View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 UFC 57 
Bubbles the Lion

Post UFC 57
I ordered this last night and watched it with some buddies and if your a fan of fight sports it is worth the money! I've been a fan of mixed martial arts for a while now and the best venues for that are UFC and PrideFC both of which are pretty much anything goes fights. There was a great lineup of fights, the headliner fight of Randy Couture vs. Chuck Lidell wasn't all it was cracked up to be but none the less was a good fight. The undercards were where it was at though. Brutal and bloody the way fighting should be! Here's the link to the fight card if anyones interested, it does contain the results though so don't click the link if you still plan on ordering.
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=EventDetail.fightCard&eid=146&mode=poll

Just curious if theres any other UFC fans out there and if anyone else ordered the fight last night???

boxing.gif boxing.gif

February 5th, 2006, 11:16 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

That was a terribly disappointing card last night. All in all there wasn't any really "good" fighters or fights. No good submissions (except the guy who woke up and said "I had him", what an idiot....and not a very good fighter) So, in the undercard you say that "was where it was at"...Where? I didn't see it.

February 6th, 2006, 12:02 am
Bubbles the Lion

Diaz vs Riggs was a good fight and Diaz got robbed

Babalus sumbission was pretty impressive

Brandon Vera showcased his talent and showed that he's soon deserving of a title shot

I was definitely looking forward to seeing Mir fight again, but Marcio Cruz was great. He didn't speak a lick of English, looked undefined and a little out of shape and came out and just handled Mir with some ground and pound, and Cruz is more of a submission style fighter so I'm looking forward to seeing his versatility in more fights to come.

Buentillo vs Almada was a weak fight, but they started it off right going right at each other from the start and trading some great blows in the first 1:30. Then Almada got gassed and got his mopped up.

I thought overall these fights gave me a little of everything I want to see in a UFC card. Good fight ending in a decision, a couple of submissions and some ground and pound. What more could you ask for, every fight going to decision? I want to see people get knocked out and choked out so this was definitely a good card IMO.

February 6th, 2006, 11:09 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Diaz vs Riggs was a good fight and Diaz got robbed

Babalus sumbission was pretty impressive

Brandon Vera showcased his talent and showed that he's soon deserving of a title shot

I was definitely looking forward to seeing Mir fight again, but Marcio Cruz was great. He didn't speak a lick of English, looked undefined and a little out of shape and came out and just handled Mir with some ground and pound, and Cruz is more of a submission style fighter so I'm looking forward to seeing his versatility in more fights to come.

Buentillo vs Almada was a weak fight, but they started it off right going right at each other from the start and trading some great blows in the first 1:30. Then Almada got gassed and got his mopped up.

I thought overall these fights gave me a little of everything I want to see in a UFC card. Good fight ending in a decision, a couple of submissions and some ground and pound. What more could you ask for, every fight going to decision? I want to see people get knocked out and choked out so this was definitely a good card IMO.

Diaz v. Riggs...pretty good fight. Couldn't believe 1 ref gave all 3 rounds to Riggs. Second round too close to call, could have gone either way...good fight.

Mir was a huge disappointment. I dont' think you can say that Cruz "handled him with ground and pound" at least not of his own doing. Mir wasn't in it at all. His head isn't right yet IMO. I don't think you see Cruz do anything in the Heavyweight division.

Buentello and Almada did start out right....and faded. It took Buentello a round and a half to take out a soup can. Buentello...not that good. By the end of the fight it looked like a boxing match....2 fat guys laying on each other.

Not a good card IMO. No, I don't want to see dicisions. I want to see knockouts and submissions, not just "chokeouts" but real submissions. boring fights, not much excitement overall. If you think this was a good card, more power to you, I just want more.

February 6th, 2006, 11:24 am
Site Admin

Years ago...prolly about 10ish I made the mistake of ordering a PPV UFC event on New Years eve...I loved the previous matches with Shamrock, Gracie, Dan the Beast Severen, etc...So I thought it would be a can't miss thing.

For whatever reason at my house on cable we were not set up right to do PPV...fine...we traveled elsewhere and then ordered it.

I didn't realize they were rerunning all of the previous 3s matches before they ever got to the main event of the evening...it was like 5 or 6 hours before we saw any new matches...

I did find this link to MMA stuff...pretty cool read...

http://www.zengrappling.com/History%20of%20MMA.html

February 6th, 2006, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Yea man I see where you're coming from lionsfanak, I just had a good time watching the fights I was getting pretty hype. toothy5.gif toothy5.gif I do think that Cruz is gonna start to do some dirt too, he's a jiu-jitsu fighter (from the gracie camp i believe) and he rocked Mir in the face so hard that he couldn't see out of his left eye, then he was just pounding Mir. Mir may not have been at his best but I definitely think Cruz showed some versatility and hopefully will get a bigger fight soon.

You guys like Pride or UFC more???

I think i'd have to go with Pride because its a little more brutal and I love the Japanese fans, they just get soo loud during the fights its a much better atmosphere. Although that crowd was going pretty crazy during the couture liddell fight.

Tight link Alpha!! hat36.gif notworthy.gif hat36.gif

Kazushi Sakuraba is the man!!

February 6th, 2006, 10:35 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

MM, nice pic of Sak coming over Royces' guard. I hope Royce beats Matt Hughes. I can't remember if they're fighting next month or in June. I like both UFC and Pride. Pride has some fighers that aren't known here like Krocop and Rampage Jackson (who is supposed to be in the UFC this year...just a rumor though) Fedor and Sak. I have heard that Pride is supposed to come to the U.S. this year also...we'll see. I enjoy them all Pride, UFC and Abu Dhabi, though there are no strikes, just submission. Sure do miss Boss, wish he hadn't retired.

February 6th, 2006, 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]