View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 9:49 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dream Defensive Coordinator 
Modmin Dude

Post Dream Defensive Coordinator
Are you tired of Gun? Think he doesn't use the talent effectively? Well, then let us know who would be your 'Dream Defensive Coordinator' and why?

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 5th, 2012, 4:00 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Dream Defensive Coordinator
Dream Defensive Coordinator: Mike Singletary. He didnt pan out as a head coach but he helped build a great defense in SF. Harbaugh has been able to do wonders with the offense and putting the team in better chances to succeed with better executive decisions during games. Still Singletary can keep with this teams attitude aggressive but still demand the highest level of effort and most importantly discipline. With KVB possibly on his way out, Singletary would be a good addition.

December 5th, 2012, 6:53 pm
League MVP

The Legend wrote:
Dream Defensive Coordinator: Mike Singletary. He didnt pan out as a head coach but he helped build a great defense in SF. Harbaugh has been able to do wonders with the offense and putting the team in better chances to succeed with better executive decisions during games. Still Singletary can keep with this teams attitude aggressive but still demand the highest level of effort and most importantly discipline. With KVB possibly on his way out, Singletary would be a good addition.

I could live with that!

December 5th, 2012, 7:35 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I could live with that!

Me too. Would that mean switching to a 3-4 though?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 5th, 2012, 9:39 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Pettine declines contract extension with Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2012, 9:27 AM EST

Add defensive coordinator Mike Pettine’s name to the list of Jets employees who may be looking to leave.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Pettine has turned down an offer to extend his contract. Absent a new deal, Pettine will become a free agent after the season.

The Jets have a top-10 defense this year, despite having a bottom-two offense.

Unless Pettine is holding out for more money, it’s possible that he has grown weary of laboring in the shadow of coach Rex Ryan, who gets most of the credit for the performance of the team’s defense.

Like the contract of Saints coach Sean Payton, the specific expiration date of Pettine’s deal could become a key factor. If the deal doesn’t end until, say, January 31 and if the Jets opt not to release him before then, Pettine could miss out on other opportunities.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... with-jets/
Any thoughts on Pettine? I don't know much about him.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

December 21st, 2012, 10:53 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Worth a look. I'd at least interview the guy and see what he thinks he can do with the talent the Lions have at this time.

NEVER GIVE UP!

December 21st, 2012, 1:10 pm
Junior Varsity

With the talent we have on D we have under achieved more than I could have imagined. They've allowed opponents 4.6 yards per carry this season, tied for the fifth-highest mark in the NFL and have allowed 3.0 yards per carry before first contact, the fourth-highest total in the NFL.

Just awful!

December 21st, 2012, 9:52 pm
Team MVP

WestCoastLionsFan wrote:
With the talent we have on D we have under achieved more than I could have imagined. They've allowed opponents 4.6 yards per carry this season, tied for the fifth-highest mark in the NFL and have allowed 3.0 yards per carry before first contact, the fourth-highest total in the NFL.

Just awful!

Yet, some on here STILL want to go OT in the draft.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

December 21st, 2012, 11:20 pm
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Just awful!

Thats a good statistic but wins-losses is a more important statistic. the offense has caused more losses and contributed less in the wins. I cant say for sure what I want them to draft in round 1 but I know that they will be in position to have a shot at a premier LT like Joeckel or Lewan - either of which appear to be better than any OT thats been on the roster since Lomas Brown. I think its a very real possibility. The defense needs some help too, especially if Houston and Avril are lost. Regardless the Lions cant solve all of their problems with just a first round pick alone.

December 22nd, 2012, 8:04 am
Team MVP

The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Just awful!

Thats a good statistic but wins-losses is a more important statistic. the offense has caused more losses and contributed less in the wins. I cant say for sure what I want them to draft in round 1 but I know that they will be in position to have a shot at a premier LT like Joeckel or Lewan - either of which appear to be better than any OT thats been on the roster since Lomas Brown. I think its a very real possibility. The defense needs some help too, especially if Houston and Avril are lost. Regardless the Lions cant solve all of their problems with just a first round pick alone.

Agree. It is best they trade down.

December 22nd, 2012, 1:41 pm
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Just awful!

I don't think he's saying that it's best that we trade down, at all. I don't get that out of his post at all. He may feel that way, but we're not going to solve all of our problems in the draft period, even if we did trade down, multiple times.

Last year we drafted Reiff (depth player that didn't start), Broyles (depth player that didn't start), Bently (depth player that didn't start) , etc. WE NEED STARTERS.

Last year YOU GUYS said that "we're set WJB, we HAVE starters, we need depth, this is what good teams do..." Well guess what? You guys were dead wrong. WE NEED STARTERS.

If we have a shot at a premier LT, we take him, period. Since Martz was our coordinator he said "that offense is two OTs away from being great," and he meant it and he was right.

December 22nd, 2012, 2:19 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Just awful!

I don't think he's saying that it's best that we trade down, at all. I don't get that out of his post at all. He may feel that way, but we're not going to solve all of our problems in the draft period, even if we did trade down, multiple times.

Last year we drafted Reiff (depth player that didn't start), Broyles (depth player that didn't start), Bently (depth player that didn't start) , etc. WE NEED STARTERS.

Last year YOU GUYS said that "we're set WJB, we HAVE starters, we need depth, this is what good teams do..." Well guess what? You guys were dead wrong. WE NEED STARTERS.

If we have a shot at a premier LT, we take him, period. Since Martz was our coordinator he said "that offense is two OTs away from being great," and he meant it and he was right.

Wow you sure like to critique other guys posts.

Let me re-write it.

I agree Legend.

IMO, I think its best we trade down. Which IMO, we still can land starters. You dont have to pick Top 5 to get starters. Heck, you dont need 1st rounders to get a starter. If we trade down, we can get multiple players and HOPEFULLY, multiple starters. IMO (once again), I think we should trade down, take Jonothan Banks.

December 22nd, 2012, 3:31 pm
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
WestCoastLionsFan wrote:

Just awful!

Wow you sure like to critique other guys posts.

Let me re-write it.

I agree Legend.

IMO, I think its best we trade down. Which IMO, we still can land starters. You dont have to pick Top 5 to get starters. Heck, you dont need 1st rounders to get a starter. If we trade down, we can get multiple players and HOPEFULLY, multiple starters. IMO (once again), I think we should trade down, take Jonothan Banks.

Really? Unbelievable. I simply question whether or not Legend agrees with or desires a trade down and you get defensive about someone "criticizing" your 7 word post?

This site is going to sh!t.

I love how last year the mentality on here was "we're drafting depth because we're set with starters, and good teams don't start rookies anyhow" (which is false, btw), but now that the "board think" (play on "group think") or "collective logic" on here, if you can even call it logic, the mentality has completely reversed.

If you can draft "starters" in rounds 2 and 3 than Mayhew should be fired immediately. We got a "project" backup and situational run blocker out of our first rounder last year, and you guys praised him for it, congratulations.

December 22nd, 2012, 4:14 pm
Team MVP

Yup guys, how do we sleep at night.

December 22nd, 2012, 4:53 pm
League MVP

Both of your posts were accurate. I was not insinuating anything about trading down. Im not opposed to it but I d hate that they pass up on a legit LT prospect to move down and take "lesser" players like Milliner and Banks just for the sake of "value" - and then blow those extra picks later on. The point was, we cant focus on just on one pick and overlook the bigger picture. There are multiple needs as the roster stands today. There are going to be more when the season ends and Free Agency starts. Pretty much anything they pick is going to be a need outside of a 1st rd QB. Even if they took a 1st rd DT and used that as a way to move to a 3-4 D, it would probably save them 15 mill in DE money. They need to land good players wherever they can - all rounds of the draft, free agency, trades. This isnt the Falcons of a few years ago where they threw all the chips in to land Julio Jones. There isnt one need because there are few strengths. The drafts of 2011 and 2012 dont make much sense to me - they need to do better and they need to have a plan and above all they need to land good players. I dont buy the BPA story thats being spun bc the players we ve been getting quite frankly, dont seem to be worth much and that they seem to follow a pattern of certain positions being valued more highly than others.

Switching gears, I think the Front Office is also making a strange move by not clarifying offseason plans with the coaching staff. When the team is sitting at 4-8 and is out of playoff contention you would think the last 4 weeks would be used to see whats left on the roster. Why arent guys on the OL like Fox, Reiff, and Hilliard that could all be cheaper alternatives to Backus, Peterman, Cherilus or some combination thereof getting a look? Why dont we see more of Palmer, Whitehead and T Lewis at LB with Durant and Levy hitting FA? R. Lewis at DE? The only experimentation I ve seen has been w this guy Chapas at FB and street players in the secondary and at WR but thats bc of injuries not voluntary experimentation. What does this mean? I dont know but the options are 1) there is very little confidence in the younger, cheaper players that are riding the pine - the ones that might make the impeding FA doom manageable, 2) the front office has no intention of replacing the older veterans on the roster or 3) the coordinators and head coach are all coaching for their jobs and dont want to risk putting out an inferior product. Im just not convinced the Lions are looking into their own future instead functioning oblivious to their current record (why arent they rolling the dice on 4th and 1 from the 2 down by 8 in the 4th or practicing 2 minute drill at the end of 1st halves?) and impending free agency (not playing the potential diamonds in the rough?).

December 23rd, 2012, 12:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next