View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 24th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Evangelicals Ruining Football Too? 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

The point of this thread was to point people to the article I first mentioned called "Going Long For Jesus". It's an interesting study of how Evangelical Christians have infiltrated professional sports in an attempt to further their own political and financial goals, much like what has happened in the government of this country, and hence "ruining football too".

The Kitna and McCown quote was to give you an example of how this affects the Lions.

LOL infultrated they have always been there both in goverment and profesianal sports if anything all thats happening is there are less of them now then before

May 14th, 2006, 10:14 pm
Pro Bowl Player

lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:
The point of this thread was to point people to the article I first mentioned called "Going Long For Jesus". It's an interesting study of how Evangelical Christians have infiltrated professional sports in an attempt to further their own political and financial goals, much like what has happened in the government of this country, and hence "ruining football too".

The Kitna and McCown quote was to give you an example of how this affects the Lions.

LOL infultrated they have always been there both in goverment and profesianal sports if anything all thats happening is there are less of them now then before

Exactamundo. They had some athiest chick on TV a while back, she said she was on a mission to remove "God" from pubic. She will sue schools about the pledge of allegiance, wants "In God We Trust" of the money.. wants God gone from everywhere but in the privacy of your own home or church.... probably wants that gone too.

May 15th, 2006, 12:23 am
Pro Bowl Player

Well I personally do not want one specific (and in my interpretation fanatical) interpretation of Christianity either in football or in government. Of course there have always been evangelicals in the US, but in the past 50 years there has been a coordinated effort to take political control in this country. Whether it's school boards, city government, or all the way up to our Evangelical-in-Chief, they've never had so much influence over the way OTHER people live their lives.

If you think it's all harmless and Christ-like, have a look at this book by a former Republican strategist:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067003486X/ref=pd_cpt_gw_1/102-7565455-6384937?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

OldSchool wrote:
Stallion wrote:
lightning_in_a_bottle wrote:

Exactamundo. They had some athiest chick on TV a while back, she said she was on a mission to remove "God" from pubic. She will sue schools about the pledge of allegiance, wants "In God We Trust" of the money.. wants God gone from everywhere but in the privacy of your own home or church.... probably wants that gone too.

May 15th, 2006, 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Well I personally do not want one specific (and in my interpretation fanatical) interpretation of Christianity either in football or in government. Of course there have always been evangelicals in the US, but in the past 50 years there has been a coordinated effort to take political control in this country. Whether it's school boards, city government, or all the way up to our Evangelical-in-Chief, they've never had so much influence over the way OTHER people live their lives.

Thank you, sorry if I dont live my life according to some 2000 year old document that has been translated and retold thousands of times. If you look around today people claim to be "prophets" "messiahs" and whatever else they want to call themselves. We see them today and think they are mentally unstable, but yet we beleive a 2000 year old document, boggles my mind.

The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30

May 16th, 2006, 7:28 am
Red Shirt Freshman

It's funny how you think that evangelicals have "infiltrated" football and government. This country was founded on people of faith. They have always been in football and the government. It's only been in the last 40 years that its become popular to pick on people of faith.

Of course they haven't stood up for themselves and now they are. That is why you see more and more people being more open about it.

Anybody that is under 25 - 30 years of age isn't use to having God talked about as the norm. If you even go back to early T.V. shows, Christ was talked about in normal conversations. (Little House on the Praire and Peanuts for example)

This is not a new movement, I just look at it as standing up for what you believe. You're doing it and its ok, but if an evangelical does it you look at them like they have no right. What a hypocrite you are!

Everybody believes in something. Whether it be God, themselves or the Earth, therefore everybody has a religion.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

May 16th, 2006, 11:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5