View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 10:49 am



Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 lions hire new assistant to coach 
Author Message
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: July 23rd, 2009, 3:30 pm
Posts: 237
Post lions hire new assistant to coach
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/articl ... cfe39c17de

he Detroit Lions announced today that they have added Brandon Fisher as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff. Fisher spent part of the 2010 season helping the Tennessee Titans’ offensive coaching staff.

Fisher was a standout linebacker at the University of Montana where he played in 54 games (30 starts) and finished with 169 career tackles. As a senior, he was a second team All-Big Sky Conference pick and helped lead the Grizzlies to a 14-1 record with their only loss being to Villanova (23-21) in the Football Championship Subdivision title game. Fisher began his collegiate career as a safety, but began the transition to linebacker in 2008.

Is this a move to bring in Jeff?


May 26th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
dmudd wrote:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Head-Coach-Jim-Schwartz-adds-Brandon-Fisher-to-Defensive-Staff/1a8dfe06-8a1d-417d-a8b9-d3cfe39c17de

he Detroit Lions announced today that they have added Brandon Fisher as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff. Fisher spent part of the 2010 season helping the Tennessee Titans’ offensive coaching staff.

Fisher was a standout linebacker at the University of Montana where he played in 54 games (30 starts) and finished with 169 career tackles. As a senior, he was a second team All-Big Sky Conference pick and helped lead the Grizzlies to a 14-1 record with their only loss being to Villanova (23-21) in the Football Championship Subdivision title game. Fisher began his collegiate career as a safety, but began the transition to linebacker in 2008.

Is this a move to bring in Jeff?


I don't think so with a defensive head coach and Gunther Cunningham in the fold and coaches for each level of the defense (DL, LB, DB) already in place.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


May 26th, 2011, 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: July 23rd, 2009, 3:30 pm
Posts: 237
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
Just found this

UPDATE: As Dave Birkett pointed out on Twitter, Fisher fills the void on the coaching staff created when assistant secondary coach Daron Roberts left for West Virginia back in March


May 26th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7443
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
Pablo wrote:
dmudd wrote:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Head-Coach-Jim-Schwartz-adds-Brandon-Fisher-to-Defensive-Staff/1a8dfe06-8a1d-417d-a8b9-d3cfe39c17de

he Detroit Lions announced today that they have added Brandon Fisher as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff. Fisher spent part of the 2010 season helping the Tennessee Titans’ offensive coaching staff.

Fisher was a standout linebacker at the University of Montana where he played in 54 games (30 starts) and finished with 169 career tackles. As a senior, he was a second team All-Big Sky Conference pick and helped lead the Grizzlies to a 14-1 record with their only loss being to Villanova (23-21) in the Football Championship Subdivision title game. Fisher began his collegiate career as a safety, but began the transition to linebacker in 2008.

Is this a move to bring in Jeff?


I don't think so with a defensive head coach and Gunther Cunningham in the fold and coaches for each level of the defense (DL, LB, DB) already in place.


It could be to set up a future move to bring in Jeff. Gunny is getting up there in age. How many more years will he continue coaching? Also, If one of defensive coaches move on to the college ranks or to a promotion with another NFL team next year, we could bring him in.


May 27th, 2011, 7:22 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
Quite possibly billy

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... etroi.html
Quote:
ALLEN PARK - At first blush, the Detroit Lions hiring of Brandon Fisher "as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff'' is a curious one.

The timing of the announcement is puzzling because while teams around the league, including the Lions, are forcing two-week furloughs on their employees and slashing other salaries up to 25 percent, the Lions made a hire and added a salary.

The Lions lost assistant defensive backs coach Daron Roberts in the off-season (he took a job at West Virginia), but the Lions didn't appear to specify what Fisher would be doing.

Well, first, it turns out that Fisher has been the Lions' staff for months and the Lions are just now making the announcement. Why? Because the Lions like to guard every piece of information like the security of the free world hangs in the balance. (Ask me again why the Lions won't let the cameras from HBO's "Hard Knocks'' into their facility.)

Also, while Fisher will likely be assisting defensive backs coach Tim Walton a good deal, Fisher was not hired as an assistant coach. Rather, as the Lions statement says, he was hired as an assistant TO the staff, not an assistant ON the staff. There's a difference.

Regardless, this is the Fisher's first paid coaching gig in the NFL. The son of former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher, Brandon was brought into the Titans organization last year on a voluntary basis after offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger fell ill.

According to reports out of Tennessee, Jeff Fisher wanted to hire his son on a full-time basis, but owner Bud Adams - who has strong feelings against nepotism - rejected it. It is suggested (but not confirmed) that rift helped spur Jeff Fisher's surprising decision to leave the Titans.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


May 27th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Profile
Varsity Benchwarmer

Joined: July 23rd, 2009, 3:30 pm
Posts: 237
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
conversion02 wrote:
Quite possibly billy

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... etroi.html
Quote:
ALLEN PARK - At first blush, the Detroit Lions hiring of Brandon Fisher "as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff'' is a curious one.

The timing of the announcement is puzzling because while teams around the league, including the Lions, are forcing two-week furloughs on their employees and slashing other salaries up to 25 percent, the Lions made a hire and added a salary.

The Lions lost assistant defensive backs coach Daron Roberts in the off-season (he took a job at West Virginia), but the Lions didn't appear to specify what Fisher would be doing.

Well, first, it turns out that Fisher has been the Lions' staff for months and the Lions are just now making the announcement. Why? Because the Lions like to guard every piece of information like the security of the free world hangs in the balance. (Ask me again why the Lions won't let the cameras from HBO's "Hard Knocks'' into their facility.)

Also, while Fisher will likely be assisting defensive backs coach Tim Walton a good deal, Fisher was not hired as an assistant coach. Rather, as the Lions statement says, he was hired as an assistant TO the staff, not an assistant ON the staff. There's a difference.

Regardless, this is the Fisher's first paid coaching gig in the NFL. The son of former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher, Brandon was brought into the Titans organization last year on a voluntary basis after offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger fell ill.

According to reports out of Tennessee, Jeff Fisher wanted to hire his son on a full-time basis, but owner Bud Adams - who has strong feelings against nepotism - rejected it. It is suggested (but not confirmed) that rift helped spur Jeff Fisher's surprising decision to leave the Titans.


just beat me to it i was goona post the same thing!


May 27th, 2011, 1:27 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2010, 9:24 pm
Posts: 583
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
jeff fisher is a head coach, and that is what he will be as soon as he comes back to football. the lions have no plans for jeff fisher they are happy with jim schwartz.


May 27th, 2011, 6:33 pm
Profile
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.


May 27th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Stadium Announcer
User avatar

Joined: May 14th, 2010, 8:38 am
Posts: 68
Location: Dublin,Ireland
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.



:roll: ](*,) :roll:


May 28th, 2011, 8:54 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.


While I agree that Schwartz has made mistakes, the idea of moving on to a new head coach now would have poor results, particularly in the lockerroom. The team has started to build bonds and they have, I believe, an affinity with the coaching staff.

Besides which, you are focusing solely on what Schwartz has done wrong, and not on the multitude of things he's done right. Sorry, but if the Lions were to pull another Millen stunt by firing Schwartz to get a more "established" coach in the form of Fisher, I'd be beyond pissed off.

vankman79 wrote:
jeff fisher is a head coach, and that is what he will be as soon as he comes back to football. the lions have no plans for jeff fisher they are happy with jim schwartz.


Scott Linehan was a head coach, so was Gunner at one time. So was Mike Tice, Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, Mike Martz, etc., etc. Just having been a HC prior doesn't mean that you automatically stay at that position. While I agree that Fisher would have a strong shot of being hired as a HC in 2012 if he doesn't take a lesser post in 2011, there's no guarantee of that. I'm sure if Gunner decided to retire at the end of 2011 and Fisher was available, he'd strongly consider the Lions open DC spot.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 28th, 2011, 10:02 am
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: September 5th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Posts: 726
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
Firing Schwartz and putting Fisher in would be a Millen move, I thought this organization has moved pass those types of actions. Schwartz probably has a working relationship with Fisher's kid and that is why they hired him.

_________________
"When you eat crow, if you put barbecue on it, it's not so bad."-Brady Hoke


May 28th, 2011, 11:14 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
I don't think this has anything to do with Jeff Fisher as a coach. Its just a son using his father's connections to get an inside track to becoming an NFL coach. Jim Schwartz had a great relationship with Fisher and I bet he is doing the Fisher family a little favor. The position seems like its no different than someone getting a paid internship minus the college credits.


May 28th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Profile
All State
User avatar

Joined: December 12th, 2008, 1:42 am
Posts: 354
Location: Michiana
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
It would be foolish to replace Schwartz at this point. Changing over HCs and coordinators every 3 years (or less for coordinators) is largely part of what contributed to the mess that was an 0-16 team. GREAT franchises have continuity with their coaching staff and it allows the players to learn and become adept in their system. If the players have to re-learn the whole offense or defense every year it definitely puts them at a disadvantage.

IMO as long as the team is experiencing forward growth, then we should keep this coaching staff. If they start see-sawing up and down in a few years having 9-7 then 5-11 then 11-5 seasons, then you move on. Half the reason Millen was doing this was to save his own butt.

_________________
Same Old Lions, just a different year....


May 28th, 2011, 5:12 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2010, 9:24 pm
Posts: 583
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.


While I agree that Schwartz has made mistakes, the idea of moving on to a new head coach now would have poor results, particularly in the lockerroom. The team has started to build bonds and they have, I believe, an affinity with the coaching staff.

Besides which, you are focusing solely on what Schwartz has done wrong, and not on the multitude of things he's done right. Sorry, but if the Lions were to pull another Millen stunt by firing Schwartz to get a more "established" coach in the form of Fisher, I'd be beyond pissed off.

vankman79 wrote:
jeff fisher is a head coach, and that is what he will be as soon as he comes back to football. the lions have no plans for jeff fisher they are happy with jim schwartz.


Scott Linehan was a head coach, so was Gunner at one time. So was Mike Tice, Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, Mike Martz, etc., etc. Just having been a HC prior doesn't mean that you automatically stay at that position. While I agree that Fisher would have a strong shot of being hired as a HC in 2012 if he doesn't take a lesser post in 2011, there's no guarantee of that. I'm sure if Gunner decided to retire at the end of 2011 and Fisher was available, he'd strongly consider the Lions open DC spot.


were scott and gun head coaches? really, i didnt think that anybody noticed since they were just coaches for a second or 2. fisher is not gonna consider a coordinator job with anybody when he is getting 4 or 5 offers to be a head coach someplace else. your list of coordinators is full of piss poor coaches that sucked at their jobs. they are all coordinators not head coaches. fisher is gonna be one of the highest sought after head coaches on the market, so your probably right, im sure that fisher would consider being our defensive coordinator. lol
hat36.gif hey man, pass me some of that good sh!t


May 30th, 2011, 7:25 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
well in all fairness if we offered him enough money he just might. It's a lower stress job, workin with guys he already knows he likes. If the money's right why not be a D coordinator?

Odds are he'll go back to being a HC, but lets not act like going to a coordinator position is the same liklihood as getting probed by aliens!

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


May 31st, 2011, 9:27 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.