View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 World Cup 
Modmin Dude

Post Re: World Cup
HuffPo wrote:
John Oliver Tears FIFA Apart, Calls It 'Cartoonishly Evil'
The Huffington Post | By Katla McGlynn

Posted: 06/09/2014 10:47 am EDT
Updated: 06/09/2014 11:59 am EDT

Paying no mind to the "Sausage principle" — the idea that you should never find out how something you love is made, — John Oliver pulled back the curtain on FIFA's "comically grotesque" operating principles ahead of the 2014 World Cup.

On Sunday's episode of "Last Week Tonight," Oliver explained why soccer isn't only "a religion" in just about every country other than America, but an organized religion with a corrupt, manipulative, "non-profit" organization at its head.

Watch Oliver break down FIFA's outrageous wastes of money in this year's host country Brazil, such as a $270 million stadium that will host four games before becoming, "The world's most expensive bird toilet." Oh, and it doesn't help that they're tax-exempt, too.

But it gets worse. From changing laws put in place to prevent fan deaths, to "cartoonishly evil" boardrooms and numerous corruption and bribery scandals, FIFA has done just about everything to make the World Cup a conflicting event for fans like John Oliver. But hey, that doesn't mean he isn't going to love every second of it.

Watch the full segment above.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/0 ... 73346.html

June 17th, 2014, 12:57 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Thanks Wags!

June 17th, 2014, 1:19 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

So with Germany and Ghana's 2-2 draw yesterday, the US team is through the group phase with a win vs a Portugal squad without Pepe and a hurt CR. They're the only team that can actually advance today. Many got on Klins for saying they wouldn't make it out of the group, but I think he recognizes the American spirit more than most Americans do. Yes, we always think we can win, but when you tell us we can't, we want it even more. Rex Ryan's confidence can breed confidence, but being told you can't inspires more than swagger. It makes you dig deeper to prove you can.

June 22nd, 2014, 1:03 pm
RIP Killer

Solid result but a heart breaking last few seconds. Klins never said the US wouldn't advance from the group, he said they wouldn't win the World Cup. Overall, I think he has done a very good job preparing and managing this team in general.

The US played well yesterday, much better than they did against Ghana.

They advance with a win or a tie against Germany. They advance if Portugal and Ghana tie. The US is +1 in goal difference while Portugal sits at -4, so if Portugal beats Ghana there is a 5-goal gap they have to make up against the US. Realistically now, the only way the US doesn't advance is if they lose to Germany and Ghana beats Portugal.

Go USA! Go Portugal!

June 23rd, 2014, 9:39 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
They advance with a win or a tie against Germany. They advance if Portugal and Ghana tie. The US is +1 in goal difference while Portugal sits at -4, so if Portugal beats Ghana there is a 5-goal gap they have to make up against the US

And if there is still a tie after all that, a 3 legged sack race will be held on alternating tuesdays untill a clear winner emerges :idea:

Sorry, your desciption looked complicated and it reminded me of the movie Baseketball ;)

June 23rd, 2014, 12:04 pm
RIP Killer

Complicated, really? Have you ever looked at the NFL tiebreaking rules? They could really use a 3-legged sack race...

Quote:
NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:
1.The division champion with the best record.
2.The division champion with the second-best record.
3.The division champion with the third-best record.
4.The division champion with the fourth-best record.
5.The Wild Card club with the best record.
6.The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9.Best net points in common games.
10.Best net points in all games.
11.Best net touchdowns in all games.
12.Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).
1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
9.Best net points in common games.
12.Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
1.If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2.If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
1.Head-to-head, if applicable.
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4.Strength of victory.
5.Strength of schedule.
6.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best net points in conference games.
9.Best net points in all games.
10.Best net touchdowns in all games.
11.Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1.Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2.Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
9.Best net points in conference games.
12.Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
1.Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
2.In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
3.To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
4.To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
5.To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team B are tied for first in points scored, each team is assigned a ranking of "1" in that category, and if Team C is third, its ranking will still be "3."

June 23rd, 2014, 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Building a Detroit Lions World Cup Starting 11 from projects Lions 2014 starters, going with a 4-3-3 formation

Goalie - Staff
Left Back - Slay
Center Back - Suh
Center Back - Ziggy
Right Back - Quin
Left Mid - Tate
Center Mid - Tully
Right Mid - Bush
Striker - Ebron
Striker - CJ

Built the team with power on the inside, speed on the outside and size up front for set pieces...

June 24th, 2014, 9:28 am
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:
Building a Detroit Lions World Cup Starting 11 from projects Lions 2014 starters, going with a 4-3-3 formation

Goalie - Staff
Left Back - Slay
Center Back - Suh
Center Back - Ziggy
Right Back - Quin
Left Mid - Tate
Center Mid - Tully
Right Mid - Bush
Striker - Ebron
Striker - CJ

Built the team with power on the inside, speed on the outside and size up front for set pieces...

oh what the heck, for the sake of argument, wouldnt you want CJ in goal? He has better hands, a wider wingspan and a much better jump.you could replace him with Bush and put Bell in bush's spot.

June 24th, 2014, 9:34 am
RIP Killer

LOL - I certainly considered putting CJ I goal, I really didn't have another spot for Staff however! :twisted:

BTW - US TV ratings for US/Portugal had an average of over 25M viewers on ESPN, Univision and the ESPN Watch app. Keep in mind, this isn't close to being a final and isn't even a game in the knock out stage yet...

Let's compare

World Series 14.9M (on Fox, network TV)
NBA Finals 15.5M (on ABC, network TV)
NHL Finals 1.1M (on NBC, NBCCN, MSNBC, both network and cable)
NCAA Men's BBall Final 21.2M (on CBS, network TV)
BCS Bowl Games (5 games total) 16.5M (various, primarily ESPN)

June 24th, 2014, 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I listened to my first Futball game on the radio today. All I can say is : YAAAA WE SUCK!!! BUT, WE GET TO KEEP SUCKING FOR ANOTHER GAME.

What kind of game allows you to suck for 2 out of 3 games and still advance to the next round! Oh yeah! SUCKER!

Hey team USA! It might be easier to score if 99% of the game was played anywhere but your end of the field.

It's a retarded game when the object isn't about trying to win the game.

June 26th, 2014, 7:03 pm

It's a game of strategy. If it was based solely on talent alone, Brazil would never lose. Talent helps if you can put aside ego and work as a team, but the strategy to work as a team is overall the most important part of the game. And this is why most Americans fail to get soccer. We're used to individual players shining and taking over a game.

And where do you get that they sucked for 2 out of 3 games? They beat Ghana, they played even with Portugal and lost to a perfect technical goal against Germany. All three teams were top teams in the world.

Until the US has top tier athletes that chose Soccer over Football, Basketball, and Baseball, we will continue to be just under the top countries in the world. Strategy can only overcome so much.

June 26th, 2014, 7:52 pm
Hall of Fame Player

njroar wrote:
It's a game of strategy. If it was based solely on talent alone, Brazil would never lose. Talent helps if you can put aside ego and work as a team, but the strategy to work as a team is overall the most important part of the game. And this is why most Americans fail to get soccer. We're used to individual players shining and taking over a game.

And where do you get that they sucked for 2 out of 3 games? They beat Ghana, they played even with Portugal and lost to a perfect technical goal against Germany. All three teams were top teams in the world.

Until the US has top tier athletes that chose Soccer over Football, Basketball, and Baseball, we will continue to be just under the top countries in the world. Strategy can only overcome so much.

Any strategy where you aren't trying to win the game is completely insane to me. Sorry. I tuned in with a relatively large degree of interest in soccer for the first time in my life. That performance my have put the final nail in soccer's coffin for me. If you aren't trying to win the game, what sense is there in playing? Team USA simply went into the game with the goal of playing for a tie. Try doing that in the NFL. You will get a pink slip the next day.

June 26th, 2014, 8:01 pm

The NFL does it in the preseason. Group play is similar except that the entire group stage is dependent on other factors. The US knew that Ghana had imploded in their camp with two players storming off the team, one violently attacking officials. Ghana wasn't likely to win. Portugal who got everyone back from suspension/injury would have needed to score 5 goals or the US would have had to give up 5 goals. A tie puts you up +2 vs Ghana, and +5 vs Portugal, so a tie in that case is a win. 0-1 still had us up +1 vs Ghana and +4 vs Portugal.

The round of 16 is where it counts. No more draws. Win or go home.

June 27th, 2014, 1:29 am
QB Coach

njroar wrote:
The NFL does it in the preseason. Group play is similar except that the entire group stage is dependent on other factors. The US knew that Ghana had imploded in their camp with two players storming off the team, one violently attacking officials. Ghana wasn't likely to win. Portugal who got everyone back from suspension/injury would have needed to score 5 goals or the US would have had to give up 5 goals. A tie puts you up +2 vs Ghana, and +5 vs Portugal, so a tie in that case is a win. 0-1 still had us up +1 vs Ghana and +4 vs Portugal.

The round of 16 is where it counts. No more draws. Win or go home.

Exactly. People getting all upset about this simply don't understand the rules. I'll go one step further and use another analogy for you: tuning in only to this game and using it as the reason to hate soccer would be the same as only tuning in for the final regular season game in the NFL to watch a team like, oh let's say any of the several Colts teams that had their division wrapped up before the final game, seeing them play a "lackluster" final game, and then declaring that teams don't try to win in the NFL. The reality is that the goal of the group stage is to advance through it. Just like the goal of the NFL regular season is to make the playoffs. Once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen. Think about it this way: how many times has the team with the best regular season record won the Super Bowl? In the past 10 years, it's only happened twice (last year with the Seahawks and in 2005-06 with the Steelers). Other than that, the team with the best regular season record often doesn't even make it to the Super Bowl. It's the same thing. Get into playoffs (round of 16), and then win or go home. Simple as that.

I say all this as no big soccer fan. I've gotten more into it living in England, but I still pretty much only watch Team USA and only during the World Cup. But I at least understand the rules and know how it works.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 27th, 2014, 1:56 am
RIP Killer

Wow Billy, I guess you have never watched week 16 in the NFL? I guess you have never seen a team that has clinched a playoff spot rest their starters?

Why do they do this? Same reason as the World Cup. The goal isn't to win the game, it is to win the championship. If the Lions sacrificed a game to have a better shot at the SB, I guess you would be pissed off and not watch on Super Sunday?

In the NBA, I heard that some cities got pissed when Coach Pop would basically rest all his starters to give them a day off during the season. Guess who beat the Heat in the finals... It's called strategy.

The goal of the first round of the WC is to advance. That is it. Mission accomplished, nice job team USA. From now on it is single elimination which is a whole different prospect and you need to take a different approach.

BTW - the US was coming off one less day of rest and out of the jungle (where every team that played there lost their next match) against the #2 ranked team in the World. The got the result they needed, and Americans still complain. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us.

June 27th, 2014, 8:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next