View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 DE idea 
Water Boy

Post DE idea
Hey Guys its my first post. I've been reading for a while and realy like the board. Everybody has real good manners and well thought out post. Some of the boards I have seen are a mess.

I read an article ( I can't remmember where) that the Saints wanted to trade DE Howard for a 1st or 2nd. I would like to see us trade 1st rd picks so we would have 16 and they take 10.

He was franchised but I think he would be a good p/u he is 27 and productive. I think he would take a 5 year deal and be happy.

At 16 we could take Clayton or Pool.

What do you think?

April 10th, 2005, 11:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

First of all welcome to Lionbacker - glad you're here.

The Darren Howard trade is an intriguing one and of great interest to me. It's been discussed here as well as a similar deal for John Abraham of the Jets.

I know that the Cowboys couldn't get a deal done with New Orleans for Howard. I guess I'm really not sure what they want. If, it's as you implied, they want to exchange our 1st rounds (our 10 for their 16) and us give them our 2nd round - that might be hard to turn down. I suspect NO wants more than that; but I just don't know. It seems to me that Jerry Jones would have given in to that deal too.

Some would say not to take someone else's handoffs especially at Howard's age of 28 (29 in Nov). I don't know that I agree with that - and if that's the case look at Abraham who's 27 next month. They have very similar stats.

The bottom line is I believe we need an upgrade at DE to play opposite James Hall and I personally am not opposed to a trade to get the right guy. In either case we need to make cap room but that is quite doable.

I prefer to use our 1st round pick on Darren Howard, OLB, but that's not a sure thing.

If this trade did come down - and we had Howard - AND had a pick at 16. I'd love to hear other opinions - but I'd think about trading down 6 - 10 spots, get us a new 2nd round pick and try to get Heath Miller. (This assumes Charles Rogers is healthy - if not I'd have to replace him).

April 11th, 2005, 4:56 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

My main sticking point is philosophical: we are not at that point of breaking the bank to get that one key FA for a Superbowl drive. In fact, our finances are pretty tight. I am not sure these salaries are realistic, although they could be signed to cap friendly deals I am sure.

April 11th, 2005, 6:37 am
RIP Killer

There's a discussion on this under the "NFL Draft" thread. Check that out as well.

April 11th, 2005, 7:35 am
Varsity Captain

:arrow: Welcome aboard calion. I also feel that a trade for Howard would help our pass rush, but I also agree it could eventually lead to cap trouble. It is an intriguing possibility, but it would depend on how much cap room we could create.

:arrow:

April 11th, 2005, 10:32 am
Profile YIM
Peewee Leaguer

It just brings up too many horrible memories of the Pat Swilling/Willie Roaf incident years ago. I still bear the mental scars.

I am 35, and even though during my life the Lions have "bit the dust" more than their opponents have, I am forever a loyal fan. For some strange reason, I still believe that I will see the Lions in the Super Bowl in my lifetime.

April 11th, 2005, 2:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]