View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Stafford's Contract Extention 
RIP Killer

Post Stafford's Contract Extention
Interesting take...

Freep wrote:
Why Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford doesn't deserve a huge contract

Matthew Stafford does not deserve to become the NFL’s first $25-million-per-year player.

According to Bart Scott -- a CBS analyst, former NFL player and Detroit native -- and many others, that’s exactly what the Detroit Lions should make their star quarterback.

“He’s earned it,” Scott told the Free Press this week.

But what exactly has Stafford earned? Scott defended his opinion by saying that Stafford should be the NFL’s MVP. He said Stafford is a leader and, without him, the Lions wouldn’t have won a game.

The fact is Stafford hasn’t earned anything near this kind of money. He’s 0-3 in the playoffs. When the games mattered most down the stretch -- the final three games of this regular season, when the Lions had a chance to start exorcising the ghost of Bobby Layne -- Stafford fell flat. He threw two touchdowns and three interceptions in double-digit losses.

The Lions backed into the playoffs — thanks to the choking Washington Redskins — and then Stafford completed 56% of his passes in a 26-6 thrashing by the Seattle Seahawks.

Hey, I’m starting to see what Scott is talking about. Pay that man!

Sure, Stafford was hurt at the end of the season, so some of his ineptitude is understandable. There tends to be a significant recency bias when it comes to athlete contracts, which is insane. You shouldn’t judge a player only by what he has done at the end of a season or even over one season.
But how does Stafford’s career shape up? He is 51-58, has made one Pro Bowl, as an alternate and has three winning records in seven nearly full seasons.

He also has gotten one head coach and staff fired, one offensive coordinator fired, almost another head coach fired, a general manager and team president fired, and he was benched in 2015. Pay that man!

The truth is that Stafford’s legacy is muddied. Yes, the guy has ability, a bionic arm and a sharp mind. But if the Lions were a franchise that had a history of good or even better-than-average quarterbacks, Stafford probably would be held to a higher standard by fans, media and the organization.

When your team’s last Pro Bowl quarterback came during the Nixon administration, a dude who can throw the ball hard looks pretty dang good to a lot of people.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that I happen to like Stafford on a personal and professional level. He’s not aloof, as some players are, and he’s usually willing to make small talk at his locker. He grew up with pitcher Clayton Kershaw, and I grew up a Los Angeles Dodgers fan, so we sometimes chat about him. I was pestering Stafford during the baseball season to see whether he would go to the World Series in Cleveland if the Dodgers advanced. I secretly was hoping to bum a ride because I can only assume that Stafford has a Ferrari hovercraft.

Mostly, I think Stafford has been a good professional. He has been criticized by fans and media and hasn’t lashed out nor become sullen -- or even passive aggressive -- with reporters. He has done charitable work in Detroit and has kept out of trouble. He also has improved his footwork and mechanics. He has shown great toughness in a game that demands psychotic levels of it, and he has added some effective mobility to his game. He has become a better player. He has become a very good player.

But that doesn’t mean he deserves the richest contract in NFL history. I don’t even think he deserves an extension yet, unless he’s willing to give the Lions a massive discount. Stafford turns 29 next month and has a finger injury that everyone assumes will heal just fine, even though no one really knows. If 2016 has taught us anything, it’s that nothing is predictable.

Stafford should play out the final year of his deal in 2017 and prove he deserves a huge new deal with consistently excellent play that leads to playoff success. That would take us to 2018, when Stafford would be an unrestricted free agent. If he plays hardball and refuses to sign a reasonable deal, the Lions could use the franchise tag to keep him. That would mean Stafford’s next shot at free agency would come in 2019, when he would be 31.

At that point, if Stafford still hasn’t led the Lions to consistent success and a playoff win, I seriously doubt that many NFL general managers would look at Stafford and say, “Pay that man!”

I tend to disagree with much of this article. For example, I can think of quite a few NFL GM's that would pay Stafford if they had the chance. He is a proven, durable QB who is entering his prime. I understand not wanting to pay him the "richest" contract in NFL history but guess what - that is what you do with first and second tier QBs when their contracts come due. In a few years as they continue to escalate. Remember how big Staff's last contract extension seemed to be, doesn't rank in the top 10 anymore...

NFL's highest paid QBs (average salary per year):

Colts QB Andrew Luck: $24.6 million
Saints QB Drew Brees: $24.3 million
Ravens QB Joe Flacco: $22.1 million
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $22 million
Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $21.9 million
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $21.85 million
Cardinals QB Carson Palmer: $21 million
Giants QB Eli Manning: $21 million
Chargers QB Philip Rivers: $20.81 million
Panthers QB Cam Newton: $20.76 million

January 29th, 2017, 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Team President

Post Re: Stafford's Contract Extention
Monarrez has had to write a couple of negative articles this year and none of them have made much sense. All this article really brings up is that the Lions could not give the extension and still control Stafford s rights with the franchise tag. Maybe not a bad business move but would probably have to pay more later if they go that route.

January 29th, 2017, 5:47 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Stafford would get paid in free agency. No way Monarrez can name 32 QB's near Stafford's level. There are always 8+ NFL teams either starting someone they know isn't good enough, or starting someone they desperately hope will pan out.

Just from last season (off the top of my head), you have the Vikings, Bears, Rams, Browns, Bills, Jets, Texans, Jaguars and 49ers who would all be despertate for a Matt Stafford upgrade. The only one of that bunch that might not be in the running for him were he a FA this offseason would be the Rams, and that's only because of the amount they invested in Goff not because of what he's shown.

You really think that with 8+ teams bidding for a QB of Stafford's calibre he wouldn't get to £25m+ pa?

Why would we want to make ourselves one of those teams desperately hoping to hit on a QB through the draft again?

QB salaries rise as the cap rises. Making Stafford the highest paid QB doesn't mean he has to be the NFL's best QB, it just means he's the QB with the most recent deal.

January 30th, 2017, 6:22 am
3rd Round Selection

I actually agree with much of what was in the article.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of Matt Stafford. There are very few player of whom I have been a fan. I am a fan of the team and most players look as good as they do because of the team. Then add in that quarterbacks get too much credit and too much blame. Not to mention I didn't want to draft him. He was probably the best trade bait we ever had.

Having stated where I am coming from, Stafford has improved his quarterback play over the last two years and I believe had his best year ever regardless of yards, losses, wins or even completion percentage. However, it was only one year.

Provide Stafford stays healthy through next season he is going to get paid more regardless of what happens with his contract.

1. He has at least as good a year, gets a pay hiking contract or gets franchised and a pay hike.
2. He plays a little worse, gets a pay hike contract or gets franchised.
3. he plays worse, does not agree to terms with the Lions who decline to franchise him and he gets a pay hiking contract with another team.

In none of these scenarios does anyone lose. Stafford is either doing good enough to keep and gets paid or he proves not to be worth the money, we thank he for his efforts and he still gets paid.

The absolute worst case scenario is that Stafford has a career year next year, gets franchised, has another career year and the Lions and him cannot come to terms on a contract. That is two years to find and groom a replacement. How many New England fans thought the world ended when Bledsloe went down? How many Dallas fans thought the season was over when Romo went down? Keep it in perspective because the real worse case scenario is Stafford has a career ending injury which could happen any where at any time Then what do you do?

February 13th, 2017, 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]