View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently February 21st, 2018, 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Lions Coaching Search Thread 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions Coaching Search Thread
Leo wrote:
It sounds like their 3 coaches everybody is interested in McDaniels, Patrica and Schumer with 4 spots to go around. Looks like somebody is not going to have a date to the prom.

Well Patrica is going to the Lions and Schumer to the Giants. As for McDaniels, rumors have him headed to the Titans who fired Mularkey.

January 15th, 2018, 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

Russ Grim might be available right now. Tennessee just offed Mularkey. That would help the OL I think.

January 15th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Team MVP

Pablo wrote:
Leo wrote:
It sounds like their 3 coaches everybody is interested in McDaniels, Patrica and Schumer with 4 spots to go around. Looks like somebody is not going to have a date to the prom.

Well Patrica is going to the Lions and Schumer to the Giants. As for McDaniels, rumors have him headed to the Titans who fired Mularkey.

McDaniels to Indy has been a bigger buzz. I guess we'll see. I think Tennessee makes more sense due to personnel control, but Luck might be the deciding factor. Is his shoulder still going to be an issue next season?

January 15th, 2018, 9:43 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

njroar wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Leo wrote:

McDaniels to Indy has been a bigger buzz. I guess we'll see. I think Tennessee makes more sense due to personnel control, but Luck might be the deciding factor. Is his shoulder still going to be an issue next season?

McDaniels immediately dropped Indy for Tenn once the job opened up according to the current rumors. The thought is that Luck's arm plus Mariota's talent made the Titan's opening more appealing. The Titans are obviously a much better team, seems like a no brainer.

January 15th, 2018, 9:59 pm
Team President - Rod Wood

looks like mcdaniels is still heading to the colts

January 16th, 2018, 9:00 pm

The Legend wrote:

I wonder if the Titan's thing was just a negotiating tactic by him and his agent. It's been said that he wants control where ever he goes, so maybe the Colts weren't offering enough team control earlier.

January 16th, 2018, 9:16 pm
Team MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I wonder if the Titan's thing was just a negotiating tactic by him and his agent. It's been said that he wants control where ever he goes, so maybe the Colts weren't offering enough team control earlier.

I doubt he'll be getting much control over a 2nd year GM, especially one with NE ties. With one, you've got Irsay who's always interjecting and a QB that no one knows if his shoulder will ever be the same, and the other, you have an ownership group that put out speculation about their coach needing to win, then a statement that included "moving forward" twice in consecutive sentences and then fires him the day after saying they were working on a long-term deal. I don't see either of those being decent spots for someone looking for control. Indy at least has someone he's familiar with so he wouldn't be going with his plan alone.

After Detroit, I think Tennessee is the best spot with players in place, but that ownership group would scare me off. Arizona needs a QB, but otherwise, they've got players in place and the owners stay out of the way. NY's locker room is a mess and you have to deal with getting rid of a 2-time Superbowl MVP QB with no replacement on the roster. One of the teams is going to be left without their top options and if the Steelers fire Tomlin, it might drag away someone else as well.

January 16th, 2018, 10:40 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Kris Kocurec is gone. Hired to be the Dolphins Dline coach.

January 18th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Varsity Captain

Pablo wrote:
Leo wrote:

I don't know who the Lions should go after. Sounds lik Patrica is going to be it. Don't like it. He is not the defensive genius some think he is. JMO

Frok.

January 20th, 2018, 1:25 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I wanted McDaniels. A guy who has done it before. Fell on his face. And had time to figure out what he did wrong. And how to correct it.

But, I am good with Patricia also as long as people are patient with him and give him the 5-6 years it takes for a brand new 1st time HC to really learn the role.

January 20th, 2018, 7:00 am
Team MVP

The Pats offense isn't complicated. We have to fix the running game, but our offense isn't the problem. Our defense has been better in yardage, which also is what most go by as defensive rank, but we are mirrors of their defense when it comes to scoring defense. While we only went high in both in 2014, (Caldwell's first season) the rest of the years before and after, we give up a lot of points. The pats usually rank low in defense because they give a lot of yards between the 20's. The difference is they have always ranked in the top 10 in scoring defense under Patricia. And most defensive coaches tend to value and emphasize the run more than offensive coaches do. They want their defenses rested.

I don't think Patricia is a genius or mastermind. I trust the player accounts as well as people who know him who have said he simply gets them to play to the system and do their jobs. He's taught the players how to watch film effectively, not just watch it routinely. He's not a disciplinarian like most think he is. He motivates by helping personally. They were ranked 32nd in scoring through the first 4 weeks of this season. Patricia made adjustments (something we've always complained about here) and they were ranked 1st the following 12 weeks leaving them at 5th in scoring for the season. It's not the talent level on our defense that is the issue, it's the approach to each game. We've consistently given up a lot of points early and the offense had to bail us out or we lose. That doesn't provide an opportunity for a run game to succeed. The run game has other issues, but the defense becoming even 50% better at scoring defense and it's step one of giving the run game a chance. The run scheme needs to change, but making the front 7 more effective is a necessary component of that.

No one knows how he'll do. At least he's with a familiar GM that will put him in a system that's familiar. Quinn has drafted the same type of players the Pats usually do the last 2 seasons, and he's got Slay and Quinn. He doesn't have to rebuild a team. He doesn't need to fix a locker room culture. All of his work is on the football side of things and he knows football. Patricia only has to come in and do what he was doing. I believe he's in the perfect position to succeed because he doesn't have to do too much.

January 20th, 2018, 5:16 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Vrabel reportedly going to Tennessee. For some reason, my gut has been saying he is going to be a good one. Hopefully the Lions actually have their guy lined up, and he is as good as people think..

January 20th, 2018, 10:45 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

I will say this for Patricia, he got Kyle Van Noy to play good!!!!!

January 21st, 2018, 12:15 am

My only concern with Patricia from the start has been the virtual guarantee that he keeps JBC as the OC. I have no confidence in JBC to build and use a run game correctly without significant help. Until the Lions start hiring assistant coaches with one being a run game coordinator that concern is going to remain.

I don't understand people's love for Vrabel. He seems like a guy with potential, but he's a 1 year DC plus a spit in your face type and that can go the way of Jim Schwartz pretty fast. I hope he does well with the Titans, even if he's not a direct Belichick coaching tree guy, it'll help change the anti Belichick coaching tree narrative.

January 21st, 2018, 10:59 am
RIP Killer

I don't get the Vrabel love either - only one year as a DC and his defense ranked dead last in the league, not much of a resume IMO.

January 21st, 2018, 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next