HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

lions hire new assistant to coach
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14639
Page 2 of 2

Author:  vankman79 [ May 31st, 2011, 11:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

all im trying to say is that i am willing to bet that we will sign peyton manning to be our qb before we hire jeff fisher to be our defensive coordinator. neither is ever gonna happen so why talk about it. the only reason jeff fisher didnt take another coaching job this year imo is because he knew the lockout was coming and didnt want to start with a new team with a short off season. i wouldnt believe that detroit has any interest in jeff fisher. personally i believe jim schwartz did jeff fisher a favor by hiring his son and i believe thats all there is to it.

Author:  slybri19 [ June 1st, 2011, 12:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

IMO, Jeff Fisher will not be the next HC or DC of the Detroit Lions. Mayhew seems to love Schwartz and will stick with him, while I can't see Fisher accepting a DC position anywhere. He will be a HC somewhere next year. This is just an example of Scwartz hiring someone he's familiar with and giving him a chance. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on to join Jeff on his coaching staff after the season.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ November 19th, 2012, 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.



You guys still think I'm nuts for wanting to look for an upgrade LAST YEAR, when I TOLD YOU GUYS that these problems would surface?

:idea: :arrow:

Author:  Pablo [ November 19th, 2012, 5:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.



You guys still think I'm nuts for wanting to look for an upgrade LAST YEAR, when I TOLD YOU GUYS that these problems would surface?

:idea: :arrow:


I DO still think you are NUTS for wanting to change coaches LAST YEAR. You don't fire a coach who takes a 0-16 team and takes them to 2-14 to 6-10 to 10-6! Imagine how the fan base would respond after letting Schwartz go after living through the Mornhinweg to Marinelli years. Seriously WJB, that was not an option despite your crystal ball.

Many of us knew this team still had flaws (some at the coaching level) and would have a very hard time returning to the playoffs this year. But lets just throw in the towel on the head coach at this point. Hell, the QB has taken a step backwards as well so lets return to the days of Harrington and Kitna...

Coaches learn on the job (as do QBs). I'm not giving up on Schwartz yet because of a few bumps in the road.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ November 19th, 2012, 6:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.



You guys still think I'm nuts for wanting to look for an upgrade LAST YEAR, when I TOLD YOU GUYS that these problems would surface?

:idea: :arrow:


I DO still think you are NUTS for wanting to change coaches LAST YEAR. You don't fire a coach who takes a 0-16 team and takes them to 2-14 to 6-10 to 10-6! Imagine how the fan base would respond after letting Schwartz go after living through the Mornhinweg to Marinelli years. Seriously WJB, that was not an option despite your crystal ball.

Many of us knew this team still had flaws (some at the coaching level) and would have a very hard time returning to the playoffs this year. But lets just throw in the towel on the head coach at this point. Hell, the QB has taken a step backwards as well so lets return to the days of Harrington and Kitna...

Coaches learn on the job (as do QBs). I'm not giving up on Schwartz yet because of a few bumps in the road.


I never said fire him last year. I just said that we should start looking for a different coach, and I said that I WOULD have looked at Jeff Fisher last offseason. I stand by that. Jeff Fisher is twice the coach that Jim Schwartz is, period.

Look at my Jeff Fisher>Jim Schwartz post, where people said I'm nuts.

Author:  m2karateman [ November 19th, 2012, 6:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.



You guys still think I'm nuts for wanting to look for an upgrade LAST YEAR, when I TOLD YOU GUYS that these problems would surface?

:idea: :arrow:


I DO still think you are NUTS for wanting to change coaches LAST YEAR. You don't fire a coach who takes a 0-16 team and takes them to 2-14 to 6-10 to 10-6! Imagine how the fan base would respond after letting Schwartz go after living through the Mornhinweg to Marinelli years. Seriously WJB, that was not an option despite your crystal ball.

Many of us knew this team still had flaws (some at the coaching level) and would have a very hard time returning to the playoffs this year. But lets just throw in the towel on the head coach at this point. Hell, the QB has taken a step backwards as well so lets return to the days of Harrington and Kitna...

Coaches learn on the job (as do QBs). I'm not giving up on Schwartz yet because of a few bumps in the road.


I never said fire him last year. I just said that we should start looking for a different coach, and I said that I WOULD have looked at Jeff Fisher last offseason. I stand by that. Jeff Fisher is twice the coach that Jim Schwartz is, period.

Look at my Jeff Fisher>Jim Schwartz post, where people said I'm nuts.


You don't look for a head coach unless you have intentions of hiring him. Simply because you didn't say fire Schwartz doesn't mean you weren't in some way implying it. What were the Lions supposed to do? Contact Jeff Fisher and ask him if he was interested in the Lions coaching job? You don't think Schwartz (and the rest of anyone in Allen Park) would have eventually heard about that?

You look, you find, you hire. You don't window shop for coaches in the NFL.

Author:  wjb21ndtown [ November 19th, 2012, 7:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
IMO Jeff Fisher > Jim Schwartz

I haven't been completely let down by Schwartz. I think he has been the best we have had in a long time, but he is still making rookie HC mistakes. His game management isn't even good, let alone great, and sometimes he seems to lose himself in play calling (he has admitted to not knowing that players didn't receive touches, and/or looks). I like what he has done, but I wouldn't mind moving on if it is an upgrade.



You guys still think I'm nuts for wanting to look for an upgrade LAST YEAR, when I TOLD YOU GUYS that these problems would surface?

:idea: :arrow:


I DO still think you are NUTS for wanting to change coaches LAST YEAR. You don't fire a coach who takes a 0-16 team and takes them to 2-14 to 6-10 to 10-6! Imagine how the fan base would respond after letting Schwartz go after living through the Mornhinweg to Marinelli years. Seriously WJB, that was not an option despite your crystal ball.

Many of us knew this team still had flaws (some at the coaching level) and would have a very hard time returning to the playoffs this year. But lets just throw in the towel on the head coach at this point. Hell, the QB has taken a step backwards as well so lets return to the days of Harrington and Kitna...

Coaches learn on the job (as do QBs). I'm not giving up on Schwartz yet because of a few bumps in the road.


I never said fire him last year. I just said that we should start looking for a different coach, and I said that I WOULD have looked at Jeff Fisher last offseason. I stand by that. Jeff Fisher is twice the coach that Jim Schwartz is, period.

Look at my Jeff Fisher>Jim Schwartz post, where people said I'm nuts.


You don't look for a head coach unless you have intentions of hiring him. Simply because you didn't say fire Schwartz doesn't mean you weren't in some way implying it. What were the Lions supposed to do? Contact Jeff Fisher and ask him if he was interested in the Lions coaching job? You don't think Schwartz (and the rest of anyone in Allen Park) would have eventually heard about that?

You look, you find, you hire. You don't window shop for coaches in the NFL.


That's fine. I would have LOVED to have hired him. When I said "look at him," I meant HIRE him. I would have much rather had Fisher here, and the St. Louis game proved it to me.

Pablo says or implied that I wanted to fire him during the season last year. I didn't, but I did want to "look" and hire after the season was over.

My thesis for the entire year last year was "Jim Schwartz was an improvement over what we've had in recent years, but I don't think he's the guy to get us there." I said repeatedly that I like that he's gotten us out of the basement, but I attributed him to Doug Collins and we now need our Larry Brown. I warned LAST YEAR that we would have discipline issues, and... here they are... False starts, off-sides and malcontents all around...

Author:  conversion02 [ November 19th, 2012, 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: lions hire new assistant to coach

Schwartz problem is his loyalty to his staff. When he dumps linehan and gunny, the team will be much better. The stale, predictable offense is linehan, not Schwartz. The predictable, defensible wide 9 vanilla defense that rarely blitzes is gunny, not Schwartz. He hires these very experienced guys that were far from the top of the list, rather, the top of the garbage heap, and he lets them do their thing.

I would love to have fisher, but he's not the future. He's not our bellichick. I was hoping Schwartz would be, but where's the fire, the passion from last year? When linehan calls 2 runs and a 3rd down pass where there's clear defensive PI, where's the yelling? Why is he not reaming the refs on that play? Why is he not reaming linehan? Sending scheffler 40 yards downfield and CJ 10 yards deep on a 4th and long for the game? Inexcusable. The fact that Jefferson hard to voice his opinion shows that he's losing the staff. What about the players?

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/