View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 18th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 A NEW Batwoman to Emerge... 
Hall of Fame Player

Post A NEW Batwoman to Emerge...
DC Comics Announces Batwoman out of Retirement...

AND the Closet!?

DC Comics announced that Batwoman was coming out of retirement and her new career will be starring as the first lesbian superhero. Kathy Kane, the older aunt of Batgirl will now be "a lesbian socialite" by day and a spandexed crime fighter by night.

wcsh6.com wrote:
Batwoman To Return As A Lesbian

Rhonda Erskine

First appearing in 1956 and killed off in 1979, the non-Batgirl character is one of some ethnically and sexually diverse DC Comics stars.

Comic book heroine Batwoman is to make a comeback as a "lipstick lesbian" who moonlights as a crime fighter, a DC Comics spokesman has confirmed.

Batwoman, real name Kathy Kane, will appear in 52, a year-long DC Comics publication that began this month.

In her latest incarnation, she is a rich socialite who has a romantic history with another 52 character, ex-police detective Renee Montoya.

52 will be published in the UK as a graphic novel by Titan Books in 2007. The series is set in a world in which established superheroes like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman no longer play a part.

The new-look Batwoman is just one of a wave of ethnically and sexually diverse characters entering the DC Comics universe. Others include Mexican teenager Blue Beetle, who replaces the character's previous white incarnation, and the Great Ten, a government-sponsored team of Chinese superheroes.

Regular characters Firestorm and The Atom, meanwhile, have been reinvented as black and Asian heroes respectively.

The characters are part of a wider effort to broaden the make-up of comic-book creations in line with society as a whole.

Batwoman, who first appeared in July 1956, has not been seen since September 1979 when she was killed by the League of Assassins and the Bronze Tiger.

In this illustration released by DC Comics, a revived "Batwoman" is shown as a 5-foot-10 superhero with flowing red hair, knee-high red boots with spiked heels, and a form-fitting black outfit. DC Comics is resurrecting the classic comic book character as a lesbian, unveiling the new Batwoman in July as part of an ongoing weekly series that launched this year.

:)

Why didn't they have comics like this when I was a kid?

First she kicks some badonkadonk - then she licks it. :lol:

June 1st, 2006, 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

June 1st, 2006, 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

gay...

How many people are going to buy a comic book with a lesbian.. I mean really? My guess is the lesbian superhero will have a short career.

So who here is going to buy a subscription for their kids?

June 1st, 2006, 2:20 pm
theAlphaMale wrote:
gay...

How many people are going to buy a comic book with a lesbian.. I mean really? My guess is the lesbian superhero will have a short career.

So who here is going to buy a subscription for their kids?

I want to know how her sexuality is going to play a role... I mean it's always been sort of ambiguous what a super-hero's sexual identity is... Look at Batman and Robin... There were tons of gay rumors there, but it was never announced... It was just a joke... Even the original cat-woman seemed to be super sexy and kind of flirtatious with women.. never really had a "man"... it could be inferred that there already was a gay woman superhero... I really don't see the need to announce her sexuality for any purposes than for some gay rights/gay advocate position... I find it ridiculous...

June 1st, 2006, 2:30 pm
Site Admin

also...this is already been done...

June 1st, 2006, 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Megatron

The Ambiguously Gay Duo is the name of an infamous animated sketch that debuted on The Dana Carvey Show before moving to its permanent home on Saturday Night Live. It is produced by Robert Smigel as part of the TV Funhouse series of skits. It follows the adventures of Ace and Gary, two superheroes who may or may not be gay. Ace and Gary's initials, A and G, appear on their shirts, and could also stand for "ambiguously gay".

The scenario is to some degree a parody of the comic book superheroes Batman and Robin, who in their secret identities as a rich man and his young ward have been suggested by some to be a homosexual couple. This charge was most famously leveled by Fredric Wertham in his 1954 book Seduction of the Innocent.

I see that as quite different from the BatWoman thing here.....they are admitting that she is gay, Ace and Gary never did (as far as I know)

June 1st, 2006, 3:38 pm
Hall of Fame Player

There's no question it is a gimick and a true sign of the times.

I think it's funny, if not laughable, but it makes good conversation. But I'm also sure some will classify it as 'erotic art' and that's more likely where the bigger market is.

wjb and OS ask a good questions; How are they going to use her sexuality in a comic book? Is it really something that parents are going to approve their kids reading about?

Frankly I find the Teletubbies more disturbing and ridiculous than this.

I only enjoy it because every moment represents an opportunity for women to make out. :D

June 1st, 2006, 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

It's funny how for the last 20-40 years all you heard was "quit shoving your religion down my throat"

well I'm here to say "quit shoving your depravity down my throat"

I know, I know, someone will come back and say "then don't watch it, you have a choice"

I live in this world too and to tell me something like that is hypicritical because if I said that, I'd be labeled a hater and uncompassionate.

Just speaking my mind :P :P :P :P

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

June 1st, 2006, 4:30 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

It's funny how for the last 20-40 years all you heard was "quit shoving your religion down my throat"

I know, I know, someone will come back and say "then don't watch it, you have a choice"

I live in this world too and to tell me something like that is hypicritical because if I said that, I'd be labeled a hater and uncompassionate.

I don't see it as anyone shoving depravity down your throat. Either you like lipstick lesbians or you don't. If they had a channel for lipstick lesbian heroines like they do for Christianity (TBN), I'd consider it being shoved down your throat.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

June 1st, 2006, 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

Never heard of LOGO Mineral? The channel for gay and lesbian viewers? Still its not being shoved down anyones throat because you can either watch or not watch....same with TBN, TCC, WORD or TCT (ok....too many christian tv stations, lol) hell I cant stand modern Hip-Hop culture but you dont see me complaining about MTV and BET showing it down my throat because im smart enough to know that though I may not like it they have every right to have those TV channels to support what they like. I cant stand basically any christian preacher but I dont complain about their tv shows. No one is shoving anything down your throat. Gay and Lesbians the right to their own TV stations just as much as Christians or anyone else. Even if the Church Of Satan wanted to have their own tv station they have every right to, though there would be one hell of a christian outcry even though most christians wouldnt even know that the church of satan dont worship satan nor do they believe in satan or god for that matter. My point is that it is truly pathetic for anyone to say that anything is being shoved down their throats because its in comics or on TV. If you dont like it dont buy it and dont watch it. The only poeple who can actually say that its being shoved down their throat are either A.Children who often do have the religion of their parents shoved down their throats or B.citizens of countries that do not give you a choice of religion and you must support their religion or else.

June 1st, 2006, 5:36 pm
Pro Bowl Player

PT Bruiser wrote:

I don't see it as anyone shoving depravity down your throat. Either you like lipstick lesbians or you don't. If they had a channel for lipstick lesbian heroines like they do for Christianity (TBN), I'd consider it being shoved down your throat.

Hey... to each, his own - right? I mean, some people like lipstick lesbians & other people like large phallic symbol guitars... :wink:

Rob_Shadows wrote:
Even if the Church Of Satan wanted to have their own tv station they have every right to, though there would be one hell of a christian outcry even though most christians wouldnt even know that the church of satan dont worship satan nor do they believe in satan or god for that matter. My point is that it is truly pathetic for anyone to say that anything is being shoved down their throats because its in comics or on TV. If you dont like it dont buy it and dont watch it.

Now THAT is something I'd probably watch - if only because I don't think it would be possible for it to not come off as a totally campy parody. I think it would be like a cross between Son of Svengoolie and PTL.... :lol:

June 2nd, 2006, 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]