View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 19th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Free Agency 2018. 
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Free Agency 2018.
Shefter's reporting he's agreed to three year deal.

March 10th, 2018, 9:05 pm
NFL Team Captain

Here's the thing. In regards to what the Lions will pursue in FA, we have no idea.
I'm sure they intend to keep it that way. Much like prior to draft day. Keeping their mouths shut. I was pleasantly surprised when BQ signed starting linemen in last year's FA period. Big splash or small potatoes? Can't wait to find out.

March 10th, 2018, 9:15 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

3/$39m to San Fran. Sherman in his situation knew that deal is just too good to be true and pounced on it instead of taking any other visits. The Lions (or any other NFL team) dont need to be tossing around that kind of money on a guy who will possibly never play in another NFL game and even if he does will be a notch or two below what he was in 2017 where he was still very good but not the top flight player from a few years ago. He was in decline before the injury. Im in favor of the Lions locking up Lawson or even Hayden for another 2-3 years (price dependent of course) to give them some flexibility and freedom to look at other positions they need to upgrade.

March 10th, 2018, 10:09 pm
NFL Team Captain

The Legend wrote:
3/$39m to San Fran. Sherman in his situation knew that deal is just too good to be true and pounced on it instead of taking any other visits. The Lions (or any other NFL team) dont need to be tossing around that kind of money on a guy who will possibly never play in another NFL game and even if he does will be a notch or two below what he was in 2017 where he was still very good but not the top flight player from a few years ago. He was in decline before the injury. Im in favor of the Lions locking up Lawson or even Lawson for another 2-3 years (price dependent of course) to give them some flexibility and freedom to look at other positions they need to upgrade.

Could be they're counting on Tabor to move to outside? I was hoping for an upgrade to Lawson. Maybe that's resigning Hayden.
The supposed interest in Sherman could just have been kicking the tires to see if there was mutual interest and if he was going to recover. If they were serious about Sherman, why not pursue Trumaine Johnson? Probably talking about the same kind of money. It would be nice to have solid corners on both ends, that's gotta help our pass rush. With the money they have we should be able to improve both the liability at CB and DT, and there are DT's available in FA. Whatever they do, I believe the biggest improvement we'll see is the overall level play resulting from better coaching.

March 11th, 2018, 12:43 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:
3/$39m to San Fran. Sherman in his situation knew that deal is just too good to be true and pounced on it instead of taking any other visits. The Lions (or any other NFL team) dont need to be tossing around that kind of money on a guy who will possibly never play in another NFL game and even if he does will be a notch or two below what he was in 2017 where he was still very good but not the top flight player from a few years ago. He was in decline before the injury. Im in favor of the Lions locking up Lawson or even Lawson for another 2-3 years (price dependent of course) to give them some flexibility and freedom to look at other positions they need to upgrade.

Could be they're counting on Tabor to move to outside? I was hoping for an upgrade to Lawson. Maybe that's resigning Hayden.
The supposed interest in Sherman could just have been kicking the tires to see if there was mutual interest and if he was going to recover. If they were serious about Sherman, why not pursue Trumaine Johnson? Probably talking about the same kind of money. It would be nice to have solid corners on both ends, that's gotta help our pass rush. With the money they have we should be able to improve both the liability at CB and DT, and there are DT's available in FA. Whatever they do, I believe the biggest improvement we'll see is the overall level play resulting from better coaching.

The rumor was that the 49ers were not going to let Sherman leave without a deal and that's probably why Sherman hadn't locked down a date with the Lions. I expect the Lions will show interest in Johnson and probably the recently released Rodgers-Cromartie too. Sherman was just the first to be available since he wasn't stuck waiting for the FA period. Patricia is the type of coach that preaches competition, no way he's going into FA counting on a 2nd year prospect to be the second starter even if he thinks the kid can do the job.

I like the idea of just re-signing Lawson for a short term deal. Earlier in the off-season I thought Lawson would be expensive to retain, but with multiple big name vets being released Lawson shouldn't see as much interest.

March 11th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Looks like DeMarco Murray is scheduled for a Monday visit. It would be nice if they can sign him to a cheap deal. He's past his prime, but would give the Lions a guy that could actually handle short yardage runs.

March 12th, 2018, 12:00 am
NFL Team Captain

rao wrote:
Looks like DeMarco Murray is scheduled for a Monday visit. It would be nice if they can sign him to a cheap deal. He's past his prime, but would give the Lions a guy that could actually handle short yardage runs.

Jonathan Stewart also. Is Frank Gore next?

March 12th, 2018, 9:28 am
Team MVP

liontrax wrote:
The Legend wrote:

It's possible Tabor or Agnew could make the move. Depends on how they work out in camp this year. Also, the draft is deep in the secondary. Maybe not for true shutdown, but when the entire safety group outside 3 players run a sub 4.6, you can see the trend in college of corners move to safety, so I don't think they're too worried about grabbing someone at that position. Because every position has to cover now to deal with the spread offenses, coverage skills across the board are in a much better place than in the past.

March 12th, 2018, 2:38 pm

liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:

Jonathan Stewart also. Is Frank Gore next?

The scary thing is that Gore at 34-35 yrs old is probably still the best of the 3 as an individual.

I really like the profile they are bringing in to look at with Murray and Stewart. Both big 220+ guys known to get short yardage and can still catch out of the back field. If they can get one of these older guys on a cheap or incentive based deal it would be a good start to fixing the run game while still having big resources to help other parts of the team. Ideally I would like to see them get Hernandez and Nick Chubb in some way in the 1st two rounds of the draft, but getting a good deal on a vet RB and drafting another in the mid rounds would be nice too.

March 12th, 2018, 4:45 pm
League MVP

Resigned Tavon Wilson for 2 years. And it looks like whitehead is done. Signed 2 Linebackers. Devon Kennard for 3 years and Christian Jones for 2

March 13th, 2018, 12:48 pm

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Resigned Tavon Wilson for 2 years. And it looks like whitehead is done. Signed 2 Linebackers. Devon Kennard for 3 years and Christian Jones for 2

Lawson resigned now.

March 13th, 2018, 7:15 pm
League MVP

Pack getting Jimmy Graham and Mohammed Wilkerson. And Cousins to the Vikes.

March 13th, 2018, 8:49 pm
Player of the Year - Offense

Uninspiring moves, but with teams desperate teams overpaying for players that are just decent and/or coming off of injury, I think we're content to stand pat.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

March 14th, 2018, 7:41 am
League MVP

Hayden to the Jags and Fells to the Browns. Fells was decent and had good blocking. Step back for the running game. Guess Ebron isn't going anywhere.

March 14th, 2018, 8:54 am

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Uninspiring moves, but with teams desperate teams overpaying for players that are just decent and/or coming off of injury, I think we're content to stand pat.

Yeah, the moves don't make you go wow. Glad none of them are making me go "oh no." Even the deals they did make were a little more expensive than I expected.

March 14th, 2018, 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next