View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 18th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can Democrats take back House & Senate? 

Can Democrats take back the House and Senate
No. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Yes. 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Possible but not likely. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Can Democrats take back House & Senate? 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Can Democrats take back House & Senate?
Quote:
A former Republican congressman on Tuesday won a bitter U.S. House of Representatives race in California that was viewed as a possible early test of voter sentiment ahead of November's midterm elections.

The race had been watched closely for clues about whether President George W. Bush's dismal approval ratings were taking a toll on Republicans five months before elections that will decide control of Congress.

In the special election to replace Cunningham, Democrats hoped Busby's strong showing in the solidly Republican district could be a sign of potential trouble for Bush's Republicans in November.

Democrats need to pick up 15 House seats and six Senate seats to regain control in each chamber, giving them the power to set the legislative agenda and more effectively challenge Bush.

Last edited by RussMan on June 8th, 2006, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2006, 8:53 am
Site Admin

It will be at least much closer in both the house and senate is IMHO.

June 7th, 2006, 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

To a paraphrase a prominent Mexican politician I once taught, no, because the Republicans will cheat.

To put it simply, The Republicans will cheat because if they lose, there's going to be an unholy poop storm in Washington. Torture, spying, outing a CIA Agent, starting a phony war: proper investigation of just one of these things would bring down the Bush Administration. You really think they're going to let that happen?

June 7th, 2006, 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

Dear God, does somebody actually have to win?! Can't we just send 'em ALL home for a couple of years? I mean, really -- what harm would be done by not having those bloated aristocrats spending our money on "fact-finding" junkets to Fiji and inventing new things to legislate?

"Government which governs best is that which governs least", y'know. I say we shut down both houses of Congress for, oh, say a year -- heck, I'll take six months if I can get it.

June 7th, 2006, 10:17 am
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

Democrats just need to follow Packer's plan. If they do that Rove will be powerless against his own legacy of failure.

"Nine months ago, Inauguration Day in Washington had all the trappings of a coronation. Karl Rove, the President?s blandly smiling Richelieu, told gatherings of partisans that George W. Bush?s three-per-cent margin of victory was a mandate for the consolidation of Republican power; at bars throughout the capital, young conservatives raised toasts to years of political domination. With its majority in both Houses of Congress expanded by yet another crop of radical freshmen, the ruling party appeared poised to achieve the last remaining items on its agenda and consign the opposition to oblivion. It was hard to believe that the Democrats would ever win another election.

The Republican implosion has come with startling speed. In the normally disciplined ranks of Republican opinion-makers, Harriet Miers is reviled as a mediocrity and a squandered chance to move the Supreme Court firmly to the right for the next few decades; those Inauguration Night revellers are now tearing her and one another apart on right-wing Web sites. The conservatives? other grand objectives, in economic and foreign policy, have also failed this year: the President?s attempt to privatize Social Security went nowhere, and the ?Bush doctrine? has been so damaged in Iraq that even the American Enterprise Institute, where the idea of invading Iraq was incubated, just held a funereal conference on the war.

These policy failures coincide with a rash of legal trouble: the congressional enforcer Tom DeLay has been indicted for political money-laundering; a White House procurement official has been arrested in connection with the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal; and, as the grand-jury investigation into the Valerie Plame leak nears its end, America awaits the fate of Karl Rove. All of this, together with the cronyism and incompetence exposed by the Administration?s handling of Hurricane Katrina, has destroyed the image of a ruthlessly unified party led by a President who always wins. "

Packer Editorial

June 7th, 2006, 11:46 am
Pro Bowl Player

Democrats wouldnt know an opportunity even if it smacked them in the face. They are a disfunctional group hihjacked by far left special interest who lack a plan. Sure they may pick up some seats but based on recent performances can anyone have any confidence that they can really make hay?

We were in a recession and had Iraq as an issue last go around when they predicted they would take a lot of seats in congress and they laid and egg then.

And does anyone really want guys like Charlie Rangle, Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy, Davide Obey etc in charge of anything if the democrats got control? I know I don't.

June 7th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Could they be worse that Nero, Cheney, Rumsfeld, DeLay, Rove, Libby, Abramoff, and Corporate America? :lol:

Last time I checked, when Democrats controlled at least one branch of government our books were balanced, our economy was investing in technologies of the future, government agencies actually did their jobs, we were at peace, and policy was based on facts rather than rhetoric.

I mean, what will we have next? Will Bush appoint his dog to the senate? :lol:

June 7th, 2006, 1:20 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Could they be worse that Nero, Cheney, Rumsfeld, DeLay, Rove, Libby, Abramoff, and Corporate America? :lol:

I was referring to the house and senate those guys arent in the house and senate.

June 7th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Yorick wrote:

I was referring to the house and senate those guys arent in the house and senate.

That is a valid point, except, until recently, and then only very mildly, the Republican congress has had no will whatsover. It has carryied out everything that was dictated to it by the White House (you know the "discipline" thing). That history has made this election a referendum on Bush and makes their collective popularity track even lower than Bush's.

June 7th, 2006, 1:43 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

If the repuklicants win all the midterms Im selling everything I own and buying gold , and Im moving to Sweden . Do they show Lion games over there ?

June 7th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Not yet, but Bush buddies are cornering the market on gold. Maybe they know something their drones don't?

June 7th, 2006, 2:04 pm

"Lobbyist and former representative Brian Bilbray squeezed out a victory over Democrat Francine Busby in the heavily Republican district in San Diego County, but only after the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) spent about $5 million and the Republican National Committee (RNC) helped organize a voter turnout operation staffed by more than 150 to 200 volunteers."

"Busby barely exceeded the percentage won by Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) in the 2004 presidential race, a worrying sign to Democratic strategists looking toward November. "If we can't improve upon Kerry's numbers in these congressional districts in this climate, we've got a big problem," said one Democratic strategist, who asked not to be identified in order to give a candid assessment of the results. "Getting to the Kerry number doesn't get you anywhere close to 218."

I see it as a wash because it was a seat the Republicans had to hold, that was in their district, and they spent gazillions to keep it. I am not sure it is a bell weather because November is still a ways off and things are not going to get any better on the economy, oil, corruption, or Iraq. In another vein, how typical? The republicans run a lobbyist, the DNC clamors about the importance of the race as a "bellweather" and the democratic candidate shoots herself in the foot. Sometimes I wish I could whisper into the ear of Schumer or Dean-this is like taking candy from a baby and they really need to understand how to frame their language better.

June 7th, 2006, 2:57 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

To a paraphrase a prominent Mexican politician...

To put it simply, The Democrats will cheat because...

...that's all they got left. Can't get elected, so cheat to win. And say that the other side is really cheating. What group were actually caught and prosecuted for election fraud in 2004? That would be the 5 Dems in Southern Illinois who got caught trying to fix the election.

Speaking of Hispanics, I like the California Democrat calling for illegal aliens to help her win the election. Nice. One thing you can say about her, she is open and above board. (Like most Dems, she knows the national media will be plagued by forgetfulness when it comes to reporting her failure.)

June 7th, 2006, 3:21 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

I am not sure it is a bell weather because November is still a ways off and things are not going to get any better on the economy, oil, corruption, or Iraq.

wow, they can even predict the future

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

June 7th, 2006, 3:28 pm

Yorick wrote:
I am not sure it is a bell weather because November is still a ways off and things are not going to get any better on the economy, oil, corruption, or Iraq.

wow, they can even predict the future

:lol: Funny how you can call a blow out in the third quarter isn't it?

June 7th, 2006, 4:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next