View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 lions hire new assistant to coach 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post lions hire new assistant to coach
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/articl ... cfe39c17de

he Detroit Lions announced today that they have added Brandon Fisher as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff. Fisher spent part of the 2010 season helping the Tennessee Titans’ offensive coaching staff.

Fisher was a standout linebacker at the University of Montana where he played in 54 games (30 starts) and finished with 169 career tackles. As a senior, he was a second team All-Big Sky Conference pick and helped lead the Grizzlies to a 14-1 record with their only loss being to Villanova (23-21) in the Football Championship Subdivision title game. Fisher began his collegiate career as a safety, but began the transition to linebacker in 2008.

Is this a move to bring in Jeff?

May 26th, 2011, 2:20 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: lions hire new assistant to coach
dmudd wrote:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Head-Coach-Jim-Schwartz-adds-Brandon-Fisher-to-Defensive-Staff/1a8dfe06-8a1d-417d-a8b9-d3cfe39c17de

he Detroit Lions announced today that they have added Brandon Fisher as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff. Fisher spent part of the 2010 season helping the Tennessee Titans’ offensive coaching staff.

Fisher was a standout linebacker at the University of Montana where he played in 54 games (30 starts) and finished with 169 career tackles. As a senior, he was a second team All-Big Sky Conference pick and helped lead the Grizzlies to a 14-1 record with their only loss being to Villanova (23-21) in the Football Championship Subdivision title game. Fisher began his collegiate career as a safety, but began the transition to linebacker in 2008.

I don't think so with a defensive head coach and Gunther Cunningham in the fold and coaches for each level of the defense (DL, LB, DB) already in place.

May 26th, 2011, 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Just found this

UPDATE: As Dave Birkett pointed out on Twitter, Fisher fills the void on the coaching staff created when assistant secondary coach Daron Roberts left for West Virginia back in March

May 26th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pablo wrote:
dmudd wrote:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Head-Coach-Jim-Schwartz-adds-Brandon-Fisher-to-Defensive-Staff/1a8dfe06-8a1d-417d-a8b9-d3cfe39c17de

I don't think so with a defensive head coach and Gunther Cunningham in the fold and coaches for each level of the defense (DL, LB, DB) already in place.

It could be to set up a future move to bring in Jeff. Gunny is getting up there in age. How many more years will he continue coaching? Also, If one of defensive coaches move on to the college ranks or to a promotion with another NFL team next year, we could bring him in.

May 27th, 2011, 7:22 am
RIP Killer

Quite possibly billy

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... etroi.html
Quote:
ALLEN PARK - At first blush, the Detroit Lions hiring of Brandon Fisher "as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff'' is a curious one.

The timing of the announcement is puzzling because while teams around the league, including the Lions, are forcing two-week furloughs on their employees and slashing other salaries up to 25 percent, the Lions made a hire and added a salary.

The Lions lost assistant defensive backs coach Daron Roberts in the off-season (he took a job at West Virginia), but the Lions didn't appear to specify what Fisher would be doing.

Well, first, it turns out that Fisher has been the Lions' staff for months and the Lions are just now making the announcement. Why? Because the Lions like to guard every piece of information like the security of the free world hangs in the balance. (Ask me again why the Lions won't let the cameras from HBO's "Hard Knocks'' into their facility.)

Also, while Fisher will likely be assisting defensive backs coach Tim Walton a good deal, Fisher was not hired as an assistant coach. Rather, as the Lions statement says, he was hired as an assistant TO the staff, not an assistant ON the staff. There's a difference.

Regardless, this is the Fisher's first paid coaching gig in the NFL. The son of former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher, Brandon was brought into the Titans organization last year on a voluntary basis after offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger fell ill.

According to reports out of Tennessee, Jeff Fisher wanted to hire his son on a full-time basis, but owner Bud Adams - who has strong feelings against nepotism - rejected it. It is suggested (but not confirmed) that rift helped spur Jeff Fisher's surprising decision to leave the Titans.

May 27th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

conversion02 wrote:
Quite possibly billy

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... etroi.html
Quote:
ALLEN PARK - At first blush, the Detroit Lions hiring of Brandon Fisher "as an assistant to the defensive coaching staff'' is a curious one.

The timing of the announcement is puzzling because while teams around the league, including the Lions, are forcing two-week furloughs on their employees and slashing other salaries up to 25 percent, the Lions made a hire and added a salary.

The Lions lost assistant defensive backs coach Daron Roberts in the off-season (he took a job at West Virginia), but the Lions didn't appear to specify what Fisher would be doing.

Well, first, it turns out that Fisher has been the Lions' staff for months and the Lions are just now making the announcement. Why? Because the Lions like to guard every piece of information like the security of the free world hangs in the balance. (Ask me again why the Lions won't let the cameras from HBO's "Hard Knocks'' into their facility.)

Also, while Fisher will likely be assisting defensive backs coach Tim Walton a good deal, Fisher was not hired as an assistant coach. Rather, as the Lions statement says, he was hired as an assistant TO the staff, not an assistant ON the staff. There's a difference.

Regardless, this is the Fisher's first paid coaching gig in the NFL. The son of former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher, Brandon was brought into the Titans organization last year on a voluntary basis after offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger fell ill.

According to reports out of Tennessee, Jeff Fisher wanted to hire his son on a full-time basis, but owner Bud Adams - who has strong feelings against nepotism - rejected it. It is suggested (but not confirmed) that rift helped spur Jeff Fisher's surprising decision to leave the Titans.

just beat me to it i was goona post the same thing!

May 27th, 2011, 1:27 pm
Div 1 - Starter

jeff fisher is a head coach, and that is what he will be as soon as he comes back to football. the lions have no plans for jeff fisher they are happy with jim schwartz.

May 27th, 2011, 6:33 pm
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.

May 27th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Stadium Announcer

wjb21ndtown wrote:

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.

:roll: ](*,) :roll:

May 28th, 2011, 8:54 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:

While I agree that Schwartz has made mistakes, the idea of moving on to a new head coach now would have poor results, particularly in the lockerroom. The team has started to build bonds and they have, I believe, an affinity with the coaching staff.

Besides which, you are focusing solely on what Schwartz has done wrong, and not on the multitude of things he's done right. Sorry, but if the Lions were to pull another Millen stunt by firing Schwartz to get a more "established" coach in the form of Fisher, I'd be beyond pissed off.

vankman79 wrote:
jeff fisher is a head coach, and that is what he will be as soon as he comes back to football. the lions have no plans for jeff fisher they are happy with jim schwartz.

Scott Linehan was a head coach, so was Gunner at one time. So was Mike Tice, Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, Mike Martz, etc., etc. Just having been a HC prior doesn't mean that you automatically stay at that position. While I agree that Fisher would have a strong shot of being hired as a HC in 2012 if he doesn't take a lesser post in 2011, there's no guarantee of that. I'm sure if Gunner decided to retire at the end of 2011 and Fisher was available, he'd strongly consider the Lions open DC spot.

May 28th, 2011, 10:02 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Firing Schwartz and putting Fisher in would be a Millen move, I thought this organization has moved pass those types of actions. Schwartz probably has a working relationship with Fisher's kid and that is why they hired him.

May 28th, 2011, 11:14 am
NFL Veteran

I don't think this has anything to do with Jeff Fisher as a coach. Its just a son using his father's connections to get an inside track to becoming an NFL coach. Jim Schwartz had a great relationship with Fisher and I bet he is doing the Fisher family a little favor. The position seems like its no different than someone getting a paid internship minus the college credits.

May 28th, 2011, 3:46 pm
All State

It would be foolish to replace Schwartz at this point. Changing over HCs and coordinators every 3 years (or less for coordinators) is largely part of what contributed to the mess that was an 0-16 team. GREAT franchises have continuity with their coaching staff and it allows the players to learn and become adept in their system. If the players have to re-learn the whole offense or defense every year it definitely puts them at a disadvantage.

IMO as long as the team is experiencing forward growth, then we should keep this coaching staff. If they start see-sawing up and down in a few years having 9-7 then 5-11 then 11-5 seasons, then you move on. Half the reason Millen was doing this was to save his own butt.

May 28th, 2011, 5:12 pm
Div 1 - Starter

m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

While I agree that Schwartz has made mistakes, the idea of moving on to a new head coach now would have poor results, particularly in the lockerroom. The team has started to build bonds and they have, I believe, an affinity with the coaching staff.

Besides which, you are focusing solely on what Schwartz has done wrong, and not on the multitude of things he's done right. Sorry, but if the Lions were to pull another Millen stunt by firing Schwartz to get a more "established" coach in the form of Fisher, I'd be beyond pissed off.

vankman79 wrote:

Scott Linehan was a head coach, so was Gunner at one time. So was Mike Tice, Wade Phillips, Rod Marinelli, Mike Martz, etc., etc. Just having been a HC prior doesn't mean that you automatically stay at that position. While I agree that Fisher would have a strong shot of being hired as a HC in 2012 if he doesn't take a lesser post in 2011, there's no guarantee of that. I'm sure if Gunner decided to retire at the end of 2011 and Fisher was available, he'd strongly consider the Lions open DC spot.

were scott and gun head coaches? really, i didnt think that anybody noticed since they were just coaches for a second or 2. fisher is not gonna consider a coordinator job with anybody when he is getting 4 or 5 offers to be a head coach someplace else. your list of coordinators is full of piss poor coaches that sucked at their jobs. they are all coordinators not head coaches. fisher is gonna be one of the highest sought after head coaches on the market, so your probably right, im sure that fisher would consider being our defensive coordinator. lol
hat36.gif hey man, pass me some of that good sh!t

May 30th, 2011, 7:25 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

well in all fairness if we offered him enough money he just might. It's a lower stress job, workin with guys he already knows he likes. If the money's right why not be a D coordinator?

Odds are he'll go back to being a HC, but lets not act like going to a coordinator position is the same liklihood as getting probed by aliens!

May 31st, 2011, 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next