View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Question Re: Alex Smith scenario... 
Bubbles the Lion

Post Question Re: Alex Smith scenario...
:?: If the Lions were seriously looking at taking at drafting a QB in the first round, why would Smith be the only one they brought in here? Why not take a look at Rogers as well? Realistically speaking, although it's unlikely, either one could be there at 10, and it seems kind of funny that they just brought one in for a visit, if they're truly looking for a new QB...

April 11th, 2005, 10:40 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Question Re: Alex Smith scenario...
bonitachiquita wrote:
:?: If the Lions were seriously looking at taking at drafting a QB in the first round, why would Smith be the only one they brought in here? Why not take a look at Rogers as well? Realistically speaking, although it's unlikely, either one could be there at 10, and it seems kind of funny that they just brought one in for a visit, if they're truly looking for a new QB...

Well first, it is a big IF... Conventual wisdom has the niners taking Rogers with the first pick. I think it is almost a 100% certain that he won't be around at 10.

Smith will likely be off the board as well at 10, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. If Smith does slip to ten, then the Lions need to show some interest in him to increase the picks trade value with other teams (remember how they fleeced the Browns last year after convincing them they would take Winslow). Same concept here. It's for trade value purposes, I don't see the Lions taking a QB in round one (or two for that matter).

April 11th, 2005, 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Thanks for clarifying, Pablo. It was just interesting to me, because I had heard on ESPN that the 49ers were actually looking a Smith, contrary to the popular opinion of them taking Rogers.

It would make sense to me then, that if the Lions really were looking at a QB, that they would bring him in as well...

April 11th, 2005, 10:57 am
Varsity Captain

:arrow: You do make a very good point about bringing Rodgers in too. I also feel it is a smokescreen, but if SF takes Smith the bluff will go for not.

:arrow:

April 11th, 2005, 11:02 am
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

No problem. The niners likely want to trade out of their pick. They are trying to create a "buzz" about the top of the draft. They are in contract negotiations with 3 players already (Rogers, Smith and Edwards if memory serves me correct).

I don't see the niners taking Smith. Rogers, being a CAL guy, will put fans in the seats at SF. There is a lot of "smoke and mirrors" tatics being taken right now by GMs. Should only get more intense these last two weeks. Just part of the fun associated with the draft. :wink:

April 11th, 2005, 11:03 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

No problem. The niners likely want to trade out of their pick. They are trying to create a "buzz" about the top of the draft. They are in contract negotiations with 3 players already (Rogers, Smith and Edwards if memory serves me correct)

Rolle as well.

April 11th, 2005, 11:40 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I think the Lions have looked at many players slated to go before they pick as do other teams. Smith is a big deal because of people's feelings for Harrington. They skipped on Rodgers probably because he is less of an athlete and not under consideration even if he slipped.

April 11th, 2005, 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]