View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 27th, 2014, 10:59 am



Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 World Cup 
Author Message
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
Pablo wrote:
Wow Billy, I guess you have never watched week 16 in the NFL? I guess you have never seen a team that has clinched a playoff spot rest their starters?

Why do they do this? Same reason as the World Cup. The goal isn't to win the game, it is to win the championship. If the Lions sacrificed a game to have a better shot at the SB, I guess you would be pissed off and not watch on Super Sunday?

In the NBA, I heard that some cities got pissed when Coach Pop would basically rest all his starters to give them a day off during the season. Guess who beat the Heat in the finals... It's called strategy.

The goal of the first round of the WC is to advance. That is it. Mission accomplished, nice job team USA. From now on it is single elimination which is a whole different prospect and you need to take a different approach.

BTW - the US was coming off one less day of rest and out of the jungle (where every team that played there lost their next match) against the #2 ranked team in the World. The got the result they needed, and Americans still complain. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us.



njroar's analogy of the preseason appears to be a good 1. But, week 16? Yes, teams do rest their super stars. But, do you think for 1 second that the backups aren't trying to win and put an impressive performance on tape for other teams to see? The whole team for team USA failed to even give the illusion that they were trying. Team Germany was in the same situation as team USA. But, they gave their fans their moneys worth.


June 29th, 2014, 3:28 pm
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9395
Location: Dallas
Post Re: World Cup
rewatch the end of the game and additional time and tell me the USA wasn't trying to score...

As for the preseason analogy being a good one, I guess those guys playing in the preseason aren't trying to put an "impressive performance on tape for other teams to see"???

The objective of the group stage is to qualify for the round of 16. What you seem to have wanted was for the US to attack consistently, which would have allowed Germany to counter attack against limited number of defenders and put up 5 goals. That would have been completely stupid and knocked the team out.

Glad the younger generation understands the game and that the US can now compete against teams like Germany. Excited to see the USA vs. Belgium today!

BTW - my brother is down visiting from Michigan, took him to the bar yesterday to watch Mexico vs Netherlands and we couldn't even get in it was so packed. It wasn't even USA playing, crazy!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


July 1st, 2014, 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
Team USA could have aggressively. It is highly unlikely that they would have given up 5 goals from any level of aggressiveness.


July 1st, 2014, 9:56 am
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9395
Location: Dallas
Post Re: World Cup
BillySims wrote:
Team USA could have aggressively. It is highly unlikely that they would have given up 5 goals from any level of aggressiveness.


I guess you didn't see Germany beat Portugal 4-0? The US needed to defend with huge numbers, basically 10-men behind the ball. Look, it was a good strategy, the US made it through the group of death. They attacked at the end looking to tie it up when Germany didn't have enough time to put up 4-5 goals on them.

If the US would have needed to win, especially by a few goals, you would have seen a different approach to the game. The US could not hang "technically" with Germany, few teams have that sort of first touch control and passing. Germany would have slaughtered the US if tactically they took the approach you suggested. You then would have complained about losing 5-0 so there is no winning.

If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it... There is a reason I don't watch baseball anymore, but I'm not going to bash those that do or those that play the game. BTW - isn't being HR centric as aggressive as you can be, yet you praise small ball tactics of the new Tigers manager. Difference is, you understand baseball but are clueless in soccer. Believe me, a clueless baseball fan would prefer HRs to small ball as well...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


July 1st, 2014, 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Team USA could have aggressively. It is highly unlikely that they would have given up 5 goals from any level of aggressiveness.


I guess you didn't see Germany beat Portugal 4-0? The US needed to defend with huge numbers, basically 10-men behind the ball. Look, it was a good strategy, the US made it through the group of death. They attacked at the end looking to tie it up when Germany didn't have enough time to put up 4-5 goals on them.

If the US would have needed to win, especially by a few goals, you would have seen a different approach to the game. The US could not hang "technically" with Germany, few teams have that sort of first touch control and passing. Germany would have slaughtered the US if tactically they took the approach you suggested. You then would have complained about losing 5-0 so there is no winning.

If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it... There is a reason I don't watch baseball anymore, but I'm not going to bash those that do or those that play the game. BTW - isn't being HR centric as aggressive as you can be, yet you praise small ball tactics of the new Tigers manager. Difference is, you understand baseball but are clueless in soccer. Believe me, a clueless baseball fan would prefer HRs to small ball as well...


I am not attacking anyone for liking soccer. It is true that I don't fully understand soccer. I am a. Jhonny come lately in soccer. You have enlightened me that it is a strategy. But, it is a strategy that I find distasteful. They could have been much more aggressive early on and maybe gone up by a goal and then back away to a defensive posture. At least the US fans would have been treated to something other than an excercise of passitivity.

And swinging for home runs is not being aggressive in baseball. Any jack wagon can swing for the fences. Being aggressive in baseball is stealing bases and suicide squeezes and such. I like HR's just as much as the next guy. But, if all you do is try to hit HR's, you become pretty 1 dimmensional and pretty easy to beat. You can't trot 9 Miguel Cabreras to the plate unfortunately.


July 1st, 2014, 11:44 am
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9395
Location: Dallas
Post Re: World Cup
BillySims wrote:
It is true that I don't fully understand soccer.


BillySims wrote:
And swinging for home runs is not being aggressive in baseball. Any jack wagon can swing for the fences.


You've proven my point. I'm don't believe you know aggressive tactics from non-aggressive tactics in soccer. You can seem to play non-attacking soccer, yet be very aggressive on counter attacks for example. To a non-fan, they don't understand.

In baseball, you can play small ball and still be very aggressive - same in soccer, you just don't understand the tactics, runs off the ball, formation shifts, etc. Therefore it isn't pleasing to your "follow the ball" eyes and you are equating basic possession or shot totals as being aggressive, like one might equate swinging for the fences in baseball. Now, how smart would it be to try to hit an HR with every pitch as a strategy to win a baseball game?

BTW - you can also play "aggressive" defensively or on defense in soccer, just like football, basketball or even baseball for that matter.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


July 1st, 2014, 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3124
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: World Cup
BillySims wrote:
I am not attacking anyone for liking soccer. It is true that I don't fully understand soccer. I am a. Jhonny come lately in soccer. You have enlightened me that it is a strategy. But, it is a strategy that I find distasteful. They could have been much more aggressive early on and maybe gone up by a goal and then back away to a defensive posture. At least the US fans would have been treated to something other than an excercise of passitivity.

And swinging for home runs is not being aggressive in baseball. Any jack wagon can swing for the fences. Being aggressive in baseball is stealing bases and suicide squeezes and such. I like HR's just as much as the next guy. But, if all you do is try to hit HR's, you become pretty 1 dimmensional and pretty easy to beat. You can't trot 9 Miguel Cabreras to the plate unfortunately.

So you admit that you don't know much about the game, yet you still claim to know which strategy may have worked better? A bit contradictory no?

Regardless, what you're advocating simply doesn't work if you're not the more talented team. There's a reason teams that don't have huge talent advantages don't go on the attack. A good comparison is hockey. Think back to the 90's Red Wings teams. They were super talented and were a possession, attacking team. Contrast that with the NJ Devils (who the Wings faced in the 1995 Cup Finals). Detroit was a huge favorite, but NJ played a really smart, defensive style that stifled with Wings chances, and NJ won the cup. If NJ had played an attacking style, it would have opened up their defense and most likely the Wings would have picked them apart. It was smart of them to play defensive, just as it was smart of the US to play defensive the other night. It's all about playing to your strengths.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


July 1st, 2014, 12:48 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
I did not make any claim that team USA BE MORE AGGRESSIVE BY SWINGING FOR THE FENCES. I did not make any baseball analogy to soccer. You did. I simply replied to your baseball analogy.

Edited to add:

I never once made any claim from any stance of knowledge of the game of soccer. If you think I did, that was your assumption. And it was wrong.

Regardless of the merits of the strategy, it was not very entertaining to listen to unless you were a fan of the German team who had the same situation as team USA. Glad they didn't take the same strategy. Or the ball would still be setting at mid field waiting for someone to take some initiative. LOL


July 1st, 2014, 3:39 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
Well, until team USA got down 2-0, that game sounded a heck of a lot like the Germany game. Once they got desperate, they finally took the game to the other side of the field and got a goal. Tim Howard should sue for lack of support. How many shots is 1 goalie expected to defense before his teams offense wakes up?


July 1st, 2014, 8:12 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
Easiest job in sports: Goal tender for any team playing team USA.


July 1st, 2014, 9:38 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3124
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: World Cup
I don't think anyone who watched the game can honestly say the US didn't try. They absolutely did. The reality is they were simply outclassed. That game was an illustration of how far the US still has to go compared to the rest of the world. Good effort from the team, especially Howard (he was amazing), but a long way to go to be up there with the elite teams. It's not an effort issue. It's a skill issue.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


July 2nd, 2014, 6:59 am
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9395
Location: Dallas
Post Re: World Cup
BillySims wrote:
Well, until team USA got down 2-0, that game sounded a heck of a lot like the Germany game. Once they got desperate, they finally took the game to the other side of the field and got a goal. Tim Howard should sue for lack of support. How many shots is 1 goalie expected to defense before his teams offense wakes up?


Actually the USA was in a very aggressive 4-3-3 formation, you saw the result. Belgium had 5 in the midfield and they totally controlled the game. The more aggressive the US got, the more it looked like Belgium would score as the game opened up.

Timmy Howard was amazing. Wondo had the game on his foot right before the end of regulation and Demsey had a great chance to tie it at the end of the extra time.

All 8 of the teams that won their groups advanced in the round of 16. Class eventually wins out, as it did. Congrats to Belgium, they have a world class goalie and some of the best defenders in the World - Kompany is a beast. Their midfield is excellent. If they had Benteke up front, they would really be scary.

Quote:
Easiest job in sports: Goal tender for any team playing team USA.


Really? The US is the only team to score on Belgium so far in the run of play (there has been one PK goal scored against them as the only goal until Green put it in).

So, the US did what Russia, Algeria and South Korea couldn't do on offense. BTW - defensively, only the US was able to shut them out for 90 minutes as well.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


July 2nd, 2014, 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I don't think anyone who watched the game can honestly say the US didn't try. They absolutely did. The reality is they were simply outclassed. That game was an illustration of how far the US still has to go compared to the rest of the world. Good effort from the team, especially Howard (he was amazing), but a long way to go to be up there with the elite teams. It's not an effort issue. It's a skill issue.


I drive truck for a living. If the wheels ain't turning, I ain't earning. I had to listen on the radio. So, I can only go on the way it sounded according to the announcers. But, I agree. At least the effort was there last night.


July 2nd, 2014, 9:45 am
Profile
Online
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9395
Location: Dallas
Post Re: World Cup
So you are judging games your really don't understand based on what you are hearing on the radio since you didn't actually watch the game? Suddenly it all is starting to come together! :wink:

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


July 2nd, 2014, 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7289
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: World Cup
Pablo wrote:
So you are judging games your really don't understand based on what you are hearing on the radio since you didn't actually watch the game? Suddenly it all is starting to come together! :wink:


Uhhhhhh, my very first post on this subject, I said I LISTENED TO THE GAME. And now this is news to you?


July 2nd, 2014, 11:46 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.