View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Detroit Lions Re-Sign Linebacker Wali Rainer 
Modmin Dude

Post Detroit Lions Re-Sign Linebacker Wali Rainer
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=411346

April 6th, 2005, 11:45 am
RIP Killer

That could mean waiting until next year to draft a stud MLB. I couldn't see them drafting one unless someone slips almost a full round.

April 6th, 2005, 11:50 am
RIP Killer

Man, that messes up the article I posted today! :(

I had anticipated the Lions to keep 7 linebackers on the roster next season (5 on the outside, 2 in the middle - counting Teddy as a OLB).

We now have 7 LBs signed on the roster (Holmes, Bailey, Lehman, Davis, Curry, Lewis and Rainer).

That also, by my calculations, gives the Lions 44 players of the 53 man roster pretty well set (not counting PS players and players who could get cut).

Let's say all six current draft picks, then the team has 50 players and still have unsigned players like Drummond, Goodman, FitzSimmons and a couple more WRs and CBs. Should be interesting.....

April 6th, 2005, 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
All State

speaking of drummond, why hasn't he resigned yet? isn't there a deadline this month to resign your own players or they become outright free agents?

April 6th, 2005, 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

How many years was he signed for? I'm actually surprised that some other team didn't take a run at Wali. He is a pretty good run stuffer.

April 6th, 2005, 1:15 pm
RIP Killer

This is kind of off topic and stems from Pablo's comment on Troy Brown.

We already have Bryant, Bly, Keith Smith who's a good CB IMO, and Cash. Also, Mike Echols was signed mid March. I like the idea of getting Troy Brown. Especially considering we've got decent CBs as it is. I have no idea about Echols and Brown would be a great addition to the bunch since he can play WR and KR. That would be a great move IMO. If Brown was signed, I would still say sign Goodman because of the injuries we've had in the past at CB.

April 6th, 2005, 1:30 pm
NFL Team Captain

It's great to see the Lions signing their backups. We need that core to be solidified for a couple of years. Now the need to get after the DE's and get them signed. That way next years draft will all be icing on the cake.

April 7th, 2005, 8:50 am
League MVP

As far as the # LBs we have signed, I dont think it precludes us from drafting a top LB in rd 1 or 2 if one falls to us. Rainer and Curry both are on 1 year deals, both could be cut with little penalty in camp. If DJ falls in Rd1 or Channing Crowder rd2 then we can still grab them. In camp we'd probably see Lehman/Davis/(poss draft pick) vs Holmes for MLB. Address Boss' health at SLB and fill in the OLBs as needed w/ the guys we have. Holmes could be gone if the young fellas show they can play the middle w/ Rainer staying as a capable, experienced backup MLB.
The Lions are just facing the reality of the situation that DJ probably wont be there at #10. This way if they dont get a good value they still have quality depth players at all LB postions who handle sp teams (remember its 1/3 of the game and the Lions are good at it).

April 7th, 2005, 11:43 am
RIP Killer

I thought Donte Curry signed a three year deal?

April 7th, 2005, 5:00 pm
League MVP

You are correct Curry is on a deal through 2007. Still I think that we have enough flexibility there to add a guy in the draft or be able to sit still...

April 8th, 2005, 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]