View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 8:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who will be the Lions #2 CB by the end of next season? 

Poll ended at April 27th, 2005, 11:20 am
Fernando Bryant 63%  63%  [ 22 ]
Chris Cash 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Keith Smith 34%  34%  [ 12 ]
Draft Pick 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 35

RIP Killer

Post Who will be the Lions #2 CB by the end of next season?
Bryant will likely start the 2005 season as the #2 corner, I'm curious who everyone thinks will end the season as the starting #2 CB?

April 7th, 2005, 11:20 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Keith Smith is the most likely to take Bryant's job IMO. He's a good CB.

April 7th, 2005, 11:22 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

I think the Lions wil stick with Bryant because they've invested a lot in him.

April 7th, 2005, 11:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin

I believe Convo was waging on Bryant getting injured...

April 7th, 2005, 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

Definatly Smith we were lucky to have him drop to us in the 3rd

April 7th, 2005, 3:05 pm
QB Coach

"Toast" will get beat out by Keith Smith... mark my words. evil6.gif

April 7th, 2005, 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
All State

"Toast" will get beat out by Keith Smith... mark my words. evil6.gif

consider them marked brian. i'm betting that smith will eat toast for breakfast by midseason. :lol:

April 8th, 2005, 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I think that Bryant will start if he doesn't he will be a huge bust that the lions overpayed for...is their a chance that we will cut him June 1? i think it would be dumb but dumb things do happen!! :shock: :shock:

April 8th, 2005, 1:31 pm
RIP Killer

I think that Bryant will start if he doesn't he will be a huge bust that the lions overpayed for...is their a chance that we will cut him June 1? i think it would be dumb but dumb things do happen!! :shock: :shock:

Doubtfully. Bryant's cap hit would be over $6M.

Wouldn't Marion be a cap hit if we cut him June 1? Like $1.9M?

April 8th, 2005, 1:47 pm
Stadium Announcer

I hope Bryant is! That means he panned out and we didnt waste our money in free agency. I like Chris cash but as a back up or nickle corner,.

April 8th, 2005, 2:29 pm
League MVP

Bryant is the #2 CB. He doesnt make big plays like Bly but the two are close. I expect Bryant to have another solid season vs the pass and run as he has had throughout his career. The gap between Bryant and Smith right now is pretty big. Smith sat behind both Chris Cash and Andre Goodman last season. Smith certainly appears to have all the physical tools but development is an issue as he played against low level college competition. He will be solid with time. I think Goodman is the more talented player but he has concentration lapses that make him a liability plus he is not playing the run as aggressively as when he was a rookie. Cash is the least talented but the toughest, I expect him to have a better season now that he is in the 2nd year after recovering from knee surgery, him and Smith will compete for nickel roles.

April 8th, 2005, 3:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Bryant is the #2 CB. He doesnt make big plays like Bly but the two are close. I expect Bryant to have another solid season vs the pass and run as he has had throughout his career. The gap between Bryant and Smith right now is pretty big. Smith sat behind both Chris Cash and Andre Goodman last season. Smith certainly appears to have all the physical tools but development is an issue as he played against low level college competition. He will be solid with time. I think Goodman is the more talented player but he has concentration lapses that make him a liability plus he is not playing the run as aggressively as when he was a rookie. Cash is the least talented but the toughest, I expect him to have a better season now that he is in the 2nd year after recovering from knee surgery, him and Smith will compete for nickel roles.

I think this is a fairly realistic evaluation of the cornerback position and I suspect it might be added to in the draft. And if I were to rate them now I'd go:

1) Dre Bly
2) Fernando Bryant
3) Andre' Goodman
4) Keith Smith
5) Chris Cash
6) All the rest

Here's my dilemma; I've heard that Smith may play some at FS, spelling Brock Marrion. And, that Mooch isn't that thrilled with Terrence Holt. (Which I don't understand - I think he's been very good given the amount of playing time he's had).

I think SS is a lock with Kenoy Kennedy and Walker as back up.

So given all that...

What will the depth cart of the secondary look like this year?

April 17th, 2005, 9:05 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

I think it is hard to tell at this point esp w the possibility of taking a CB in rd1 or a safety in any of rds1-3 which could make it a competition between guys like Goodman, Cash, V. Fox and Bracy Walker for a couple left over spots on the team...For now:
CB- Bly, Cash, Goodman
FS- Marion, Holt
SS- Kennedy, Bracy Walker, V. Fox
CB- Bryant, Smith
I am hoping that Bracy doesnt make the team. We have plenty of young guys who can fill in on special teams and gain a little experience. Walker just doesnt do a nice job when he has to play SS. Wouldnt mind seeing someone in the draft join our safety pool. I think the CBs are fine but it would be hard to pass on Rolle in rd1 or Marlin Jackson and Corey Webster in round 2 if they are there...

April 17th, 2005, 10:04 am
Hall of Fame Player

I think it is hard to tell at this point esp w the possibility of taking a CB in rd1 or a safety in any of rds1-3 which could make it a competition between guys like Goodman, Cash, V. Fox and Bracy Walker for a couple left over spots on the team...For now:
CB- Bly, Cash, Goodman
FS- Marion, Holt
SS- Kennedy, Bracy Walker, V. Fox
CB- Bryant, Smith
I am hoping that Bracy doesnt make the team. We have plenty of young guys who can fill in on special teams and gain a little experience. Walker just doesnt do a nice job when he has to play SS. Wouldnt mind seeing someone in the draft join our safety pool. I think the CBs are fine but it would be hard to pass on Rolle in rd1 or Marlin Jackson and Corey Webster in round 2 if they are there...

I agree it is hard to tell right now but I see it a little differently. I see the cornerback position in more need of help than the safety position. With the exception of Walker it's a reasonably sound unit with both experience (Marrion & Kennedy) and young talent (Holt and maybe Smith). I'm not opposed to an upgrade of Walker but it's an issue of cost Vs. benefits.

On the other hand if something happens to Bly or Bryant it goes to Smith - that's a sizable drop off in talent. We're then counting on Goodman or Cash at nickle and while I can't say that they are terrible I can't say that they are reliable either. Furthermore, one or both are always hurt.

Bottom line is we do need someone else in the secondary - corner IMO - who can be a solid and depedable player off the bench.

April 17th, 2005, 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

I actually think Smith may step into the #2 spot by midseason if Bryant doesn't make a huge improvement. I do understand that injuries played a large role in Bryant's poor play last year, but I also think Keith Smith just has more natural talent and with a full season and a half under his belt he'll make it real hard to keep off the field. As a former DB, you'd hope Jauron can weigh talent over contract money.

Either way - you really NEED 3 very good corners and good safeties in this league today. The rules have shifted so far in the WR favor that Man on man coverage is almost a thing of the past. You need a full DB unit that is cohesive and knows their responsibilities (along with a solid pass rush)

April 17th, 2005, 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next