View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 20th, 2018, 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Poison Ivy 
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Poison Ivy
Well its that time of year again. I live on 5 acres on a river - which means I live on a poison ivy plantation.

2 or 3 years ago I discovered that if I aggressively scrub a poison ivy lesion with straight bleach, it almost immediately dries up and goes away. The sooner I catch it the better. My only weakness is that when I get it around my eyes I end up having to see my family doctor for a prescription for prednisone.

Anybody got any better ideas than bleaching?

Anybody got any ideas on how to erradicate the plant from my property?

June 6th, 2006, 12:25 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Poison Ivy
TruckinMack wrote:
Well its that time of year again. I live on 5 acres on a river - which means I live on a poison ivy plantation.

2 or 3 years ago I discovered that if I aggressively scrub a poison ivy lesion with straight bleach, it almost immediately dries up and goes away. The sooner I catch it the better. My only weakness is that when I get it around my eyes I end up having to see my family doctor for a prescription for prednisone.

Anybody got any better ideas than bleaching?

Anybody got any ideas on how to erradicate the plant from my property?

1. Stop walking around barefooted or in shorts.
2. kill the plants with Roundup or Ortho Poison Ivy Killer

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/796_ivy.html

June 6th, 2006, 12:40 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

TruckinMack wrote:

To perhaps answer your question. I scrub with a cotton ball damp with bleach, not a scrub brush.

OldSchool wrote:

When you hear of my untimely death from Poison Ivy hypersensitivity, you will know that I was not one to obsequeously alter my life because of an unwanted intruder on my property.

Thanks for the hint on the Poison Ivy killer. I've been using 'Round Up' with some success. Poison Ivy is hugely aggressive. It grows everywhere and it grows fast. There is a swampy area on the west border of my property that has a very large growth of PI (size of a small car). There are thorn bushes and briars all around it so getting close enough to cut it out spray it is difficult. I would hire someone with a Bush Hog to take it out, but the ground is too wet. Evil malevolent stuff that poison ivy.

June 6th, 2006, 1:23 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Down here in Amish country they are phenomanal for using common products that won't kill/destroy the environment. Must be a "children of the corn" type thing.

Anyway, what has been recommended by an Amish man is using White Vinegar as a weed killer. Spray as you would weed killer, don't dilute it just load it up and apply it to your pesky weeds.

Let me know how it works......

Acts 4:13, 1 Cor. 2:1-5, Rom. 12:1-2

June 6th, 2006, 1:50 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

[quote="DevilDoc"]Anyway, what has been recommended by an Amish man is using White Vinegar as a weed killer. Spray as you would weed killer, don't dilute it just load it up and apply it to your pesky weeds.

Let me know how it works......

I'd rather go hunting with Vice-President Cheney, than ride in a car with Ted Kennedy!!![/quote]
That is precisely why I opened this thread, hoping to hear of alternate ways of dealing with this menace.

Will try White vinegar this evening.

Love the signature. Recently saw: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

June 6th, 2006, 2:11 pm
Pro Bowl Player

TruckinMack wrote:
TruckinMack wrote:

To perhaps answer your question. I scrub with a cotton ball damp with bleach, not a scrub brush.

OldSchool wrote:

When you hear of my untimely death from Poison Ivy hypersensitivity, you will know that I was not one to obsequeously alter my life because of an unwanted intruder on my property.

Thanks for the hint on the Poison Ivy killer. I've been using 'Round Up' with some success. Poison Ivy is hugely aggressive. It grows everywhere and it grows fast. There is a swampy area on the west border of my property that has a very large growth of PI (size of a small car). There are thorn bushes and briars all around it so getting close enough to cut it out spray it is difficult. I would hire someone with a Bush Hog to take it out, but the ground is too wet. Evil malevolent stuff that poison ivy.

I recommend buying Roundup concentrate & mixing double-strength batches to spray with a high-volume, commercial-class sprayer. I've seen it come back & back otherwise (deep roots?). I hate the stuff wth a passion.

I'm hypersensitive to it as well, and catch it now sometimes just by walking by it. In the summers in college I worked on a survey crew, and one summer we spent working in swampy land on both sides of a river. We had to clear line-of-sight shots for our instruments, and used machetes and chainsaws to cut down a lot of tree limbs and brush, including poison ivy.... I eventually inhaled some from using the chain saw, or got some into my blood stream somehow... you don't want to know what that was like.... :cry:

June 6th, 2006, 2:37 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Garlon!! oh wait, you can't get that stuff unless you are licensed.. Garlon will kill EVERYTHING.. Roundup is the next best thing..just don't spray into the water system i.e river, cheek..

June 6th, 2006, 3:56 pm
RIP Killer

The 24 yo hottie that sits in the cube across from me at work got poison ivy. She kept saying she wanted to take off her shirt and rub lotion on it. :shock:

However, I think I'm immune to ivy and oak...never got it and ran through a lot of it. Don't know what to tell ya.

June 6th, 2006, 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]