View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 6:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 2013 Free Agents 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: 2013 Free Agents
The Legend wrote:
Free Agency:

QB - Id like to see a better No 3 than Kellen Moore bc probably cant afford Shaun Hill too much longer but probably dont look for this player in FA.

RB - There is a very real need to have better runners. Reggie Bush and Felix Jones are speedier backs than what we have. Bush will probably cost more but will still only be 28 years old. Felix Jones I think has similar talent but probably will cost less and at 25 is younger than Joique Bell. Steven Jackson is also a UFA but at age 30 and a heavy career workload he might only have a year or so left in the tank. LaRod Stevens Howlings could help as a KR but probably wouldnt be as useful in the run game.

WR - Not a ton available but some decent players given. WR is a suddenly huge need for us with Burleson and Broyles recovery from big injuries, Young probably a goner from the team and Mike Thomas appearing pretty ineffective. Brandon Gibson, Devery Henderson could be decent fits. Danarrio Alexander is probably a lil too injury prone, same with Danny Amendola and they might be pricier given that they ve had some huge games. Greg Jennings coming off injury is a UFA but what will his price tag be. Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace - pipe dreams.

TE - Martellus Bennet and Dallas Clark probably the best two that might be available but I dont think the Lions consider a move here.

P - Andy Lee is a free agent and one of the best in the game. Nick Harris was good for several weeks but he s again showing his real colors the past 2 games.

OT - Reiff looks like he steps in as the LT though he s been pretty suspect in pass protection. Cherilus is a FA so the Lions might consider other options in house w Backus, Hilliard, or Fox. FA available include Branden Albert and Sebastian Vollmer that could be considered upgrades over Backus. I wouldnt mind seeing them put Reiff on the right side and go after Albert to play LT. Backus is getting around 5 mill on his current deal while Cherilus is getting over 2 million. That could give them space to make a play for Albert but I doubt this front office will make any major move with the OL given its recent history of failing to do so. Jake Long is a UFA also but he s already making over 11 mill/yr so I doubt we could land him. Demar Dotson, Tampa Bay, might be a darkhorse candidate but I doubt Tampa lets him go.

OG - Levitre from Buffalo would be a good addition but Buffalo has been talking about re signing him for several months now. I dont see a whole lot else at G that would be upgrades over Peterman. Looks to me like Peterman plays the last year of his deal which means its time the Lions draft a guard and try to develop a replacement.

C - Raiola has another year on his deal. He s getting paid pretty well and Im not sure he s worth his contract. Still his play hasnt declined despite getting into his 30s. I doubt Mayhew would be inclined to make a move at this point. Todd McClure may be available but he s older than Raiola and IMO he s a downgrade. Maybe he could save them a few dollars. Expect no change here but again, we re going to need to draft someone there soon or be forced into giving Dom a couple more years. Maybe we just pray it could be at a lower price.

DE - KVB to me looks like he s done as a starter and that was several weeks ago. That fact plus Avril being a FA means this position is a huge need. LoJack still shows some flashes this season so he could be an inhouse candidate but he s probably not good enough to rely on as a starter at a premier position for Schwartz scheme. Willie Young has showed nothing this season. Im sure everyone would be all for Avril if he could be signed at a Chris Clemons like price of $7 mill/yr but it looks like Mayhew is willing to go above that but maybe not as high as Avril wants. Losing Avril would be a big loss, he ll be 27 to start next season, is home grown and has been very good 3 years in a row now. Free Agents available like Osi Umenyiora (31yo), Israel Idonije (32 yo), Michael Bennet (27 yo) should all be attractive to the Lions.

LB - Levy, Durant are both UFA. Lions will have to re sign one of them. Do they have a viable starter among backups Ashlee Palmer, Whitehead, Travis Lewis, Carmen Messina? I dont think the Lions will be players here except for maybe their own Free Agents. Otherwise they will try to fill this internally and I could see them with a mid round pick to throw into the mix as well. Thomas Howard coming off an ACL injury, Will Witherspoon, Bradie James, Erin Henderson, Leroy Hill, Phillip Wheeler are all possible starters available in FA.

CB - Clearly they are in trouble here. Chris Houston is good not great but they are going to be in a big hole if they dont re sign him. There isnt a player that has proven to be a No 2 this season. Jonte Green was thrown into the fire a bit, he s played good enough to keep while on his rookie contract but he s not a starter. Bill Bentley was a lil better than Green but has missed a lot of time. Greenwood got nothing accomplished this offseason so he s the wildcard. This may be a spot where we take a high draft pick but there a lot of holes and only one 1st rd pick. The Lions will have to at least consider : Cary WIlliams, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Tracy Porter and maybe even older players like Marcus Trufant or Rashean Mathis.

S - Maybe they could sign an older corner and move him to safey ie Trufant, Mathis or Jammer. Goldson from SF is probably the best player available but other guys might be Kenny Phillips or Kerry Rhoades.

IMO Cary Williams would be a great pickup if he gets paid the right price (no more than $4.5 million a year). Just a guy who can play cornerback exceptional at most times, but of course slacks at other times. Overall he's definitely good enough to trust as a starter. Baltimore already has L. Webb and Jimmy Smith, I'm sure they won't overpay for a player who'll likely spend lots of time in the nickel once Jimmy Smith gets better over time.

Goldson was asking for big money this past offseason, I believe. Unless we magically get $20 million+ of cap space this offseason, I don't think he'd be smartly affordable. Mathis at safety doesn't sound bad to me.

December 11th, 2012, 4:28 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: 2013 Free Agents
regularjoe12 wrote:
not to beat RB to death but Mendenhall should become availale. He's apearantly healthy but been benched in favor of the guys who played all season. what if we can get him cheap?

I understand what youre saying, but he is injury prone too.

Id rather have a speed back if anything just to change things up or have a speed threat out there now that Best is pretty much out of the picture now.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

December 11th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2