View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rank Matthew Stafford going into 2017 
3rd Round Selection

Post Rank Matthew Stafford going into 2017
Where do you rank Stafford going into the 2017 season? Who do you rank ahead of him?

May 19th, 2017, 11:52 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Rank Matthew Stafford going into 2017
Dan Graziano at ESPN just wrote an article called QB confidence index where he rated the Lions as the 4th best QB situation in the league. Given Stafford hasn't missed a game since 2010 it makes sense he should get a boost over some of the guys that may be better on the field, but don't seem to stay on the field anymore. I think there is a fair argument to be made that Stafford is the 4-5th best QB in the league with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers being the only guys unarguably better.

May 19th, 2017, 12:20 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

beating Brees is becoming a habit now though

May 19th, 2017, 5:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Legend wrote:
beating Brees is becoming a habit now though

Brees has a terrible team and it's only fair I take that into account like I did for Stafford all these years.

May 19th, 2017, 7:22 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Id say somewhere in the top 10 for sure, if he plays like he did last year that quickly becomes top 5

May 19th, 2017, 8:14 pm
RIP Killer

I prefer to tier QBs (and they are somewhat in order within the tiers)

Tier 1 - Brady, Rodgers
Tier 2 - Luck, Ryan
Tier 3 - Wilson, Brees, Roethlisberger, Newton, Stafford, Carr (can shuffle these around how you like depending on system/preference)

That gives you my top 10 and then it is a mess after those guys...

Tier 4 - Rivers, Prescott, Winston, Manning, Dalton, Palmer, Flacco,
Tier 5 - Wentz, Bradford, Cousins, Mariotta, Tannehill, Smith...

May 19th, 2017, 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

I rank Stafford as number one.

As the Lions quarterback. After that I cannot see attempting to rank him against the other quarterbacks. I understand the desire to compare our quarterback to other ones as a means to judge how competitive we can be, but you can't do it that way.

Brady would not be who he is if he played for the Browns. Rogers would not be Rogers if he played for the Browns. This is a team game with far too much of a player's success resting on the players and coaches surrounding them.

In terms of talent and experience he has to rank in the top ten. In terms of managing the team... I think Stafford has shown marked improvement, but he has only played one full season under JBC. I think poor personnel decisions by coaches in regard to the running back situation hurt Stafford's ability to manage the offense better. In other words, I don't think he had the confidence in the running game and that impacted the checks he made at the line. The need to comeback so often and the failure to beat any playoff teams I think underscores this. It is hard to put that on Stafford, but it also makes it hard to evaluate.

As a result I would say he is top 15. He needs better coaching and better playing surrounding him to move beyond that. I think the need to do so much rather than getting the support needed is holding him back.

May 20th, 2017, 8:23 am
RIP Killer

Jafo wrote:
Brady would not be who he is if he played for the Browns. Rogers would not be Rogers if he played for the Browns. This is a team game with far too much of a player's success resting on the players and coaches surrounding them.

Stafford does play for the Browns, actually worse. He joined an 0-16 team with one playoff win since the 1950's, Matt Millen was somehow in charge for his 8th season they finished 30th in offense and 32nd in defense. They started the season against a rookie QB and were down 21-0 in the first quarter and the season continued downhill from there. They were a team that had traded their best defensive player, Shaun Rodgers, before the season and said thought they would be better for it - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should get some credit for actually getting a team like that to the playoffs multiple times now...

BTW - the Browns would not be the Browns if they had Brady or Rodgers under center.

May 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm
Profile WWW

Pablo wrote:

Tier 1 - Brady, Rodgers
Tier 2 - Luck, Ryan
Tier 3 - Wilson, Brees, Roethlisberger, Newton, Stafford, Carr (can shuffle these around how you like depending on system/preference)

Tier 1 - Brady
Tier 2 - Rodgers, Wilson
Tier 3 - Brees, Roethlisberger, Ryan
Tier 4 - Carr, Stafford, Luck, Newton, Rivers, Prescott, Mariota, Romo*
Tier 5 - Manning, Flacco, Cousins, Winston, Palmer,
Tier 6 - Smith, Bradford, Dalton, Wentz, Taylor, Kaepernick,
Tier 7 - Tannehill, Cutler*, Siemian
Tier 8 - Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes
Tier 9 - Bortles,, Kizer, Goff,
Tier 10 - Hoyer, McCown

May 23rd, 2017, 10:41 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Chris Simms has him ranked as the 3rd best qb excluding team accomplishments. http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/5/26 ... her-report

May 27th, 2017, 2:37 pm
3rd Round Selection

Pride of Detroit is asking the same question...

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/5/28 ... pen-thread

For me there are only 4 quarterbacks that I think are better than Stafford at this point:

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Drew Brees
4. Matt Ryan

After that there is a large group of QB that are as good as Stafford but not necessarily better than Stafford like Andrew Luck and Cam Newton.

May 28th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Leo wrote:
Pride of Detroit is asking the same question...

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/5/28 ... pen-thread

For me there are only 4 quarterbacks that I think are better than Stafford at this point:

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Drew Brees
4. Matt Ryan

After that there is a large group of QB that are as good as Stafford but not necessarily better than Stafford like Andrew Luck and Cam Newton.

I think Stafford is in a territory where he could be widely viewed as being in the top 3-5 QBs in the league in the next 2 years. QB ranking is largely based on team success - bad teams put there QBs in too many desperate situations which affect the numbers/stats people use to make these type of rankings and losses/late season swoons cause drops in the rankings.

I feel like Bob Quinn didnt quite think the team is ready to compete for anything more than a wildcard spot this season. Quinn's strategy is still filling out depth and he s not really shown a "go for it" approach. If the Lions have another beyond expectations season this year and make the playoffs, I fully expect the front office to put some finishing touches on this team. That means, going in big for passrushers and an attempt for a real RB. Without those two, Stafford is playing on a handicapped team and the Lions high floor / low ceiling approach and success will limit him somewhat in the rankings.

May 29th, 2017, 9:00 am
Varsity Captain

Pablo wrote:

Tier 1 - Brady, Rodgers
Tier 2 - Luck, Ryan

Explain why Luck is higher than Stafford.

May 30th, 2017, 10:48 pm
Head Cheerleader

Tom Brady is my pick above Stafford.

May 31st, 2017, 7:02 am
RIP Killer

frok wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Tier 1 - Brady, Rodgers
Tier 2 - Luck, Ryan

Explain why Luck is higher than Stafford.

Physically taller and bigger, plus a few years younger. Advantage Luck

As a rookie, threw a TD with 4 seconds left to beat Stafford/Lions after bringing them back from down 33-21. BTW - he threw for over 4K yards that year to set rookie record. Advantage Luck

In his second season he made the Pro Bowl (he also make it the next year). He also made the playoffs and brought his team back from 28 points to win 45-44. Advantage Luck

In fact Luck lead his team to 3-straight playoffs and has 3 career playoff wins (that is 3 more than Stafford). Advantage Luck

Passing - Career QB rating better than Stafford along with TD-to-INT ratio and higher YPA. Advantage Luck

Rushing Career rushing average 5.0 to 3.5. Advantage Luck

Ask just about any neutral fan who they would rather have as their teams QB... Advantage Luck

June 1st, 2017, 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next