View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 12:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bush: Al Qaeda attack on West Coast thwarted 
Modmin Dude

Post Bush: Al Qaeda attack on West Coast thwarted
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/09/ ... index.html

CNN.com wrote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush said the U.S.-led global war on terror has "weakened and fractured" al Qaeda and allied groups, outlining as proof new details about the multinational cooperation that foiled purported terrorist plans to fly a commercial airplane into the tallest skyscraper on the West Coast.

"The terrorists are living under constant pressure and this adds to our security," Bush said. "When terrorists spend their days working to avoid death or capture, it's harder for them to plan and execute new attacks on our country. By striking the terrorists where they live, we're protecting the American homeland."

But the president said the anti-terror battle is far from over.

"The terrorists are weakened and fractured, yet they're still lethal," the president said in a speech at the National Guard Memorial Building. "We cannot let the fact that America hasn't been attacked in 4 1/2 years since September 11 lull us into the illusion that the threats to our nation have disappeared. They have not."

Los Angeles skyscraper targeted
Bush has referred to the 2002 plot before. In an address last October, he said the United States and its allies had foiled at least 10 serious plots by the al Qaeda terror network in the last four years, including plans for September 11-like attacks on both U.S. coasts. The White House initially would not give details of the plots but later released a fact sheet with a brief, and vague, description of each.

The president filled in details on Thursday.

He said that Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the September 11 attacks who was captured in 2003, had already begun planning the West Coast operation in October, just after the September 11, 2001, attacks. One of Mohammed's key planners was Hambali, the alleged operations chief of the al Qaeda related terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyah. Instead of recruiting Arab hijackers, Hambali found Southeast Asian men who would be less likely to arouse suspicion and who were sent to meet with Osama bin Laden, Bush said.

Under the plot, the hijackers were to use shoe bombs to blow open the cockpit door of a commercial jetliner, take control of the plane and crash it into the Library Tower in Los Angeles, since renamed the US Bank Tower, Bush said.

The president said the plot was derailed when a Southeast Asian nation arrested a key al Qaeda operative. Bush did not name the country or the operative.

NSA eavesdropping
Bush has been on a campaign to defend his controversial domestic monitoring program. But the White House would not say whether the 2002 plot was thwarted as a result of the National Security Agency program to eavesdrop on the international emails and phone calls of people inside the United States with suspected ties to terrorists.

Bush said only that "subsequent debriefings and other intelligence operations" after the arrest of the unnamed operative led to information about the plot, and to the capture of other ringleaders and operatives involved in it. Hambali, for instance, was captured in Thailand in 2003 and handed over to the United States.

"It took the combined efforts of several countries to break up this plot," the president said. "By working together, we took dangerous terrorists off the streets. By working together, we stopped a catastrophic attack on our homeland."

Bush's speech in October cited two other attacks inside the United States that were foiled, including one to use hijacked planes to attack the East Coast in mid-2003.

The third was the case of Jose Padilla, a former Chicago gang member who converted to Islam and allegedly plotted with top al Qaeda commanders to detonate a radioactive "dirty bomb" in a U.S. city. Padilla, whose plot never materialized, now is being held without bail in civilian custody on charges that he was part of a secret network that supported Muslim terrorists. He was arrested in May 2002 and had been held as an enemy combatant without criminal charge at a Navy brig in South Carolina until last month.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

February 9th, 2006, 12:53 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Thwarted by his wire taps of thousands of non-Arabic US peace demonstrators? I think not. Terrorist plots are thwarted all the time. Not by Bush or the cronies he puts into power (remember FIMA?), but by the competent people that have not already quit in disgust. If you read the case closely it is very clear what derailed this plot: human intel by a foreign intelligence agency, presumably Malaysia. The bait and switch is that this was defused somehow by his spying on Americans. That is not the case at all, and the reason they are fighting this so hard is because they do not want to reveal that all those "terrorists" that they were investigating were not Arab extremists at all but everyday Americans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210/ap_ ... h/cia_leak

How terrible that the intelligence establishment is leaking Bush rush for power to the public. Problem is the Bush administration has no problem leaking information on their enemies, or fabricating it, when it suits their purpose.

February 10th, 2006, 8:34 am
Modmin Dude

I don't see anywhere in the article where it says that Bush himself stopped the attacks or that his wire tapping helped either. It is just saying that attacks have been stopped.

Are you so blind in your hatred of Bush that it clouds your everyday view of the world???

February 10th, 2006, 9:10 am
Bubbles the Lion

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/390261p-330959c.html
Quote:
W claims evil plot, takes heat
Critics hit timing, substance
of Prez's comments on L.A. target

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK and KENNETH R. BAZINET
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - President Bush detailed a terrorist plot yesterday that would have used shoe bombers and a hijacked plane to knock down the tallest building on the West Coast.

The plot to strike a Los Angeles skyscraper has been mentioned before, but Bush released additional details yesterday.

The timing of his remarks and the seriousness of the plot were questioned, however, by officials ranging from the mayor of Los Angeles to counter-terrorism experts.

The President's comments come as he is under fire even by members of his own party for his domestic eavesdropping program. Bush didn't contend that the eavesdropping busted up the L.A. plot, but his remarks served as a stark reminder of the menace from terrorists.

"We now know that in October 2001, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed - the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks - had already set in motion a plan to have terrorist operatives hijack an airplane using shoe bombs to breach the cockpit door, and fly the plane into the tallest building on the West Coast," Bush said.

"We believe the intended target was [Library] Tower in Los Angeles, Calif. Rather than use Arab hijackers as he had on September the 11th, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed sought out young men from Southeast Asia, whom he believed would not arouse as much suspicion," Bush added.

The attack was foiled, he said, when a plotter was arrested in Asia.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, a Democrat, was taken aback by Bush's statements.

"I'm amazed that the President would make this [announcement] on national TV and not inform us of these details through the appropriate channels," the mayor said. "I don't expect a call from the President - but somebody."

"We should have been aware of all the details much before today," Villaraigosa said.

The White House claimed it gave California officials a heads-up about the speech.

Other Democrats, including Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), have claimed Bush is following a strategy of highlighting the terror threat to counter criticism of his eavesdropping program and of the war in Iraq.

A Clinton source yesterday questioned "the timing of the speech."

Several counterterrorism officials were surprised that Bush claimed the "West Coast plot" was "set in motion."

"There was no definitive plot. It never materialized or got past the thought stage," said a senior counterterrorism official, who has worked at the CIA and the FBI.

In June 2004, FBI Deputy Director John Pistole refused to characterize it as an advanced plot.

Bush's top counterterrorism adviser, Frances Townsend, said the critics don't "truly understand what the timeline was."

She said the West Coast plot was "blessed" in October 2001 by Osama Bin Laden, but Townsend admitted little else is known about it.

With Michael McAuliff

El Douche just trying to divert attention from his scandals...

February 10th, 2006, 9:24 am
Modmin Dude

El Douche just trying to divert attention from his scandals...

HAven't you heard??? Clinton isn't in office anymore.

February 10th, 2006, 10:36 am

"Are you so blind in your hatred of Bush that it clouds your everyday view of the world???"

The Bush-hating narrative floated by neo-con machine is a classic case of double think. There is nothing irrational about hating someone who cheats you. What is difficult to grasp is how some people are so eager to be led towards an erroneous assumption by a person who has surrounded himself with professional deceivers. Bait and hook, reel and release, it is like our democracy is some kind of trout farm or something. It will be a rude awakening when the cost of these deficits and foreign adventures becomes apparent, but I guess people were cheering Kenny Boy for a long time after the Enron scandal came out too.

February 10th, 2006, 1:00 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I'm personally willing to admit that my hate for politics in general. View of the world - what is one's view of the world?

Quote:
Most people living today have grown into adulthood without ever having known of, or seen, the hidden hands controlling their system of money, taxation, education, religion and social reform. These almost invisible strings are very well concealed, where the puppets themselves ? the politicians, religious leaders, heads of educational institutions, scientists, foundations, various think-tanks, media moguls and other officials generally held in high-esteem by the sheeple - act so incredibly convincing as to blend in perfectly with their audience. Extremely evil men of all religious and ethnic persuasions who make up the world's power-elite have cleverly cultivated a virtual pasture so beautifully grass-green that few people, seldom if ever, bother to look up from where they are grazing long enough to notice the brightly coloured tags stapled to their ears. These same people who cannot see their enslavement for the ever delicious pasture grass, have a tendency to view as insane "conspiracy theorists," those of us seeming loons who have strained hard to see past the farm and into the parlour of the feudal lordship's castle.

This is one of the worst presidenties in American History, and some of the hardest times American's have ever seen. Anyone that want's to stand up on a podium and salute Bush for his war on terrorism go ahead, I personally think it's a war on personal freedom. And while the government is invading our personal freedom's in the name of protecting us they are shrouding themselves in mystery.

February 10th, 2006, 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

"Are you so blind in your hatred of Bush that it clouds your everyday view of the world???"

The Bush-hating narrative floated by neo-con machine is a classic case of double think. There is nothing irrational about hating someone who cheats you. What is difficult to grasp is how some people are so eager to be led towards an erroneous assumption by a person who has surrounded himself with professional deceivers. Bait and hook, reel and release, it is like our democracy is some kind of trout farm or something. It will be a rude awakening when the cost of these deficits and foreign adventures becomes apparent, but I guess people were cheering Kenny Boy for a long time after the Enron scandal came out too.

Sounds like a resounding YES to me. Have a nice day. I'll come back when there is an intelligent discussion. Have a nice day. :)

February 10th, 2006, 2:54 pm
Site Admin

I don't believe Bush has an evil need to rule the world however I don't feel he has done the best job either. I think many of his misteps have been with the intention to do the right thing. I do think 911 was an extremely unsual challenge that has no presidence in the history of our country and that made it extremely challenging to deal with. I think before that he was fairly weak...but because of it he found his feet and responded intially appropriately in taking on the Taliban and Al Quada. But once that was done I think he lost his way and pursued things and agendas that were not appropriate in the name of accomplishing good. I think he truly believed in Americas ability to smite out terrorism and bring peace once and for all to the Middle East...a goal that even today his very words have changed in tone and manner. They are more interested in "curbing" terrorist activities rather than hunting down every terrorists. He most likely never realized the depth of hatred and pain that drives the terrorists...they are like a grease fire that as you swat to extinguish one flicker...4 more pop up as a result. You are only fanning the flames at that point. I also think that there are people behind the scense that have convinced him of things to further their agendas...I honestly think Bush has been trying to do his best...but no matter the politician or party...corruption is abound.

February 10th, 2006, 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Agreed Alpha. I don't blindly follow anyone. I believe in Bush as far as protecting America and right now that is my #1 concern....simply because if we aren't safe at home then everything else goes in the crapper. Let's all hope that the next election will present us with some better choices, from all parties, so that we can continue to stay safe and improve our way of life.

February 10th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Was there a Pro-Nero camp in Rome? Bush is incompetent viewed from any political perspective real or imagined. If anyone presumes that this guy is tough on terrorists I invite you to share what you think his anti-terrorist strategy is and outline what exactly 1 trillion dollars of tax payer money has accomplished? 9/11 may have been a unique event, but after the debacle in Iraq the terrorist threat facing us now is much more sinister than it was 9/12. I wish it was a matter of disagreeing about the methods of pursuing terrorism, but in truth these guys are way over their heads. I just don't get why people make excuses for such a mindless set of policies and tolerate the robbery of their pocketbooks.

February 10th, 2006, 4:11 pm
Site Admin

I just don't get why people make excuses for such a mindless set of policies and tolerate the robbery of their pocketbooks.

Hi...its because robots do not run the world is why.

Last edited by theAlphaMale on February 10th, 2006, 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

February 10th, 2006, 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Was there a Pro-Nero camp in Rome?

So now Bush is Nero??!!?? Um, yeah, OK.

You have your point of view and I have mine. I'll let you live with yours and you let me live with mine.

Have a nice day :D

February 10th, 2006, 4:33 pm
Bubbles the Lion

Kerry is a douche too... I hate the Bush regime but who's to say that the gold digger John Kerry would be doing any better :( . The last election really seemed like it was Kerry's to lose and he managed to do it by trying to emulate JFK through speech and gestures and was overall being a monotone lame who wouldn't take a stand on anything. That being said I voted Kerry! The lesser of two evils was my approach. I don't think we'd necessarily be in the same position we are now if Kerry was prez, but I think he would've ended up making some extreme dumbass moves in the Whitehouse. Screw 'em both, and we gotta stick it out with Bush. If for some reason Bush were to be removed from office via impeachment (for illegal wiretaps or torture just to name a few reasons why) Dick Cheney :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: would really screw us over. I'm pretty disgusted with the state of our country right now but we just gotta wait till 08, and pray that Hillary doesn't get the Democratic bid!

February 10th, 2006, 8:20 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Yorick wrote:
I just don't get why people make excuses for such a mindless set of policies and tolerate the robbery of their pocketbooks.

Hi...its because robots do not run the world is why.

:lol: -- None of us is as dumb as all of us... I'll have to remember that one.

The post 9/11 argument is more or less a sell out. Going after the bad guys in Afghanistan was a wonderful thing. The backdoor war into the oil rich country of Iraq was baseless. If WMD's in the wrong hands and going to incur the wrath of America.. Ummmmm.. Why in the hell didn't we invade North Korea instead? there's the real threat to our country, but I digress, there is no oil in North Korea. However we do have Iran surrounded now, and they have wmd's --- lets start another war. Im sure the powers that be in Iran have enough secrets and corruption for a distorted American view to allow our corrupt foreign policy to allow United Nation's inspectors to go in and look around.

February 11th, 2006, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next