View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2014, 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions to trade pick for Abraham? 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Lions to trade pick for Abraham?
I found this on another site and was wondering if anyone else has heard about it.

"WDFN radio in Detroit has reported that the Jets are offering Abraham to the Lions in exchange for the #10 pick in the first round. Lion's brass are considering the move as they are still looking to fill a void on the defensive end and they feel no one at the 10th spot is worth the pick. Expect this deal to be hammered out in the next day or so."

If there is any truth to it, I don't think I like it. I don't particularly like his attitude and think he would expect way too much money, not to mention his durability issues.

April 10th, 2005, 3:37 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Last I heard, the Jets were looking for more. I think Dallas or Minnesota are likely spots for him to land. Both have two 1st round picks.

April 10th, 2005, 7:03 am
Profile YIM WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I seriously doubt an injured and aging DE will command a first round pick. A second rounder at the very best. We cannot add his salary anyway.

April 10th, 2005, 7:31 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I dont want nothing to do with Abraham. If you listen to ESPN's Mike & Mike, well MIke Greenberg is a huge Jets fan. He is always talking about what a crybaby Abraham is. He says the Jet players cant stand him and the slighest injury makes him sit out games. He even missed a Jet playoff game, and several of his teamates said off the record that he could have played.

Give up a first round draft choice for him, not a chance. As Mike Greenberg said recently he would trade Abraham for a Snow White DVD.

April 10th, 2005, 7:54 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post John Abraham
I don't know that much about John Abraham but he's only 26 (going on 27) and had 10 sacks last year. So I don't know that I could call him 'aging'. And he had 10 sacks so that's not bad.

I'd much rather have Darren Howard from New Orleans for the pick but I'd be willing to learn more about Abraham.

What this tells me though is that Millen is doing his job and doing it well by investigating all options. AND, he really wants a DE to replace Edwards.

April 10th, 2005, 9:19 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

No way the Lions trade away our #10 pick for him. He's a cancer and a cry baby. The second rounder would be too much, IMO. I'd offer no more than our third. Abraham can play, but only when he wants to. You're getting paid punk, play if you can walk.

April 10th, 2005, 9:43 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Remember last time we traded a number one pick for defensive player who was supposed to better at rushing the QB than anybody who available in the draft.

We got stuck with Pat Swilling who turned out to be a major bust and the Saints got all-pro LT Willie Roaf.

Anyway, I never understand wanting to pick up other teams problems. If the guy was worth keeping or paying the other team would already be doing it.

April 10th, 2005, 12:28 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I remember the Pat Swilling disaster well!

Do you feel the same way about Darren Howard? He is the real deal.

April 10th, 2005, 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I liked John Abraham's resurgence last year and wanted him on our team before they re-signed him.

A trade for our first rounder is a bit much though. Yorick is right in that a trade for a pick would be a 2nd rounder at best... but I would only offer a 3rd round or maybe a 4th if they really want to unload him.

April 10th, 2005, 1:45 pm
Profile WWW

Only 27? I thought he was a bit older, still, that position relies upon explosion, the first thing to go. In fact its effects normally set in at about this time. I think you will find few DEs that had a career sack year after 30. In fact, I think most display a precipitious decline at about that time and those who fare best are the more power rushers. You continue to get stronger until you are in your late 30 or so, normally speaking.

April 10th, 2005, 1:47 pm
League MVP

I wouldnt give up a 1st round pick for him but he is a very good player and would be a big upgrade at DE, even though I like Redding's potential. Would absolutely be worth a 2nd rounder though. He is indeed only 26 years old, not a declining player by any means. As for declining w age, Robert Porcher had his best seasons from age 27-32, with 15 sacks at age 30 and 11 at age 32. Coach Tony Dungy said this about Abraham's injury, a knee sprain:
"When a player can't go full speed you really don't want to put him in harm's way," Edwards said. "It's best for John, best for the team until he can go full speed he shouldn't play. He's going to do everything he can this week to try to be prepared."
He missed the final few games of the reg season and the playoff loss to Pitt, but he did have his coach's support. Edwards is not one to sugarcoat things for the media...

April 10th, 2005, 6:18 pm

You made some good points. My main point is that he collects a lot money for someone on the downside of his career. Maybe that downside is still 4-5 years off as you suggest, but with the injury bug thing, I would pass. The salary and ammunition it would take to get him would be too steep.

April 10th, 2005, 9:16 pm
Cheerleader

Millen should be fired if he makes a bonehead move like this. He is on the downside of his career commands too much money and gives too many excuses when things do not go well for him. Draft someone like DJ, Merriman or Rolle. They will help us much more.

April 11th, 2005, 1:38 pm
Peewee Leaguer

When I heard the Darren Howard rumor last week, all I could think of is the Swilling deal. And every year after that when Barry could have been running behind Willie Roaf it stuck in my craw.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

April 11th, 2005, 2:12 pm
League MVP

I have never understood why people think the Barry O-lines were so bad. They had perennial Pro Bowlers Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown and were never afraid to add free agent OL like Barret Brooks or Ray Roberts. Yes the Swilling deal was a bad deal esp. bc the player the Lions wanted all along was Roaf who was there w the pick. But the Lions ran draw plays nearly every down. You dont need the best of lineman to run those anyways.

For Abraham, I think his price could come down. TO only netted a #2 pick right?

April 11th, 2005, 9:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next