View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Next WTC 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post The Next WTC
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_ ... wahri_tape

You really get the sense they are baiting Bush personally?

Obviously the US as an open society is very vulnerable to an attack on its own soil. If these guys have shown anything in the past it is that they are methodical, resilient and do not make empty threats. Still, you have to wonder why this administration has never been serious about the AQ threat? It is scandalous how they can talk about keeping us safe when they get failing marks for implementing security reforms from the 9/11 commission, a body they fought from the very beginning not to mention any other scrutiny that revealed their bungling before 9/11.

January 31st, 2006, 3:11 am
IMO the 9/11 commission is a joke. Thier review of 9/11 and their recommendations were little more than a dog and pony show, and most of them are idiotic if not impossible.

Quote:
1. The U.S. government must identify and prioritize actual or potential terrorist sanctuaries.

That's just ridiculous and impossible... "potential terrorists sanctuaries"... I would agree with "credible terrorist sanctuaries," but "potential" is taking it a big far.

Quote:
2. Sustaining the current scale of aid to Pakistan, the United States should support Pakistan's government in its struggle against extremists with a comprehensive effort that extends from military aid to support for better education, so long as Pakistan's leaders remain willing to make difficult choices of their own.

I don't agree with nation building... if Pakistan posed some credible threat against us I could agree with aiding states that are in conflict with them, but nothing more... IMO, for the most part, we should stay out of it.

Quote:
3. Now the United States and the international community should make a long-term commitment to a secure and stable Afghanistan, in order to give the government a reasonable opportunity to improve the life of the Afghan people.

I agree with that to a point. A prosperous Afganistan is far less likely to house and have the potential to house future terrorist cells. Furthermore, they are a growing economy and it would be nice to reduce the trade deficit, even in a small manner, by exporting goods to Afganistan through friendly relations.

Quote:
4. The problems in the U.S.-Saudi relationship must be confronted, openly.

That's flat out impossible. For one, no one can really talk about the TRUE problem with Saudi Arabia because they deny it... they deny any and all terrorist activity within their boarders, and that's a flat out lie. If we did mount some evidence to the contrary and call them liars, it would destroy the relatinoship. Right now it's best to let sleeping dogs lie IMO.

Quote:
5. The U.S.government must define what the message is, what it stands for. We should offer an example of moral leadership in the world, committed to treat people humanely, abide by the rule of law, and be generous and caring to our neighbors.

I don't know what makes us the litmus test for what is and is not moral. However, I certainly don't want our culture defining such things. Not in a society of broken familys, divorces, child molestation, and rape... Personally I would be much more comfortable with the Netherlands, Switzerland, or Sweden deciding such things, as they allegedly have the highest quality of life, and seem to be much more in line with sound principles of a healthy lifestyle. Additionally... I don't believe that ANYONE should press their moral views on anyone else... individual culture should decide for themselves what is right or wrong aside from a set of universal principles regarding lying and murder...

I could go on and on about the recommendations from the 9/11 commission, but I don't think they're very plausible, and I don't think they're very feasible. I think it was a bs commission put in place to silence a number of americans that wanted an account of who was to blame for the events. Now that it's over I can't say as they've even done their job... but they did stall long enough to allow the event to pass and calm down. It shut up the majority of the complainers, and to that end, they served their purpose.

January 31st, 2006, 2:51 pm

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 004/SPORTS

February 4th, 2006, 8:20 am
Varsity Captain

First off Bush has not been perfect as far as homeland security, the U.S. borders are still poorly defended and a large number of immigrants pass through it unchecked, thats a huge problem when we talk about preventing terrorist in the U.S.

The 9/11 commission didnt do a very good job of identifying and more importantly stating clear objectives in homeland defense, however its findings maybe vague but can used as a baseline for policy discussions on the exact tactics.

Quote:
I don't agree with nation building... if Pakistan posed some credible threat against us I could agree with aiding states that are in conflict with them, but nothing more... IMO, for the most part, we should stay out of it.

I think Pakistan is a case where the U.S. government must do what ever they can to help General Musharraf, economic, education, military, and other aid, what ever is asked for by General Musharraf because the Pakistan military must go in and lay down the law in the tribal areas bordering Afganistan if we ever want to destroy the Al Quida presense in Afganistan. As has been proven by current events and intelligence alot of Al Quida forces and leadership are currently in the tribal areas of Pakistan and are using the border as protection from U.S. forces.

Thats said the U.S. role must be approved by General Musharraf, he has his own problems within Pakistan with Islamic militant forces, including a number of attempts on his life by terrorists. As shown by the recent U.S. attack on a Pakistan border town that killed a number of Al Quida leaders but Pakistan condemned the attack due to militant connected public pressure, we must be careful in dealing with Pakistan due to it being a nuclear power with a Islamic militant problem inside the country and a moderate government.

February 4th, 2006, 3:31 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060215/ap_ ... _hijackers

No wonder there was so much foot dragging on the 9/11 investigation.

February 15th, 2006, 4:09 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060215/ap_on_go_co/sept11_hijackers

No wonder there was so much foot dragging on the 9/11 investigation.

Yorick that proves nothing... There are literally thousands of individuals on FBI "watch" lists, and just because one of them was on a plane that crashed into the WTC it doesn't mean anyone dropped the ball... The govt. can't go grounding planes or diverting the travel plans of everyone that has their notice taken by the FBI... I'm sure that my name is on their list as I am a PS student and I have to research all kinds of suspect topics every semester... Does that mean a plane should be grounded every time I'm on it?... Ted Kennedy ended up on the FBI watch list for god's sake... it's more or less a joke with thousands of people on it....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 8BM1O1.DTL

Furthermore... that really isn't "new news" but rather regurgitated bullshit....

August 16, 2005
http://powerlineblog.com/archives/011369.php

The able danger program identified four of the bombers over a year before the event took place.... however, if the govt. ran around and arrested these guys before the event people would be crying about how they're over-stepping their bounds...

February 15th, 2006, 6:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]