View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Detroit Lions, Salary Cap Trouble? 
Post Re: Detroit Lions, Salary Cap Trouble?
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
Pablo wrote:
MLive wrote:
"I thought (Lions president) Tom (Lewand) did a great job renegotiating some contracts. Obviously, getting Calvin done (reworking his contract) was a big accomplishment for us, and we freed up a little bit of room, but it's just enough room really to operate and get our own guys back. This year will be somewhat similar."

If that means what I think it means, here comes 4-6 wins again next year.

Exactly... Kick the can down the road, keep this "core" together, and never get better. It doesn't make sense.

Again, we could have added REAL talent in last years offseason, but we sat on our hands. We should have dumped Corey Williams who will now likely re-sign for less because of his injury (and who knows how effective he will be) or go somewhere else entirely. We should have dumped Nate B instead of kicking the can down the road and making it cost prohibitive to cut him this year. We should have had a real approach to get Peterman's $3 million off of the books (really? we couldn't even upgrade Peterman in FA?)... Are people starting to see why I liked Kontz over Broyles so much? Starting OG last year, starting OC next year, $5 million in cap savings in two years... That's real money folks...

Mayhew needs to go.

Uhh...dont pat yourself on the back yet again WJB, and I know you love to do that...but almost all of us were really high on Konz and wanted the Lions to draft him, possibly in the first even.

There was still this mentality that we NEEDED to keep Corey Williams, that he was GOOD for this team (at $5 million dollars!), and that we NEEDED to keep Nate (which cost us $6 million, $3 million last year and $3 million next year), even when people thought that Titus was a stud. I wanted to dump both, get an upgrade at WR, and sign a CB. Can I get a pat on the back now? You tryin to tell me that if we spent $8 million at CB and WR that we would have sucked this bad? And I'm pretty confident that we could have at least got a 2013 5th for Corey.

That's $16 million in cap savings on three guys. Granted they would have been replaced with players, but they would be players that would be contributing in 2013 and 2014 at reasonable cost.

January 4th, 2013, 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2