View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 17th, 2018, 1:47 am



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Is ultimate fighting fake? 
Author Message
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: December 7th, 2005, 11:42 am
Posts: 237
Location: homosassa spings
Post Is ultimate fighting fake?
I think so. As most of you know I can be a acehole and I grew up in the hood with a bunch of other aceholes so I have seen my share of street fights. Im the same size as most of those dudes (6`210) if your a solid guy with some skill and you can get a clean shoot on someone with bare nuckels, a tight fist and follow through there face explodes. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY DAMAGE CLOSE TO WHAT YOU SE IN SOME STREET FIGHTS, IN UFC. I think they take a little off and they dont use a tight fist. This way it looks real, you still get some blood but you dont maim people. If it were all out we would see facal fracures, mass hemorhaging and guys looking like the elephant man. Does anyone disagree ?

_________________
10-6


May 5th, 2006, 4:54 pm
Profile
NFL Team Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Posts: 1589
Location: Watching Football
Post 
I disagree that it's fake, however, the Refs are quick to stop the fights now that they are sanctioned. If you watch the first 5 or 6 UFC's you will see the exact carnage you speak of. Alot of the rules changed after the buyout occurred and the new President of the UFC worked really hard to get the sport to where it is now.

It's definately not fake, just a little more controlled than a street fight where someone usually takes the sucker punch to get things rolling.

_________________
Lions Fan since King Kong was a Spider Monkey!


May 5th, 2006, 7:22 pm
Profile
Post Re: Is ultimate fighting fake?
pat wrote:
I think so. As most of you know I can be a acehole and I grew up in the hood with a bunch of other aceholes so I have seen my share of street fights. Im the same size as most of those dudes (6`210) if your a solid guy with some skill and you can get a clean shoot on someone with bare nuckels, a tight fist and follow through there face explodes. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY DAMAGE CLOSE TO WHAT YOU SE IN SOME STREET FIGHTS, IN UFC. I think they take a little off and they dont use a tight fist. This way it looks real, you still get some blood but you dont maim people. If it were all out we would see facal fracures, mass hemorhaging and guys looking like the elephant man. Does anyone disagree ?


I don't know Pat... I hear what you're saying, but what reasons do they have to fake it? And, what keeps one from blowing up the other?... It seems to me, just from "play fighting" with friends in the past... that if it's real just with semi-closed fists, and taking a little off, it wouldn't matter. It would end up being real adventually. That's how play fights usually go. One thing is for sure, if it's not real then the outcomes must be fixed too...

That said... there aren't many direct facial punches and things like that in UFC... I've seen some guys get rocked with one blow and not get up. I've seen someone's face explode, but not as bad as some of the street fights I've seen. However, these guys are real fighters, not only do they know how to throw a real punch, they know how to block one as well. My personal opinion is that it is real fighting, but I will admit there is room for speculation.


May 5th, 2006, 7:26 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: December 7th, 2005, 11:42 am
Posts: 237
Location: homosassa spings
Post 
Take a look at hockey fighters, no teeth, there face is all f***ed up and there fighting on ice where you cant get the best leverage. How many of these guys dont have teeth or have a mangled face ? Ask yourself this have you ever seen a UFC fight were one fighter could do alot more harm than hes doing ? Why would it be fixed or fake ? Im sure we can all think of a few reasons.............. Maybe Im wrong but it just seems like it would be uglier with alot more knockouts but maybe its just that alot of street fights are major mismatchs or involve drunks.

_________________
10-6


May 5th, 2006, 9:03 pm
Profile
Post 
pat wrote:
Take a look at hockey fighters, no teeth, there face is all f***ed up and there fighting on ice where you cant get the best leverage. How many of these guys dont have teeth or have a mangled face ? Ask yourself this have you ever seen a UFC fight were one fighter could do alot more harm than hes doing ? Why would it be fixed or fake ? Im sure we can all think of a few reasons.............. Maybe Im wrong but it just seems like it would be uglier with alot more knockouts but maybe its just that alot of street fights are major mismatchs or involve drunks.


If you ever played hockey you'd know that more of them are missing teeth from pucks than from fists... LoL.. and... you're wrong about the leverage thing... If you know what you're doin' you can actually use your skates to your advantage 8) - promise...


May 5th, 2006, 9:16 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
The UFC is NOT fake, trust me. I use to take martial arts lesson with several guys who were training for similar type fights. The UFC doesn't fight with bare fists, they use 4 ounces gloves. That little bit of padding can go a long way toward protecting fighters. Also, those fighters train daily so their facial muscles actually become toned so as to withstand the shots. Neck muscles are built up to be able to prevent quick knock out from the corotid artery being closed off and the nerves being shocked in the neck from taking a punch on the chin. Trained fighters keep their heads below the top of their shoulders to prevent excess turning of their heads on crosses and hooks. Also, there are methods of conditioning the skin to prevent cuts during training, as well as the addition of petroleum jelly between rounds.

Sorry to burst your bubble pat, but this ain't the WWE and it's not promoted by Don King. What you see is the real deal, no set ups or dives.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


May 5th, 2006, 11:08 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: November 15th, 2004, 7:24 am
Posts: 1055
Location: Alaska
Post 
Okay, here we go Pat. First, in a street fight as you describe, you are correct in saying that on occasion someone's face get's "blown up" and that a closed fist delivered at high velocity will do extreme damage, "on the surface" but not all of the time.

Second, these are trained fighters who are experienced in rolling with punches.

Here's where I go on to discredit the theories that you have spoken of.

First, they do not fight with BARE knuckles. They do wear gloves. What you may not see, that I have, having trained a couple of guys for UFC rules fights (the AFC here in Anchorage called the Alaska Fighting Championship which has the exact same rules as UFC) is that there are many hemorrages under the skin from the seams in the gloves. Were there not gloves, there would be more split skin. It's like getting pasted with a fastball and being able to see the seams in the skin.

Second, in the fight between Rich Franklin, the middleweight champ and Nate Quarry, Franklin knocked him out. The extent of Quarry's injuries included a fractured eye socket and sinus cavity damage. Just because there isn't any broken skin doesn't mean there is no damage. Equate it to blunt force trauma.

I will challenge you to this. If you think it is in fact fake, just enter yourself in a local event. Just find one and let them know you are an experienced "Free Style" fighter with X number of fights under your belt and they will match you with someone of similar experience. After your fight I would like to hear your opinion of the sport, as to it's legitimacy.

Regards, Lfak


May 6th, 2006, 2:21 am
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan
User avatar

Joined: October 26th, 2005, 11:48 pm
Posts: 3056
Location: Elkhart, In.
Post 
My brother is a police officer in Hillsboro, Illinois. It is the home town of Matt Hughes, the current middle weight champion. He and is twin brother train, wrestle, and work at the family farm when Matt's not training for a fight. Everything is legit, but it is like one poster said, it is more controlled. I believe it is due to the severity of the fighting. Nobody truly want's to kill anyone, and this style of fighting is much more aggressive than boxing. And if it was fake, you wouldn't see some of the broken bones from submission holds that you used to. Now they tap out more, but they used to break em.

_________________
Acts 4:13, 1 Cor. 2:1-5, Rom. 12:1-2


May 6th, 2006, 9:40 am
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded
User avatar

Joined: November 15th, 2004, 7:24 am
Posts: 1055
Location: Alaska
Post 
DevilDoc wrote:
My brother is a police officer in Hillsboro, Illinois. It is the home town of Matt Hughes, the current middle weight champion. He and is twin brother train, wrestle, and work at the family farm when Matt's not training for a fight. Everything is legit, but it is like one poster said, it is more controlled. I believe it is due to the severity of the fighting. Nobody truly want's to kill anyone, and this style of fighting is much more aggressive than boxing. And if it was fake, you wouldn't see some of the broken bones from submission holds that you used to. Now they tap out more, but they used to break em.


Hey Doc....Hughes is the welterweight champ. I met his brother last year when he came up, nice guy. They had Forrest Griffen here earlier this year, training and doing a couple of clinics. Didn't get to meet him, but those that did were impressed by his knowlege and personality.


May 6th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: December 25th, 2005, 6:19 am
Posts: 1188
Post 
THe answer is simply no it's not fake....as everyone said it is however more controlled due to the fact that if they didnt they wouldnt be allowed to have the fights. If I remember correctly at one time the UFC was Banned from holding events in the U.S because of the brutality of them but once they toned them down and had more "controlled" fights they were once again allowed to hold events here and the sport of Mixed Martial Arts started to grow in popularity with the UFC at the forefront. Dont expect them to unseed the WWE in ratings war's though.....because the truth is....as "fake" as wrestling is....the storlylines still make it far more entertaining, especially since they are actually making an effort to make it worth watching again now that the UFC and TNA are trying to compete with them (and doing a piss poor job if you look at the ratings).


May 7th, 2006, 10:17 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4920
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post 
LOL...interesting topic. I have watched and I would have to say no to it being fake as well. Many street fights result as a matter of drunkeness and thus guys who have downed 8 plus beers also have overhydrated systems and problem leads to increased bleeding.

Also I completely agree with trained fighters. You never see pro boxers swinging wildly...they put more energy into protecting themselves than the actual fighting and thus they take less damaging. The guys with wrestling backgrounds look at their ears. They have "cauliflower" ear from years and wearing head gear and rubbing the side of their heads with opponents and on the mats. Their skin becomes tougher just as if you spent the summer walking barefoot...your skin grows coarser and thicker. A softie like me would have my face probably explode if someone popped me in the nose though new_blowingup.gif

Image

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


May 8th, 2006, 8:51 am
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1476
Location: Nottingham, England
Post 
theAlphaMale wrote:
They have "cauliflower" ear from years and wearing head gear and rubbing the side of their heads with opponents and on the mats. Their skin becomes tougher just as if you spent the summer walking barefoot...your skin grows coarser and thicker.

Very minor point that I think affects little of your post, but I don't believe that cauliflower ear comes from the skin becoming tougher in the manner of a walkers foot skin becoming thicker and tougher. Cauliflower ears comes from the skin of the ear being seperated from the cartlidge in the ear and the gap inbetween being filled with fluids and the like. I think the skin remains the same thickness.


May 8th, 2006, 11:40 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 1:25 am
Posts: 4920
Location: Hills of Auburn
Post 
You're right about the ear but the point is that skin will toughen just about any where on the body with constant "use" like your face for a punching bag.

Quote:
Dermatologically, a callus is an especially toughened area of skin, which has become relatively thick and hard (or callous) as a response to repeated contact or pressure.

_________________
Regards, Alpha|Lionbacker.com \(^o^)/
"I date this girl for two years and then the nagging starts: I wanna know your name..." - Mike Binder


May 8th, 2006, 11:44 am
Profile WWW
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1476
Location: Nottingham, England
Post 
theAlphaMale wrote:
You're right about the ear but the point is that skin will toughen just about any where on the body with constant "use" like your face for a punching bag.

Quote:
Dermatologically, a callus is an especially toughened area of skin, which has become relatively thick and hard (or callous) as a response to repeated contact or pressure.
Like I said - I agreed with your main post. I mainly posted myu (minor) point as I play rugby and am always told I can get my ears sorted once my playing days are over. That thought is the only thing that stops me screaming "not the face, anything but the face" any time I go into contact :wink:


May 8th, 2006, 11:50 am
Profile
Post 
UK Lion wrote:
theAlphaMale wrote:
They have "cauliflower" ear from years and wearing head gear and rubbing the side of their heads with opponents and on the mats. Their skin becomes tougher just as if you spent the summer walking barefoot...your skin grows coarser and thicker.

Very minor point that I think affects little of your post, but I don't believe that cauliflower ear comes from the skin becoming tougher in the manner of a walkers foot skin becoming thicker and tougher. Cauliflower ears comes from the skin of the ear being seperated from the cartlidge in the ear and the gap inbetween being filled with fluids and the like. I think the skin remains the same thickness.


From what I understand UK... The cartilage can fill in the areas where it broke apart over time and replace the "fluids" that are typically there. That's what happened to my friend Greg's ear. They can't drain it anymore, it's all solid in there... He's got like a permenant cauliflower ear...


May 8th, 2006, 2:31 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.