View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Derrick Johnson 

Do you think if we draft Derrick Johnson he will be an imediate impact?
Yes 97%  97%  [ 31 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Derrick Johnson 
RIP Killer

April 11th, 2005, 7:37 am
Stadium Announcer

But If I remember correctly they played lehman on the strong side last year and he played very well. It was the MLB position that he had troubles with... I think he can play both SS and WS

April 11th, 2005, 11:31 am
RIP Killer

Yeah, you're right. He did play in place of Bailey last year, not extremely well IMO. I think he'd do a better job at WS though because he is better chasing the ball, sideline to sideline than Bailey is.

April 11th, 2005, 11:47 am
RIP Killer

Yeah, you're right. He did play in place of Bailey last year, not extremely well IMO. I think he'd do a better job at WS though because he is better chasing the ball, sideline to sideline than Bailey is.

Maybe not well as compared to a veteran, but he played well for a rookie playing in a position he really isn't built for. You don't make that many tackles by playing poorly. But I agree that Lehman will start on the weak side. Curry is the backup at SAM, Davis and Lewis the backups at WILL. Rainer is backing up Holmes at MIKE. If Holmes is cut, it will only be because the Lion picked up a player in the draft, not to relocate a current rostered player.

April 11th, 2005, 12:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

What is really the diff between WS and SS? I think that they are pretty interchangable. I guess SS would have to be able to cover the TE, but thats the biggest diff. I see.

April 11th, 2005, 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

You're right strong side would cover the tight end. That becomes more important as the game is leaning towards effective usage of the TE.

The SS LB has to be big and strong enough to stop the TE and fast enough to catch him in pass coverage.

That was the rap on Kellen Winslow last year - to fast for LB's and to big for Safeties and Corners.

April 11th, 2005, 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

You can make lot of tackles by playing poorly and playing all the time. Teams would run right at Lehman knowing they would get yards regardless of if he eventually made the tackle. 2 of Lehman's 98 tackles were for losses. He had 1 sack. Boss Bailey as a rookie played less snaps made 88 tackles, 6 for loss and 1.5 sacks. 2 years ago Donte Curry as the stand in SLB also had more sacks, tackles for loss, and forced fumbles than Lehman.

April 11th, 2005, 9:49 pm
RIP Killer

You can make lot of tackles by playing poorly and playing all the time.

And out of position...or maybe that was a result of playing poorly. Either way.

April 12th, 2005, 8:08 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

You did not just diss Tedy Highway!!!!!! I have not been really taken aback by his skills, but I usually am not watching the linebackers. The only way I know someone is good is by noticing him do something good. I am confused about the number of tackles. Detroitlions.com always had Tedy having a huge number of tackles, but on the Pro Bowl ballot, he had a lot less.

April 12th, 2005, 8:45 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

You can make lot of tackles by playing poorly and playing all the time. Teams would run right at Lehman knowing they would get yards regardless of if he eventually made the tackle. 2 of Lehman's 98 tackles were for losses. He had 1 sack. Boss Bailey as a rookie played less snaps made 88 tackles, 6 for loss and 1.5 sacks. 2 years ago Donte Curry as the stand in SLB also had more sacks, tackles for loss, and forced fumbles than Lehman.

I never said he played outstandingly, or as well as Boss. But I think it's unfair to say he played poorly because he didn't get more tackles for loss or sacks. He isn't built for the position, as I stated in my post, and that has much to do with it. So if you combine his being too small, a rookie, and playing for a DC and HC who don't blitz him or stunt him too often, then I wouldn't be too hard on him. If you feel he played poorly then fine, but I for one think he did OK.

April 12th, 2005, 10:06 am
Hall of Fame Player

I think what you just said is a much more accurate assessment of Lehman's play. He may not have set the world on fire but he certainly did OK. Particularly for an undersized rookie. As he gains experience and a few lbs. I think he'll become a very good LB.

April 12th, 2005, 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I was browsing the LRZ MB and I came across Chewy's self-described "opinion" that were DJ available to us at #10, he might make great trade bait...personally, I think on its face, the statement is undoubtedly true, but I would be just sick about it until I knew that the two players the Lions got in return were equally sure to improve the team.

HB said it best:
Quote:
Dallas or San Diego. I want both their first rounders and maybe an extra late round pick if they want DJ.

Otherwise I'm keeping him. You are going to get raped if DJ falls to us and you want him.

It would have to be brutal to assuage my unbridled rage and grievous sense of loss....

BTW, I do not claim to be the least bit rational about this...[note sig]

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 12th, 2005, 2:00 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I thought the plan was to move Lehman back to his college postion of WOLB but I now have heard several times that Detroit is looking to try him in the middle again this year and play James Davis at WOLB again this year.

April 12th, 2005, 2:05 pm
RIP Killer

I thought the plan was to move Lehman back to his college postion of WOLB but I now have heard several times that Detroit is looking to try him in the middle again this year and play James Davis at WOLB again this year.

That's what people believe, but I think it's just forum rumor. At least I hope that Lehman doesn't get put in at MLB full time. I thought it might be a good idea, but then I remembered how he played there.

April 12th, 2005, 2:17 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I did here that they might experiment rotating him with Holmes at MLB. However, I don't know if that will really happen.

But...

If we get DJ in the draft it just might.

April 12th, 2005, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2