ain't right.

But, Hank, what am I supposed to do about it? I can't do your children's homework. At some point, people have to do things for themselves, or they don't get done.

Maybe it's time.

I'll tell you what I see out in the world, Hank. I think blacks are too accustomed to getting anything they want by just demanding it. True, it has worked for over half a century. Get a few hundred people in the street, implicitly threaten to loot and burn, holler about slavery, and the Great White Cash Spigot turns on.

Thing is, whites don't much buy it any longer. Most recognize that what once was a civil-rights movement has become a shakedown game. Few people still feel responsible for the failings and inadequacies of blacks. Political correctness keeps the lid on--but everyone knows the score.

Which scares me, Hank. On one hand, blacks hate whites and incline toward looting and burning. (The whites you hate are the ones who marched in the civil-rights movement. Ever think about that?) On the other hand, whites quietly grow wearier and wearier of it. Not good.

On the third hand (allow me three hands, for rhetorical convenience) blacks keep demanding things. As I write, you demand reparations for slavery. Blacks in Oklahoma (I think it was) want money for some ancient race riot. Other blacks reject the Declaration of Independence, blacks in New York hint broadly at burning and looting over a trial, yet more demand the elimination of the Confederate flag, and the federal equal-opportunity apparatus, which means blacks, wants to sue Silicon Valley for not hiring nonexistent black engineers.

That's a lot of demanding for one month, Hank. What happens if whites ever say, "No"?

Now, how about you? You've got a cushy job up there at Harvard, and you can hoot and holler about what swine and bandits whites are. I guess it's lots of fun, and you get a salary for it. But don't you think you might do blacks more good if you told them to complain less and study more?

For example, if you want blacks to work in Silicon Gulch, the best approach might be to find some really smart black guys, and get them to study digital design, not Black Studies. That's how everybody else does it. It works. Then blacks wouldn't feel left out, and racial tension would decline. Sound like a plan?

Just out of curiosity, how many hours a week do professors of Afro-American Studies spend in the projects, encouraging poor black kids to study real subjects, Hank?

Oh

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 24th, 2006, 11:45 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
There are some comments in this article that come close to crossing a line, IMO. I don't really agree with reperations, but it is interesting that Native Americans are assisted by the government because of racist policies it used to have, but African Americans don't get anything because of the racist policies that the government used to have. I don't know why that is? (not a rhetorical question, I just don't know).


Just throwing that out there. Feel free to tear it apart.

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


January 24th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
bsand2053 wrote:
There are some comments in this article that come close to crossing a line, IMO. I don't really agree with reperations, but it is interesting that Native Americans are assisted by the government because of racist policies it used to have, but African Americans don't get anything because of the racist policies that the government used to have. I don't know why that is? (not a rhetorical question, I just don't know).


Just throwing that out there. Feel free to tear it apart.



That part is not entirely accurate.

The US Government was against slavery and went to war against a handful of Southern States that were for it. Hence the Civil War.

The American Indians were a different story.

I don't agree with reparations either but if they are due it should be paid by the Confederate States.

_________________
Image


January 24th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:

The US Government was against slavery and went to war against a handful of Southern States that were for it. Hence the Civil War.



The US government aided and abetted(sp?) slavery for 100's of years before the Civil War. The war wouldn't have happened as soon as it did if the South hadn't gotten so worried about the North's effort to keep slavery from spreading to the territories. Like Lincoln said "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."


And slavery isn't the only policies I was referring to. The Jim Crow laws affected people who are alive today. Are they due anything?

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


January 24th, 2006, 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 9:02 am
Posts: 309
Location: Oceania
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:
The US Government was against slavery and went to war against a handful of Southern States that were for it. Hence the Civil War.


Actually, the Civil War was as much (if not more) about the role of the federal government than it was about slavery.

_________________
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.." - Carl Sagan


January 24th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
So what you're both saying is,

That had there been no slavery whatsoever the Civil War would have still happened anyway.

That's your position?

_________________
Image


January 24th, 2006, 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
bsand2053 wrote:
There are some comments in this article that come close to crossing a line, IMO. I don't really agree with reperations, but it is interesting that Native Americans are assisted by the government because of racist policies it used to have, but African Americans don't get anything because of the racist policies that the government used to have. I don't know why that is? (not a rhetorical question, I just don't know).


Just throwing that out there. Feel free to tear it apart.


You've got to be kidding me... have you ever heard of affirmative action???


January 24th, 2006, 7:06 pm
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:
So what you're both saying is,

That had there been no slavery whatsoever the Civil War would have still happened anyway.

That's your position?


Personally I think there would have either been a war between the north and the south, or the creation two seperate sovereign states if there had not been slavery. The second scenario is probably more likely, but the reprehensible act of slavery seemed to cause the north to take action... at least that's how I see it. Still, the two were definitely seperated by more than the issue of slavery.


January 24th, 2006, 7:09 pm
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 9:02 am
Posts: 309
Location: Oceania
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:
So what you're both saying is,

That had there been no slavery whatsoever the Civil War would have still happened anyway.

That's your position?


My position is that the ending of slavery had a severe economic impact on the South, because it's agrarian economy depended on the cheap labor provided by slaves in order to survive. The South believed that the interest of the individual state superceded that of the federal government, and therefore the federal government did not have the right to unilaterally end slavery. Therefore, they went to war partly because of slavery, but only as it related to the role of the federal government in imposing decisions on individual states.

This same issue was raised again regarding Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which ended segregation in public education. Remember southern states trying to resist? Same issue.

_________________
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.." - Carl Sagan


January 24th, 2006, 7:10 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: November 15th, 2004, 7:24 am
Posts: 1055
Location: Alaska
Post 
Just a question. Has anyone seen the show on the History channel about Lincoln? It tackled the issue of slavery and the civil war. Lincoln was a great man in the sense of equality, but I feel he only did half of the job required. IMO, after freeing the slaves he should have offered to return each and every person to their respective countries at their request rather than set them free in a place where they would be subjected to discrimination for years to come.

As for reparations, I disagree. I do however feel that if anyone of any race feels they don't want to be here, they are free to leave. They may then find out how good things are here, even in some of the worst circumstances.


January 25th, 2006, 12:17 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Posts: 2478
Location: Michigan
Post 
I personally don't believe the history channel is "historically" accurate, they basically tell the tale the government has confirmed.

There are several issues to resolve before reperations could be considered.

The American Indians (as far as I know) were never actually paid reperations in the form of Monies taken from Europeans and given directly to tribes. They are alloted Casinos and based on the revenue of those casinos tribespeople get a cut, in whatever form that particular tribe pay's it.

The retributions were due in large part because we literally stole the land we call America, killed and in some cases exterminated tribes. It's fair to say we owed em something.

African American's on the other hand were brought to America. treated unfairly, and made to do Rich peoples bidding. (I think I read only 5 percent of early colonial Americans ever owned slaves). Reperations have been paid in some forms (like welfare, secondary education, affirmative action) and it probably from a realistic stand point is not enough.

I wrote an article on this subject in college. Slavery , as propesterous as it sounds in todays liberal world, was not an American invention, Slavery was around for thousands of years, and we were one of the first countries to NOT have slavery, it was OUR government that fought for equality, took away segregation, and gave equal right s to all americans. I do believe our forfathers were in the wrong, and African American could in some way, be given some reperations. A mule and 40 acres if you would. But not paid By us, much like casinos, volunteered by all americans.

_________________
[b]New York Giants 26 - San Fransisco 3 - CandleStick Park - Who's got it better than us???[/b]


January 25th, 2006, 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 9:02 am
Posts: 309
Location: Oceania
Post 
lionsfanak wrote:
IMO, after freeing the slaves he should have offered to return each and every person to their respective countries at their request rather than set them free in a place where they would be subjected to discrimination for years to come.


If I'm not mistaken we did. Hence the creation of Liberia. I could be wrong on that, though.

_________________
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.." - Carl Sagan


January 25th, 2006, 8:56 am
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: November 15th, 2004, 7:24 am
Posts: 1055
Location: Alaska
Post 
Ferris wrote:
I personally don't believe the history channel is "historically" accurate, they basically tell the tale the government has confirmed.



I'm sorry, but I don't get the "conspiracy theory" channel. I can only see what's presented to me in the program with no less than 5 other historians, biographers and "experts" in their field interviewed in the show. :)


January 25th, 2006, 10:01 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
LostinIA wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
So what you're both saying is,

That had there been no slavery whatsoever the Civil War would have still happened anyway.

That's your position?


My position is that the ending of slavery had a severe economic impact on the South, because it's agrarian economy depended on the cheap labor provided by slaves in order to survive. The South believed that the interest of the individual state superceded that of the federal government, and therefore the federal government did not have the right to unilaterally end slavery. Therefore, they went to war partly because of slavery, but only as it related to the role of the federal government in imposing decisions on individual states.


I spent well over an hour responding to this last night but my computer crashed just before posting and I lost it all... Image I hate it when that happens! So today you're only going to get the abbreviated version of last nights post since I no longer have the passion on the subject that I once did. That said...

This is why people hate lawyers. I ask a simple 'Yes' or 'No' question and you did everything possible to avoid the answer. The fact is (and it's even hidden in your post) had there been no slavery there would have been no Civil War.

Therefore, my original post (responding to BS2053) was accurate in that the US Government was against slavery and went to war against a handful of Southern States (the Confederacy) that were for it. You therefore cannot call the US Government racist or that the Government allowed slavery when, in fact, by entering into and winning the civil war they ended slavery.

Furthermore, as I said before, I'm opposed to reparations of any kind but if they were due - then they would be an obligation of the Confederate States and not an obligation of the Federal Government.

Additionally, the US government did not aide and abet slavery "for 100's of years before the Civil War" because the war started in 1861 and there wasn't even a country called the 'United States of America' until 4/July/1776. (The Declaration of Independence). So the country was only 85 years old when the war started.

AND, I challenge you to show me evidence that the US Government helped and encouraged (aide and abet) slavery either financially or philosophically. In fact I could argue that the slave industry proliferated as the Federal Government attempted to abolish it via political means. In other words as plantation owners suspected it would have to come to an end they paid increasing amounts to acquire as many slaves as possible as quickly as possible.

You guys make it sound as if every President from Washington to Lincoln came home of an evening and turned on CNN to watch news documentaries about slavery and declared "this is a good thing - lets finance more of it".

In the end the entire idea of reparations is absurd! AND, It's exactly the kind of nonsense that continues to put a strain on race relations in this country.


And, Yes, this is the abbreviated version. :lol:


LostinIA wrote:
lionsfanak wrote:
IMO, after freeing the slaves he should have offered to return each and every person to their respective countries at their request rather than set them free in a place where they would be subjected to discrimination for years to come.


If I'm not mistaken we did. Hence the creation of Liberia. I could be wrong on that, though.


I believe you are absolutely correct here. I remember reading about this but I don't recall the details.

lionsfanak wrote:
Ferris wrote:
I personally don't believe the history channel is "historically" accurate, they basically tell the tale the government has confirmed.



I'm sorry, but I don't get the "conspiracy theory" channel. I can only see what's presented to me in the program with no less than 5 other historians, biographers and "experts" in their field interviewed in the show. :)


LMAO!!

But that would be a fun channel. HHHMMMmmm... A new business opportunity. :-k

_________________
Image


January 25th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4918
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post 
Interesting topic...

I am extremely anti-racists...the hint of a person being racists makes me completely disregard them probably to a fault. But I think reparations are rediculous.

American Indians are not a shining example in many cases that the US Government has bettered their lives. It's like when raising children...what happens when every thing is handed to them without any effort on their part? Typically nothing good.

I have spent time and have worked in an Indian reservation in the past that was completely government sponsered. The average school kid only makes it to 8th grade in that area. The unemployment rate for adults is like the countries employement rate with maybe 5% of persons working. Kids wander around with nothing at all too and that is why the teenage and younger suicide rate was extremely high and a favorite past of kids is huffing gasoline. The last night I was there an 11 year girl hung herself in a closet with a bootlace. It actually happens so much that they have perfected a painless simple method of hanging themselves. The young kids I met were beautiful energetic fun kids but eventually they realize there is nothing for them to work towards or do as they watch their parents mill around ambitionless.

I am not saying this is the case everywhere or with everyone but if remove purpose or challenge entirely from someones life it has major consequences and they can be dire.

I am all for looking at situations ensuring that people are treated fairly...but you cannot just make up for wrongs in the past like that without some big repercussions.

You can go back throughout history and see endless amounts of people of differing race, creed, religeon have torn eachother apart and wronged one another and no group is historically blameless. Everyone that has come to America has had hard times...and all over the world people have warred and destroyed other nations of people. When do we stop apologizing and who is blameless?

The only thing we can do is going forward try to be as fair as possible and only support governements that do not discriminate.

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


January 25th, 2006, 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.